Galaxy SII 4G Touch in the Sunlight

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I usually have my display brightness set to 30% indoors, and that's more than enough. But outdoors, in direct sunlight, I can't see my screen at all, even when I attempted to raise the screen brightness to 90%...it's VERY difficult to read.

Is this common for Androids...or for Samsung...or this particular phone? Never had this issue with Blackberry phones.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
LCD screens, particularly PenTile qHD LCD screens like what's been on recent Motorola releases, tend to have much better direct sunlight visibility because of the nature of the way the pixels light up. I don't think SAMOLED Plus displays are that bad in sunlight, but there are better. It's give and take like with all screen technologies.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
LCD screens, particularly PenTile qHD LCD screens like what's been on recent Motorola releases, tend to have much better direct sunlight visibility because of the nature of the way the pixels light up. I don't think SAMOLED Plus displays are that bad in sunlight, but there are better. It's give and take like with all screen technologies.
I see you have the same phone. Do you change any of the display settings in direct sunlight? For instance, I like to take my phone to the nearby park and sit and stream a movie (the weather is great here right now), but I can't...because I can barely see what's on the screen.

Any suggestions?

I was considering the Motorola Photon because of the issues I have with my SG2 (reception, connectivity, dropped calls, screen in the sunlight), but not sure about it. Saw the Photon in a Sprint store and though it's nice, it's definitely not as luxe looking as the SG2.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I'll admit I haven't used my phone in direct sunlight for more than checking email and making texts and calls. When I have, I did tend to turn the brightness up, which helped. The Photon will certainly give you a better experience in direct sunlight if that's important to you, but you may miss the colors and contrast ratio of this phone's SAMOLED Plus display while indoors. Also, make sure the PenTile matrix on the Photon's screen doesn't bother you. Many don't notice it, but if you eventually do, it can be a big distraction. I don't mind it so much, but some absolutely hate it.

Good luck!

Reactions: HollyDolly

Robcy

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
I noticed it's not so much the brightness of the display but the reflection of everything on the glass. I live in Florida (read: sunny). The solution for me was a matte screen cover. Maybe not everyones cup of tea, but it works for me.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Code:
I noticed it's not so much the brightness of the display but the reflection of everything on the glass. I live in Florida (read: sunny). The solution for me was a matte screen cover. Maybe not everyones cup of tea, but it works for me.
Thanks!

NxTech3

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
i have my screen set to 75 -80% brightness, and have had the same luck seeing in the sunlight as my other devices, I can play Life Is Crime outdoors though, so im all set lol

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if you were in the browser or not but don't forget the browser has it's own brightness setting.
No, not in browser particularly. On any screen...whether it's the dialer screen, Netflix, or whatever. All very difficult to see in the sunlight unless I shade the phone with my hand (which is no way to stream a movie!)

sportsplayer5959

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I set my brightness to automatic and i have no problem reading and sending texts in direct sunlight. I live in florida as well. If you truly are having that much of a problem... I suggest you purchase an anti-glare screen protector. That will help but i dont like anti glares because they make the screen look a lot less vibrant

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I set my brightness to automatic and i have no problem reading and sending texts in direct sunlight. I live in florida as well. If you truly are having that much of a problem... I suggest you purchase an anti-glare screen protector. That will help but i dont like anti glares because they make the screen look a lot less vibrant
Hmm, I will try the automatic setting...hopefully that will help. Will test it out and report back.

Thanks. :)

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I set the brightness to automatic...it isn't the best, but it's better than it was before...so thanks!

youngjediboy

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
every phone or tablet screen is hard to read outside in bright sunlight......regardless of brand or model....

Agree!
It'll be an actual revolution if/when we get screens that we can actually see in daylight. So far the only recent pieces of tech I've seen that's clear to see in the sun is the Kindle or other E-ink displays. Of course, the problem with those are they don't refresh fast enough to do things like video. If they can do E-ink with full color with good brightness, saturation, smooth framerates and high resolution, THAT would be the perfect screen to view in the sun!

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jm_rookie2