how to get great battery life?

m.vasquez009

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
how arre you guys getting such great battery life i have my bluetooth off auto syncs off brightness turned down gps isnt on but im getting about 9 hours battery life and all these posts im reading have people saying they are getting like 15 hours battery life...any suggestions people?!?!?!

atl10pnr

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
A lot of it boils down to how you are using your phone and signal strength. I get great battery life when just checking email,browsing the web and texting . When at work where I get a terrible signal my battery life really takes a big hit. Also when playing games battery life takes a big hit. At home went to connecting to my wifi network and battery life also got much better. As have a terrible 4G signal in the house good 3G but wifi is better at home. With all we do with these phones even 9 hour battery life is still not bad. Only have 2 things that auto sync. One does it was every 12 hours the other once an hour.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
How is your signal strength? I really think that people who are having battery problems are having a hard time locking on to a signal in their area. On minimal use today, I've only gone through 12% of my battery in 6 1/2 hours. This includes streaming audio over bluetooth during my 40 minute drive to work, a 5 minute video chat over GTalk, 15 minutes of web browsing and the occasional screen on to check texts and email.

Again, the above is minimal use for me though, as I've barely had the screen on. FYI my "Phone signal" bar on the battery meter has been solid green for about the past 4 hours. I get great signal strength here in my office. It's locked in with a kung fu grip. Attached are shots of my use and remaining % today, based on the minimal usage I described above. But really, I'm not doing anything special.

On a normal day with my normal screen on time I get about 16 hours out of my battery. I wish I could help you guys but it's hard to tell what the difference is.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
How is your signal strength? I really think that people who are having battery problems are having a hard time locking on to a signal in their area.
Very true, this. I've experienced it myself. I get horrible reception indoors and my battery takes a big hit as a result. When I'm outdoors and have 3G only turned on and am browsing, tweeting, marketplace browsing, my battery is minimally affected (about 7-8% in 30 minutes of constant use). When I turn 4G on (and it actually connects), the battery life drains a bit faster but not by much, when the signal is good.

Indoors - with poor signal - I literally can watch my battery go down about 10-15% in 35 minutes of minimal use. When I'm on my home network alone (turning off 3G/4G), and using some serious data, the battery can last quite a few hours. I haven't run it down to almost 0% yet, but after about 5 hours of heavy phone use with Wifi, it did get down to about 10%.

Decreasing screen brightness also helps with the battery, as is turning off 4G when it's not connecting, and making sure to kill unnecessary background apps (to do this: On the Home page, click and hold the Home key and a Task Manager box will pop up. Click the Task Manager button and it'll take you to the Active Apps list, where you'll see apps running in the background). I use the Task Manager often, and will do an "Exit All" in the Active Application page, then go two tabs over (RAM) on the same page and hit Clear Memory. This will briefly turn your 3G/4G off, but will reconnect again, yet clear other memory-eating/battery draining apps that you're not using in the present.

Making phone calls also seems to drain the battery a lot faster, esp if signal is poor..which in my case, it is.

error4o4

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Something else if you can do for us:

After a full days (or however long) battery use, take a photo of the battery stats.

Settings, About Phone, Battery Usage

Press Home key then power button

It'll take a photo of that screen , attach that photo to this thread.

It will give a great idea as to what is using your battery.

Also then touch the graph its self, this will show another detailed photo of what is using battery. Screen shot that and add that too to the thread.

We can go from there.

Thanks.

gadgetluva

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't have bad battery life, but it's not great. 4G was on from about 8am to 5:30pm (bad 3G coverage at my office, it actually drains my battery faster if I don't switch on 4G). I have about 3% battery life left at the time of this screenshot, and I've had the display on for a total of 2 hours at around 15% brightness. Not shabby. Battery life is the best of any Android I've used so far.

SC20110929181715.png
SC20110929181719.png

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Let's see. I leave Bluetooth on all day....its connected about 2.5 hours a day. I have 3 GMail accounts that push email to my phone and sync up whenever. Background data is on, GPS in on (but not active) all day, No 4G since my coverage isnt great. Plume (twitter), Pocket Casts check out every 1-3 hours. About 20-40 minutes of games/browser while on the crapper at work. A handful of texts, emails and checking the phone during the day. The phone was taken off the charger at 5:40 AM...it is now 7:40 PM and I have 40% battery life. my cell standby says the time on is 13h 59m and time without a signal is 3%.

I dont know what I'm doing right, but this phone is incredible.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
10 hours and 26 minutes. 59% left. On wifi for 3 hours. Droid X would need plugging in about Now. Love the painless use of this super phone.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I don't have bad battery life, but it's not great. 4G was on from about 8am to 5:30pm (bad 3G coverage at my office, it actually drains my battery faster if I don't switch on 4G). I have about 3% battery life left at the time of this screenshot, and I've had the display on for a total of 2 hours at around 15% brightness. Not shabby. Battery life is the best of any Android I've used so far.

See there's that huge AOS % again. I'm just not understanding that with your 2 hours of screen on time. As you can see from the attached screenshots, I have 51 minutes of screen on time today at 75% brightness, and it's half of my battery usage, as it usually is for me. Could your low display % be because of your 30% brightness setting? AOS on the other hand is at 14% for me. As of writing this I have 8 1/2 hours into this battery and I have 76% left.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
This has been mentioned here and there, but keeping Touchwiz definitely seems like another thing that will help. As much as I love golauncher it was definitely sucking some life out of my battery.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Yea I would certainly avoid apps that run constantly. I think the battery management system keeps shutting them down and they restart over and over again. I'm no software engineer but its just a hunch. I don't mind Touchwiz, i have a few things that update every so often, but nothing that is always running that might get in the way.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
This has been mentioned here and there, but keeping Touchwiz definitely seems like another thing that will help. As much as I love golauncher it was definitely sucking some life out of my battery.

I don't know. I'm running Go Launcher right now and even though my screenshots above were on a day of light use, I don't find it to be eating any more battery than stock TouchWiz did.

Rockser2g#AC

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I switched roaming to Sprint only this morning and I saw a huge difference. My battery life was amazing when I got the phone, then all of a sudden it dropped to crap. The roaming is the only real difference between these shots.
I got the order wrong but you get the idea...

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I don't know. I'm running Go Launcher right now and even though my screenshots above were on a day of light use, I don't find it to be eating any more battery than stock TouchWiz did.

Yeah it wasn't huge but after trying some things I definitely gain some run time without it. That being said I'm only anal because I keep reading these threads lol. Sometimes ignorance is bliss... I should just be happy because this baby kills my old epic when it comes to battery life!

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Quick question: For those who are getting really good battery life (and those who aren't too), how much battery % do you lose in 20 minutes with the display off? It seems like any more than 1% loss means there's a problem, does that seem accurate?

gadgetluva

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
See there's that huge AOS % again. I'm just not understanding that with your 2 hours of screen on time. As you can see from the attached screenshots, I have 51 minutes of screen on time today at 75% brightness, and it's half of my battery usage, as it usually is for me. Could your low display % be because of your 30% brightness setting? AOS on the other hand is at 14% for me. As of writing this I have 8 1/2 hours into this battery and I have 76% left.
If you notice, I'm barely on wifi, my signal isn't green all the time, and 4g was turned on too. Also, it depends on what Apps you have installed and I leave gtalk on all the time and everything is always syncing.

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Yep that's actually what I'm referring to. I've explored the issue further and the problem that I'm personally having is clearly related to wifi. When I'm connected to my home network as I am now I'm losing 1% battery about 5-6 minutes, but when wifi is off it's about every 20-25 minutes. 5-6 minutes seems like way too much, so I guess I'm wondering if this is normal or if that points to an issue with my wifi network or my phone's wifi card.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante