Best Launcher

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Ok I'm ready to really customize, i've never really gotten creative before so i'm new to it but don't know which launcher is better in terms of looks/themes and difficulty of use. So far I keep hearing about Launcherpro and ADWLauncher so which one is better in ya'lls opinion? and when it comes to widgets i keep hearing about Beautiful widgets and fancy widgets. Any suggestions on both?

adammcgovern

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Take a look at go launcher ex. I love how u can rotate the bottom dock options for quick app access

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Demosthenes9

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
GCMS, short answer is that there is no "best" launcher or widget because various people like different things and no single launcher out there has every possible combination for how things are done.

hell, this is just talking about the actual launchers themselves and not even getting into skins/themes/widgets customized for certain launchers.

Personally, I use Launcher Pro and am quite happy with it.

BTW< launchers are easy to install, easy to remove, and it's really easy to change the default from one launcher to the next (I use Homeblaster to do so).

What this means is that you can download one launcher then tweak the heck out of and try all the settings combinations imaginable, then, dl another launcher and do the same, then dl yet a third launcher, rinse, repeat, yada, yada, yada.

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
I used to dabble in launcher replacements on my OG Droid. The windows phone 7 one was fun every once in a while but my go to was launcher pro. Just had a good smooth feel to it. I had tried others and they were more customizable but they didn't float my boat. However with my E4GT I am really enjoying the Touch Wiz more than I thought I would so I think I'll be keeping it. As for beautiful widgets and fancy widgets I have used both of them as well. BW is one of the few apps I have ever paid for and I definitely got my moneys worth. Fancy widgets is nice but always became a battery sucker for me. BW on the other hand didn't and there is a litany of customizable skins and options.

wase4711

May 1, 2010
Visit site
I used to prefer ADW, but now use Launcher Pro only..
as others said, you need to try them out and see which one you like the best.

I wanted to like Touch Wiz, but I just haven't been able to get used to it; probably from having htc phones the last few years..

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks guys for your input, advice and suggestions! I really appreciate it. I think i'm going to go with Go Launcher EX because it's free lol :) i'll givet that a whirl!

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
Thanks guys for your input, advice and suggestions! I really appreciate it. I think i'm going to go with Go Launcher EX because it's free lol :) i'll givet that a whirl!

There is a free version of launcher pro too. Just FYI. I think the pay version only adds widgets and widget scrolling.

mrcminnesota

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the stock launchers to not "hold" default when chosen (ie I chose TW but it doesn't stay as default)? And is there somewhere in the settings/menu to check as well? I really don't mind the stock launchers, just wish it would keep the default chosen. I have already replaced this phone once (for other reasons) and it occurs on this phone as well.

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I always used LP but know what?

I haven't found even the slightest little thing (other than no landscape mode but who cares) that bugs me about TW...nothing...nada.

pb_2000

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Until I find out which one, I have at this moment 5 launchers installed.
TW4, ADW Launcher EX, Go Launcher Ex, Launcher Pro, Open Home 6.

At this moment ADW has my preference,
I can configure more and I can set the "delay in page transitions" almost to zero. It really flies.
The app drawer can have multiple "catalogs",
I have hidden (!) dockbar(s), transparant icons.

jacief

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I've been trying out Go Launcher EX. I've only noticed one slight disadvantage of this under Touchwiz, namely that it's slightly harder to move icons/widgets from screen to screen as you can't do TouchWiz's fancy tilt-the-phone-to-switch-pages trick.

There are several advantages that make me really prefer Go Launcher:

(1) You can resize *any* widget - most useful for scaling down needlessly big widgets.
(2) You can adjust the number of icons/page. Adding an extra row works nicely for me -- the extra space is handy, and it's not too crowded on the E4GT's huge display.
(3) You can adjust the transitions as you flip from screen to screen. A lot of the options are too frenetic for me, but a few, like the ones that make it seem like you're spinning a cube or a windmill, are pretty cool.
(4) You can rename all your icons and/or associate new images with them. There are a lot of custom themes available for free or cheap that can give you a lot of thematically similar icons. (That's actually not attractive to me, as I like my icons to look way different so it's easy to find the one I want, but I'm sure other people will rank aesthetics over functionality, and this gives you a lot of aesthetic options.)
(5) Your dock (the fixed bottom row of icons) gets up to 5 icons, plus you can swipe it left or right to get up to 10 extra dock icons if you want.
(6) The dock and app drawer can get their own backgrounds (also available in themes).

It may be that you can do some of this on TouchWiz too, and I just didn't notice how. As for other popular launchers, I think they can do a lot of this stuff as well, so I'm not sure how many of these advantages recommend Go in particular.

The main feature I currently wish Go had is the ability to overlap icons/widgets, so I could, for example float a clock over top of a map showing which parts of the world are in daylight. Oh, and I'd love to be able to get rid of the dumb home button out of the app drawer, as my phone already has a home button that I'm well-trained at using -- duh! But these are pretty minor wishes, and TouchWiz wasn't any better.

jrb7561

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'll tell you this. I own the paid version of both Launcher Pro and ADW and though both are great for their own reasons, right now I'm using Go Launcher Ex and I'm perfectly happy with it.

lemieuxfan67

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced the stock launchers to not "hold" default when chosen (ie I chose TW but it doesn't stay as default)? And is there somewhere in the settings/menu to check as well? I really don't mind the stock launchers, just wish it would keep the default chosen. I have already replaced this phone once (for other reasons) and it occurs on this phone as well.

I'm having the same problem with go launcher ex. Even when I choose that as my default (and check the box to remember it) I will still get the pop-up to choose sense or go launcher everytime

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance