First Device That Is BETTER In Real World Use Than On Paper

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Two things i want to point out about this device to anyone "still on the fence" about this being the device for them....

One, playing with this phone attached to that stationary security holder thingey and holding this in your hand is Night & Day... When its on the holder and u pick it up, it just feels awkward and "too light"... Thats because with that bulky thing attached, it unevenly distributes the weight and you in NO WAY can get a feel for how great this device feels "in hand and in actual use"...The curvature of the entire base fits so comfortably, u cannot feel that when its attached to the security thingamobbey : )

Second, when i went to the Sprint Store on release date and played with it, i will admit it did NOT "wow me".... (I think that is partially due to all the great phones due to come out, and partially because i wasn't due for an upgrade, so would have to pay full $499.99 price".... But just hitting a few menus, making a trip or two to the Internet and snapping a photo in the store doesn't showcase this phone's many talents.

I was going to wait for the AT&T version "just to decide" but somewhere between deciding that then saying "what the heck, there's a 14 day return policy" i went and got the ET4G...

Yes, my 3G speeds are poor at my desk at work, and there is no 4G in my area, but outside the phone does perfectly well, and when i'm home wi-fi works great. There is something about "the smoothness of this phone" UNLIKE any phone i have ever used. The Vibrant had "some of the smoothness" but no where near as buttery as this. Every touch responds as if its an extension of my hand...lol

I mean, think about this: How many times have you played with an electronic in the store, "loved it immediately, said "ill take it!", gotten it home, and within a few days found so many quirks and things you never realized would drive u crazy, and turned around and brought it right back to the store?

Well, with the ET4G, just the opposite is true.... In real world use, it continually surprises and delights you" not "disaappoints"... (like a million other phones that come to mind (Bionic, Evo 3D, Droid X2, Thunderbolt...etc)

I wrote this post because i am loving this phone so much, and it just boggles my mind that when i saw it in the store i was like "eh...no rush." Now, you couldn't pry this thing from my hands.... And even tho the Nexus Prime seems to be an equally promising (if not better) device, but i like the Touch Whiz 4, (never did like Vanilla)... they have really stepped up their overlay, and personally i have never ever liked the styling and roundness of the Nexus.....(looks like an oversized HTC Hero to me)

I am not here to convince ANYONE that this is the phone for them, but the piece of advice i'd like to share (from one phone junkie to another) is this:

If you commit to any other phone BEFORE at least TRYING this phone out, (not reading about it, not watching a video and not playing with it for 10 min in the store) you are not making an INFORMED decision... its that simple : )

BTC

Last edited:
Reactions: Johnly

Quis89

Q&A Team
Oct 15, 2009
Visit site
What if I hold these same opinions towards my 3D? One of the phones you listed.

The gs2 is great...I got it for my girl. She loves it. She isn't a power user so all she does is web, instant message, text, email, Pandora and eRead...I guess that is quite a bit when you think about it. But she doesn't use it as heavy so the phone works great.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
You should try the Photon..It is amazing as well!! Id call it a close tie with the Photon ahead by a slight notch.

Wasnt feelin' that odd octogon stop sign shape, didnt care for motorolas overlay (even tho its better than blur), the smoothness of ET had
my lil mopho beat by a mile, screen vastly better on ET4G, but i will say sound was better on mopho, but i personally would
sacrifice audio for visual...

BTC

halmo20#AC

May 21, 2010
Visit site
Agreed. Did not liked 3d's styling and sense definitely slowed it down. Photon was awesome while it worked. Constant reboots and data droppage was just too much for me to handle even after two replacements,. Epic touch on the other hand, just worked right out of the box and hasn't looked back!
3d and photon were good phones too.. They just couldn't compare to et4g

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk

Yvette

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
yes,yes,and yes, but ... what is the point if half of the time you do not have phone or data service. might as well buy a galaxy player

popularbelief

Dec 28, 2010
Visit site
great post. i totally agree with the phone design being a bit weird at first. i go through a lot of devices and my previous was the photon so the weight and thin profile was something that took a while to get used to. the newest devices all have their ups and downs but it's hard to say the photon beats the ET4G at anything except stock music widgets :D

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
yes,yes,and yes, but ... what is the point if half of the time you do not have phone or data service. might as well buy a galaxy player

This is a good point. I would NOT have moved to sprint if data and coverage was poor around here. I had Nextel years ago and traveled. Coverage was always decent. Since I am in a Sprint area that has good 3g coverage it was a no brainer to jump. I stream hulu with sprints hotspot with ZERO blips. Good network here on the east side of the Rocky Mountains. Gets the job done just as good as Verizon (had them for 5 years.) LTE is having growing pains and I will wait until they are over.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Let it be known that I own the GS2 and while you may say the screen is better on the GS2 im going to agree but not by much.. How can you say visual is better when the GS2 screen technology factually doesnt render the color White but instead its a blueish tint..This is fact!! And please do not talk about data connection because as you search through the many forums for sprint and this phone it has MAJOR connection issues with data that causes premature battery drain. The forum for this phone had at least 10 different threads until the administrator decided that he would condense a wide spread problem with the phone into one thread.. So pahhh lease go somewhere with the data jive..Everyone knows that Motorola produces the best attenas/radios of any phone on the market and the audio and call quality is second to none!!! A colorful screen and extra speed doesn't make a phone better its all the other things that make it better. LMAO at phone fanboys and girls..I am saying this and I own the GS2..

dammitcubs

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
i agree. i was not feeling it at the store and thinking it was a bad idea. When i played with it that night and then the weekend. I was in heaven.

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site

becuzzzzzzzzzzz (and i KNOW this can definitely be filed under a "fangirl comment") the
ET4G having "slower data speeds" HALF of the time and decent speeds the other half, and then being on wifi the other HALF and then considering you are not ALWAYS using your data 100% of the time when you are using the phone, (to me) is 100% a better experience than having better than a phone with say Verizon where data speeds are ALWAYS great, BUT u have to deal with their sub par Cust Serv, their overpriced rates, & their limited selection and often over-hyped (can anyone say Tbolt?!) phones....

Again, this is just to suggest that this phone may NOT be for everyone..i get that. But UNTIL a carrier comes along that will delivers 100% in every category that offers a phone that also delivers 100%, its about deciding what you can and CAN'T live with... I was ready to switch to "more bars in more places" but for me the same question you asked prevailed..."what good is great data speeds if u have to be conservative and watch your data usage continuously?"
thats going backwards if you ask me, like in the days you had to watch your minutes all the time....

For me, data coverage on Sprint has never completely failed, (just slow at times) pricing is great, love the phone to bits, and i am just making the point that, "until this phone is taken for a true test drive" your priorities MAY change once you do, as mine did : )

BTC

Last edited:

BOSSY TEXAS CHICK

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Let it be known that I own the GS2 and while you may say the screen is better on the GS2 im going to agree but not by much.. How can you say visual is better when the GS2 screen technology factually doesnt render the color White but instead its a blueish tint..This is fact!! And please do not talk about data connection because as you search through the many forums for sprint and this phone it has MAJOR connection issues with data that causes premature battery drain. The forum for this phone had at least 10 different threads until the administrator decided that he would condense a wide spread problem with the phone into one thread.. So pahhh lease go somewhere with the data jive..Everyone knows that Motorola produces the best attenas/radios of any phone on the market and the audio and call quality is second to none!!! A colorful screen and extra speed doesn't make a phone better its all the other things that make it better. LMAO at phone fanboys and girls..I am saying this and I own the GS2..

the day that the worst thing i can say about a smartphone i own is "its whites are alittle dingy" is a great day and today is that day : )

Its not about being a fangirl (or boy) its about appreciating the technology at your fingertips and recognizing a great product when you see it. I'm not a bigger, better, faster person who will never be satisfied, i am about my device doing everything i need it to, & getting a few "oohs & ahhs"when sharing a pic or video, along the way... : )

BTC

(Sorry for clogging up 2 spots, didn't know how to multiple reply but i'll learn for future : )

mechanismclear

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
i disagree cause i have the gs2 and the photon and in my opinion the only thing the photon has over the gs2 is it charges quicker and the radio,but the gs2 also keeps a good signal, better than the evo 3d(which i returned for the photon) and as for charging quicker, the gs2 may take longer to charge,it lasts twice as long on a single charge(as we speak,gs2 13h 38m 47s_48% left with moderate and heavy use.Photon 11h 22m 16s 11% battery left) thats my experience with the two phone so that is why i disagree!

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
You may want to get your device looked at. I about crapped my pants, then I looked at my phone and realized, "ah, white is still white." Battery drain? Ya may want to exchange that. I get 11 hours on heavy use (navigation use included) that is good, and in the 100 miles I drove yesterday, I didn't loose a connection once. I am still a Motorola fan, but the Bionic disappointed me to take a good break (I may return if the radio on VZW network improves, but LTE has growing up to do, and the Bionic radio is not all that as evidenced by having zero data connection for half a day at school, no matter how many times I rebooted the phone, the radio on the SG2 doesn't do that to me, so it wins for now.)

So much for the everybody theory.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
the day that the worst thing i can say about a smartphone i own is "its whites are alittle dingy" is a great day and today is that day : )

Its not about being a fangirl (or boy) its about appreciating the technology at your fingertips and recognizing a great product when you see it. I'm not a bigger, better, faster person who will never be satisfied, i am about my device doing everything i need it to, & getting a few "oohs & ahhs"when sharing a pic or video, along the way... : )

BTC

(Sorry for clogging up 2 spots, didn't know how to multiple reply but i'll learn for future : )

This makes me laugh because I know their "Blacks are dingy." roflmao! Nothing like true contrast on the dark side.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm also an owner of both the Photon and Epic 4G Touch. In my opinion the better phone is the E4GT. Is it close, eh not really. I'll give my tale of the tape, for what its worth

E4GT - First of all, battery life. I do not understand the problems dguidry12 has. This thing sips power. I have plugged this into my charger at work on one occasion (abnormal data usage that morning), outside of that it gets me through the day with plenty of juice to play games for an hour or two when I get home. The screen is just brilliant. The colors are vivid and beautiful. The stability of Android really comes through in this device (reminds me of my Evo 4g and 150+ days without a restart). There is a certain wow factor to the thinness and lightness. I can only imagine a qHD screen on this bad boy (but as noted with the Photon app support is 100% yet, so I will wait). While I have no issues with Touch Wiz I will say I prefer the Photon where the apps were in one larger scrolling list (like music) where I could slide and go from top to bottom. The separate pages at times are a pain, but I do use folders more.

Photon - Loved the qHD screen (aside from all the apps that didn't render properly), although the Pentile effect is noticeable (some will hate it, some won't care, some won't notice). The radios are great, but I haven't experienced a measurable difference with my E4GT. This phone requires a daily reboot even after the updates and 2 hard resets (same for both phones I had). The world phone feature is great if you would use it and call quality was second to none. The battery left something to be desired, better than the Evo, but not quite what I was hoping for. Without the daily restart I sometimes needed to top off mid day just to make sure I'd get through the day. Kickstand is great, and works from all angles, however, because it was built much sturdier than the Evo i found myself using it less because it was a pain to pull out.

Overall for me it was a no brainer. I certainly don't speak for everyone as tastes are always different, but the best phone on Sprint (and possibly any carrier) at this moment is time is the Epic 4G Touch. The combination of speed, battery and screen just put this over the top. I'm sure if you use the phone for business and call quality is the most important thing, you would lean towards the Photon and I wouldn't fault that decision at all, but nothing touches this Epic phone, for now ;)

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I hear you. While the eTouch has encrypted security and exchange support and will work in India and China, it isn't a world phone, and if I had to travel I would also put world connectivity first.