screen turned yellow!

pedrlaw

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I was using my phone, and the screen turned a yellow tint for about one minute. Then it restored itself. I've read about yellow tint issue on lower left side of screen, but this was scary.

If it turned yellow permanently, would Sprint replace this phone after 14 days?

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I had this happen to me very quickly. Not a minute, but it was the entire screen. I locked the phone and unlocked and it was fine. Very odd problem. My guess is it had something to do with the lighting level and the auto brightness. Do you have auto brightness turned on? That is my guess anyway. Cause I do and it makes sense if i think about it enough :)

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
As a second piece of your question. That would be covered under the manufacturers warranty (i believe one year). Samsung would take care of that for you. if you have the TEP (Total Equipment Protection), that would be covered in the service side of that as well.

pedrlaw

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I had this happen to me very quickly. Not a minute, but it was the entire screen. I locked the phone and unlocked and it was fine. Very odd problem. My guess is it had something to do with the lighting level and the auto brightness. Do you have auto brightness turned on? That is my guess anyway. Cause I do and it makes sense if i think about it enough :)

Yes, I have auto brightness enabled. I hope it was just that, and not a hardware issue.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to guess it has something to do with that. I'm actually more relieved to know there is someone else who experienced it. I will certainly be keeping my eyes peeled on this to see if it develops to more of an issue. I think it comes down to the way Super AMOLED+ lights the screen and just picks up a really really dark hue. Its pretty well known there are some kinks in the auto brightness and this momentary darkness might be.

johnyguy

Banned
Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
I was using my phone, and the screen turned a yellow tint for about one minute. Then it restored itself. I've read about yellow tint issue on lower left side of screen, but this was scary.

If it turned yellow permanently, would Sprint replace this phone after 14 days?

Maybe it got jelouse seeing the new HTC Amaze comeing out soon! kick asss LOL:p

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
I think it's auto brightness, there's also toggle under Settings>Display called "Adjust Screen Power" which adjusts screen brightness based on the image being displayed, so that could be it too.

jacief

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I had the same experience, except my screen turned magenta, or more specifically, it lost all green, so everything was red, blue, black, or something in between -- hence mostly some flavor of magenta. For those of you who were getting "yellow" screens, were these actually no-blue screens, with everything being red/orange/yellow/green/black? I wonder if anyone's experienced a no-red screen, with everything being blue/cyan/green/black?

Out of curiousity, are any of you who are experiencing this using Go Launcher EX? I installed it not too long before the color glitch.

Also, if this happens to anybody again, it might be a good idea to grab a screen-capture (by holding Home and quickly hitting the Power button). Twould be interesting to see whether the captured image is full color (indicating that the problem is fairly late in the process, perhaps even in the display hardware) or whether captured image is distorted too (indicating that the problem is relatively early in the processing, most likely in software).

Anyway, tis a weird bug, but I was very relieved when it righted itself after about a minute.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
jacief, if i see it pop up again I will certainly screen cap it. As someone mentioned, I think it has to do with the "Adjust Screen Power" setting. That means there are two different pieces of software adjusting brightness and power. One (or both) of those wonked out causing irregular screen activity.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
jacief, if i see it pop up again I will certainly screen cap it. As someone mentioned, I think it has to do with the "Adjust Screen Power" setting. That means there are two different pieces of software adjusting brightness and power. One (or both) of those wonked out causing irregular screen activity.

I think it's one of those settings unless it's really drastic and lasts for a while.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

overcomer8

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I have a Galaxy Nexus I was told by several sorces the yellow screens I and my husband have experienced with 2 of my phones and 2 of his is from going from a cold environment to a warm and a warm to a cold the moisture is what makes the screens yellow there is no water resistance...it is impossible not to do this what have 4 seasons in NY ...bad designing in Samsung's part very disappointed...

Prt_Scr

Feb 7, 2015
Visit site
Also, if this happens to anybody again, it might be a good idea to grab a screen-capture (by holding Home and quickly hitting the Power button). Twould be interesting to see whether the captured image is full color (indicating that the problem is fairly late in the process, perhaps even in the display hardware) or whether captured image is distorted too (indicating that the problem is relatively early in the processing, most likely in software)...

I've got similar yellow screen problem, but mine only appears when playing this game. It has started since last year and has not come back until now.

I can't guess any possibilities regarding this error, but according to my screenshots, I suppose it is software problem.

Here are the screenshots (please remove "*" to open links)...
htt*ps://a*pp.*bo*x.*com*/s/z2bb3d250iaoru9pkk1za9694hdlj1wc
htt*ps://a*pp.*bo*x.*com*/s/nd02qyndk75swhjk9em039afircs08o7
htt*ps://a*pp.*bo*x.*com*/s/2j6bnyezgb48wwt7yw9r036xlji74xhc

Verenisse123

Jul 31, 2016
Visit site
I have a Samsung S5, after having my phone for over a year, last wednesday. My phones color screen was normal. No colors, nothing. Then that same day later at night I was on my phone and it just turned yellow. I thought I may have pressed a button on my setting but I went on the app history and I never went on settings. So I went on my setting to see if I can change back the color on accessories and I couldnt. On Thursday I was curious if I push some buttons it will go back to normal and it did. I pressed the turn off button with the home screen button at the same time and it's been working and it went back to normal but once I turn my screen off for a while and I turn it back on its yellow again. And now that I want to change it back I can't anymore. I try and try but it wont. It looks like my phone will be permanently yellow intill I get a new phone. Its frustrating because if I'm outside when it's so sunny and I turn the brightness up I can't see it it turns to a every white color or if I want to put the brightness down its to dark it will turn to a brown color or purple color.

martidp

Aug 18, 2016
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. But I think it's a result from me dropping it 10 minutes ago. Where you able to fix it?

I have a Samsung S5, after having my phone for over a year, last wednesday. My phones color screen was normal. No colors, nothing. Then that same day later at night I was on my phone and it just turned yellow. I thought I may have pressed a button on my setting but I went on the app history and I never went on settings. So I went on my setting to see if I can change back the color on accessories and I couldnt. On Thursday I was curious if I push some buttons it will go back to normal and it did. I pressed the turn off button with the home screen button at the same time and it's been working and it went back to normal but once I turn my screen off for a while and I turn it back on its yellow again. And now that I want to change it back I can't anymore. I try and try but it wont. It looks like my phone will be permanently yellow intill I get a new phone. Its frustrating because if I'm outside when it's so sunny and I turn the brightness up I can't see it it turns to a every white color or if I want to put the brightness down its to dark it will turn to a brown color or purple color.

Last edited by a moderator:

janacarter98

Oct 17, 2016
Visit site
The same thing just happened to my IPad, so that's how I ended up on this website. Then I realised that my night shift button was on, which made the screen a bit yellow. As soon as I switched it off, my screen was okay.
Not sure if Samsung has that button, but on Apple devices it's at the drop down menu.

Thatluckyhoe

Jun 10, 2017
Visit site
Same over here,was using social media and accidentally pressed something,screen turned yellow,i actually freaked out and thought it was permanent,then i remembered that i swiped something which activated the yellowish hue,found out when u swipe up from the homebutton area on the bottom,you can choose to on the "night shift" thingy or you can disable it,which will restore ur original homescreen color.

Last edited: