Switched from iPhone to SGSIIE4GT. First Impressions

Jotexozo

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Edit: All of the issues I was experiencing were answered by the extremely helpful members of this forum. Now that my phone has a Matrix live wallpaper (so cheesy, yet so cool) and I'm able to control my Spotify music from the lock screen, I couldn't be more thrilled with the new phone. Thanks, forum!!

The name is too long. Also, I switched from iPhone 3GS. Wife has the 4.

This phone is fast. Really, really fast. The screen has better blacks and colors than either of the iPhones. Pixel density isn't as high as the 4, but everything else looks so good, it really doesn't matter.

The browser is mildly annoying. The text is too small and if I zoom in, I have to scroll sideways as I'm reading. If anyone knows of a browser where the text wraps and re-sizes itself, I would be very grateful for the recommendation.

Sprint's network is slower that AT&T's. I think everyone knew that already though, and I can still stream Spotify/Di.fm in the car, so I'm happy.

I like the customizable unlock screen. I like the home screens. I like the Gmail integration. I like the Skype integration. It seems as though Android as a whole is a much more powerful OS that iOS in that it gives developers some freedom to actually control functions within the OS (e.g. default browser, phone, etc.) I almost cried when I saw a file browser (not really [but really {but not really}]). I am thoroughly impressed.

now for some questions:

I can't figure out how to add stuff to Widget Locker. I can't figure out what Beautiful Widgets actually does.

Can I put a screen rotation lock toggle on one of the home screens?

Is there some type of noob guide for technical people somewhere? I don't really feel like fiddling.

Are there any good Synth/DAW apps?

Overall, I couldn't be more pleased. I feel as though many of the quirks that I am experiencing are due to a lack of knowledge on my part. Also, the android smiley faces are win.

Last edited:

niannello

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm in the same boat as you. I had a new iphone each year and just switched from iphone 4 from at&t. i also noticed that the speeds are slower and the coverage is not as good as at&t in middle tennessee. i love the android OS so far too. The biggest prob i have so far is the fact that the android market has sooo few apps compared to the apple app store. I know its growing, but i just miss a lot of apps and games i had. the e4gt is very fast! very happy so far, if only the coverage was a little better and the market would have some keys apps i used to use.

you can find a noob guide sticky on the thread that shows a ton of stuff. it really helped me learn about the phone and android.

niannello

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
another thing i love about android is that right out of the box it is somewhat jailbroken compared to iphone out of the box. meaning, from the get go you can do a lot of things you would have needed to jailbreak the iphone to do.

another thing you want to keep in mind is the mobile to desktop view command, in the browser search about:useragent and then select desktop. great little trick. it resets so you have to do it again when you exit the browser or restart.

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
I can't figure out how to add stuff to Widget Locker. I can't figure out what
Go to apps and open Widgetlocker to go into Tool Mode. Press menu, select add, then choose what you want to add. The rest is pretty straightforward.

On the homescreen, press menu and select Add. Choose Widgets and then you will see the Beautiful Widgets that are available. Adding widgets is different from adding app shortcuts, and some widgets don't have an actual app to open.

And try Dolphin HD from the market. It's free and does text reflow and saves the user agent setting between sessions. I also like to use a flick up gesture to close tab.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I will be giving up my iPhone 4 (again) for an Android device (GSII). Ordered it yesterday, should come tomorrow. I'm going to give it a trial run. I still love my iPhone 4, but I may need to bigger screen. We will see.

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Download Opera Browser or Opera Mini from the marketplace. Much better and faster than stock browser.

I tried it out yesterday (I think Opera Mobile, but it's odd that they have Mobile and Mini) but found it be slower than the stock browser so I uninstalled it.

For the desktop view issue, I find the easiest way is just to bookmark the page when you've selected the desktop view of the webpage so that it always goes to desktop view with that bookmark. It would be nice if there was a selectable option for mobile/desktop view though (like Opera, Skyfire, etc.).

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to Android. My wife currently has a 3GS and is eligible for her upgrade. After I brought my E4GT home and she got a chance to play with it, the iPhone 5 is going to have to really impress her or she may be coming to Android as well, although with AT&T's version of the GSII.

For a couple of your questions:

Widget Locker - I suggest you mess with it. It doesn't take long to get the hang of it once you play with the features a bit. You want to open the Application from your App drawer, which enters Widget Locker's "Tool Mode". From there, you can long press items that are already on the screen, to delete, resize and edit how they look and what they do. You can also long press an area on the screen to create a new item. You can put widgets, application shortcuts and sliders on your lock screen, as well as change the background of course. Some people like to have a music player widget on their lockscreen, so you can interact with your music player without unlocking your phone. Lots of options here. There's also a lot of custom themes out there.

Screen rotation:

I don't believe you can have screen rotation on for certain home screens and off for others. I believe its an "all or nothing" scenario. There could be an App or custom launcher that does this though.

Enjoy your new phone and try not to let the wife get too jealous! ;)

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the good side! For tips and whatnot, read the stickies above. Also any guide by milomindbender will set you straight. Enjoy!

Sent from a pocket-sized computer that also makes calls

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I love hearing stories of people jumping ship from the iPhone, although I hope not to many do. Once to many people jump we won't be the cool guys anymore but we will become the posers:p

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site
Are you still having the "having to scroll sideways" with the browsers issue? Open the browser, press menu, settings, check "Auto-fit pages". That way when you zoom in all the text remains on the screen and all you have to do is scroll up and down. I'm actually surprised that wasn't on by default cause that's one of the pros over Safari on the iPhone. Also I've been sticking with the default browser for now but I'll probably switch back to Dolphin HD. It's fast as stock android browser but has add-ons.