10-01-2011 09:08 AM
38 12
tools
    I'm loving my Epic 4G Touch, but Sprint's "4G" WiMAX network is a joke. It doesn't work well indoors, has spotty coverage, and doesn't transition well between 3G and 4G. When using Napster during my commute, I have to turn 4G off because leaving it on will often cause interruptions in the music. On top of that, we're forced to pay $10 extra for this crappy network, which I just leave off these days. It is more trouble than it is worth. Sprint better hurry with their LTE rollout, or they will be left behind other carrier's 4G networks.
    cgardnervt likes this.
    09-29-2011 10:35 PM
    In general, I agree with you. Personally, however, I get 10mbps down at work and about 4mbps at home and I use it on commutes streaming and typically don't have issues.
    All that being said, Wimax needs to go.
    09-29-2011 10:39 PM
    Um, anyone with a smartphone has to pay for that $10 fee
    sndplace likes this.
    09-29-2011 11:51 PM
    I'm loving my Epic 4G Touch, but Sprint's "4G" WiMAX network is a joke. It doesn't work well indoors, has spotty coverage, and doesn't transition well between 3G and 4G. When using Napster during my commute, I have to turn 4G off because leaving it on will often cause interruptions in the music. On top of that, we're forced to pay $10 extra for this crappy network, which I just leave off these days. It is more trouble than it is worth. Sprint better hurry with their LTE rollout, or they will be left behind other carrier's 4G networks.
    Do you really think LTE at 2.5 GHz will act any differently than WiMax at the same frequency?
    09-29-2011 11:53 PM
    LTE is the better technology but like valeuche said LTE at 2.5 GHz isn't going to really help. The problem is that the frequency is to high to penetrate buildings very well.
    09-30-2011 12:28 AM
    I returned my beloved E4GT today because of Sprint's inconstantly slow 4G and 3G data speed. I get a lot of email with file attached, and it takes way too long for those emails to load. I never had to wait for emails to load when I was on VZW network.
    09-30-2011 12:29 AM
    Um, anyone with a smartphone has to pay for that $10 fee
    Pretty much most of Sprints smartphones are 4g now. But he's right though. Coverage for 4G is absolutely horrible imo.
    09-30-2011 03:42 AM
    Do you really think LTE at 2.5 GHz will act any differently than WiMax at the same frequency?
    Same question I wanted to ask. If Sprint plans to launch lte at 2.5ghz you're going to have the same coverage problems. Only thing that would change is that when you are connected you will get faster speeds that's it.
    09-30-2011 05:23 AM
    4g coverage is good here. I guess it depends on where you are.
    09-30-2011 07:39 AM
    Its a Known fact Sprints network has a weak building penetration due to the high frequencies. But my question to you all that are getting weak/poor speeds and returned your phone for this, did you check your area to make sure you had coverage? have you had Sprint before ? I'm sorry that your experience with the phone and service was not worth it for you to stay but if you didn't look into how there coverage and speeds are where you live then you really can't be mad and say they have crappy 4G.

These are all known facts about there Wimax speeds and coverage. Any Google or AC search will tell you that. 2.5 ghz is a high frequency for any service to work on nut that's the cards Sprint has been/choose to play with. NO ONE PAYS FOR 4G. It's a data charge for all smart phones and it's still a better deal then any other carrier. What is important is coverage. If you are in a area where a sertain carrier has the best coverage for you then that's who you should be with. This way you can really enjoy your phone and do with it what you wanted it for.
    I do not work for Sprint , I just don't like it when they get bashed when the consumer it to blame for not researching and making sure that Sprint is the best choice for them.
    If were already on Sprint and the Phone is not performing the way it should , Take it back . matbe its the software or hardware in that particular phone and not the service it self...
    09-30-2011 07:52 AM
    i see an airave 3 that supports 4G in the future....
    09-30-2011 08:03 AM
    Serious? You are going to go past your 14 days and lock in a contract? Are you JOKEing? I continue to evaluate Verizon and Sprint side by side. No way would I sign a contract with coverage being a Joke. So far Sprints network here has even outshined Verizon's In places concerning speed. Have you ever heard of people saying, I use AT&T because I don't have coverage with Verizon? it is true. You need to assess coverage and if it don't work, try a different carrier. Phone first, gotta make a call. Frequency and technology are pointless if the coverage isn't there. I need a break from vzw, to many crappy phones for to many years.
    09-30-2011 08:13 AM
    Any new network is a "joke" when it launches. 3G was a joke in the beginning too.

The real joke is that they quit building Wimax not loo long after launching it. They stopped 1/4 mile from my house.
    09-30-2011 08:14 AM
    I must be a phone *****, because I am keeping two lines of service. one with Sprint and one with Verizon (off contract.) I will terminate one after this year.
    Today, Sprint uses separate equipment to deploy services on 800 MHz spectrum, 1.9 GHz spectrum and, through its relationship with Clearwire, 2.5 GHz spectrum. Under the terms of the new contracts, Alcatel-Lucent, Ericsson and Samsung will install new network equipment and software that brings together multiple spectrum bands, or airwaves, on a single, multi-mode base station.
    http://newsroom.sprint.com/press_kit...presskit_id=19
    09-30-2011 08:25 AM
    Wimax is only good if you are standing in the middle of the street and not moving...other than that it sucks. What good is it if you can't use it indoors.
    HollyDolly likes this.
    09-30-2011 08:45 AM
    Wimax is only good if you are standing in the middle of the street and not moving...other than that it sucks. What good is it if you can't use it indoors.
    Glad I don't have your network problems
    Through spectrum efficiencies associated with Network Vision, Sprint intends to repurpose some of its 800MHz spectrum for CDMA service, thereby enhancing coverage, particularly the in-building experience for customers. Augmenting its 1.9GHz footprint with 800MHz, Sprint expects its CDMA coverage density will increase throughout the country. More density generally equates to fewer dropped calls and a more seamless network experience for customers. According to a 2010 PCWorld 13-city, 3G drive test, Sprint had the most reliable network. The Network Vision plan expects to enhance that competitive position.
    09-30-2011 09:35 AM
    WiMax speeds are BAD! I hate them. Plus I use my phone's data when I am in a commute. Such as the Boston T, Inside a building that I work such as my office, or hell even just the mall. So it does not work most of the time on the go. So I just leave it turned off...I am thinking of moving to Verizon soon again anyways. Way better 3G speeds and I am ONLY GUESSING better 4G speeds too...However I like my Evo 3D A LOT. So I may wait until Verizon has a new HTC phone. I am hearing soon! That may be my turning point.
    09-30-2011 09:51 AM
    We have been seeing a lot of these threads. It all depends on where you are at. Where I live we don't have Verizon LTE so I can't comment, but everyone of my Sprint 4G phones blow away T-Mobiles and ATT "4G" speeds. I pull upwards of 15 down on 4G and 1.5 to 2 on 3G. That's all from the inside of my office without a window in site and driving home. The T-Mobile phones that my co-workers here have are pushing 4 down on HSPA+.

That said IMO if you think Sprint's network sucks then take it back and get one that works for you. I for one enjoy Sprint's network speed and more importantly the price.
    09-30-2011 10:17 AM
    3g is bad but I get good 4g in chicago. I would hate to have to return this phone...bummer.
    09-30-2011 10:18 AM
    I pull upwards of 15 down on 4G and 1.5 to 2 on 3G. That's all from the inside of my office without a window in site and driving home. The T-Mobile phones that my co-workers here have are pushing 4 down on HSPA+.
    Where do you live?

This is the highest Wimax 4G download speed claim I have heard, and indoors at that with no window. I find it EXTREMELY hard to believe.
    I get about 10 down in my office but I have a huge window right beside my desk. I'd like to see that screenshot of higher than 15mbps.
    09-30-2011 12:03 PM
    WiMax speeds are BAD! I hate them. Plus I use my phone's data when I am in a commute. Such as the Boston T, Inside a building that I work such as my office, or hell even just the mall. So it does not work most of the time on the go. So I just leave it turned off...I am thinking of moving to Verizon soon again anyways. Way better 3G speeds and I am ONLY GUESSING better 4G speeds too...However I like my Evo 3D A LOT. So I may wait until Verizon has a new HTC phone. I am hearing soon! That may be my turning point.
    The Vigor (Incredible HD) is looking pretty nice. But, capped data? Ugh, no thanks. I'm not even a huge cellular data user and I cringe at caps. I keep coming back around to "what good are faster speeds if you're limited on how much you can consume with it?". It's a different story for people grandfathered into an unlimited plan though.

Sorry but these data caps really get under my skin.
    09-30-2011 12:21 PM
    I heard sprint if/when they launch their LTE network will be operating on their iDen network they acquired from the nextel purchase. If thats the case, the frequency on that is much lower which would in turn get very good building penetration. Love me some good penetration.
    Samsmalls likes this.
    09-30-2011 03:40 PM
    4g coverage is good here. I guess it depends on where you are.
    That's pretty much the one thing you must look for in a carrier if you want to switch: check your area for good coverage that you desire before you make the choice. I don't care if you ask your friends, family, or the forums, just research before you buy. Sorry for the rant and I understand that some of you have to come up with a decision quickly or can't control it (parents?) but for people in general, please don't complain if your coverage is crappy. Now, if your phone has significantly worse signal/coverage than another phone on the same carrier, then that's something you should be worried about.
    Edit: that and the price! Almost forgot that!
    09-30-2011 06:05 PM
    That's pretty much the one thing you must look for in a carrier if you want to switch: check your area for good coverage that you desire before you make the choice. I don't care if you ask your friends, family, or the forums, just research before you buy.
    My area is supposed to have excellent 4G coverage...and it does, on rooftops. But on ground level or anywhere indoors, NADA. Research doesn't always help...you have to try out the phone to see if it works. I still think the SG2 has radio issues, or else why would it have indoor reception issues for so many people...when other phones don't have the same problem on the same network? Ya know?
    Now, if your phone has significantly worse signal/coverage than another phone on the same carrier, then that's something you should be worried about.
    So that means, what....return the phone if that's the case? Exchange the phone? Or maybe...relocate based on signal reception...?
    09-30-2011 06:51 PM
    Today VZW spanked Sprint so bad I wanted to trade my sgsII back....then I was like for what? Verizons phones suck so hard, everything sucks.
    09-30-2011 07:02 PM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD