Renaming Apps?

jaguax

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Is there any way to rename apps? Something like "Dolphin Browser HD" gets cut off when you put it on the home screen, and it looks especially ugly when you put it on the main launcher bar.

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Not that I know of. But what I really want is just an icon, no text. That would be nice and clean

Sent from a pocket-sized computer that also makes calls

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Ever try Adw launcher, it shows you to remove app icon names so you'll have extremely clean flow of things...

blitz118

Apr 22, 2010
Visit site
So there are no apps that will let you remove the names from the icons without switching to another launcher? I would like to remove the names from the icons on the dock.

scoob

Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
So there are no apps that will let you remove the names from the icons without switching to another launcher? I would like to remove the names from the icons on the dock.

Yep, you'll have to switch launchers but some of the other launchers are much better IMHO- I currently use Go Launcher and it's great.

zdzdz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
After a lot of trying I found a way to change the name of already installed applications on android OS. Tested on Galaxy S2 with Gingerbread 2.3.4

1. The most important thing is that your phone is rooted. You'll need to access your system files.

2. You'll need an app called SU File Manager & Terminal (Downlod here). Install. It will ask for super user rights. Allow.

3. Open app and go to folder: data/app/

4. There search for the apk of the application which name you want to change.

5. Click on it and hold until menu pops up. Choose Copy.

6. Now go to folder: mnt/sdcard/ (This folder is My files folder, visible when connected to PC). When you go to this folder press options key on the phone and choose Paste.

Now you have the .apk file that is needed to be chanaged. Tranasfer it to PC.

7. To edit this file you'll need Apk Manager (Download here) After extracting the downloaded archive to any folder, you'll have six new folders there. Put your apk file in "place-apk-here-for-modding" folder.

8. Run Script.bat

You'll see at the bottom message: 'Please make your decision:"
- first choose 22 to select project. Then 1 to choose project
- type 9 to decompile the apk
- once the apk is decompiled you'll find the extracted files in the projects folder. Go there. You need to change AndroidManifest.xml.
- Open it with notepad.
- You need to change the value of "android:label" string to the desired name.
-Save.
- Go back to Script.bat and select 11 to compile
- When it asks answer y for system apk and copying additional files. Follow instructions.
- You'll have new file in "place-apk-here-for-modding" and it will be unsigned.
- To sign choose 12 in script.bat

That's it you have new signed file. Rename to match the original apk. After that just replace it in data/app/ with SU File Manager & Terminal.

Reboot phone.

Mikey47

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
After a lot of trying I found a way to change the name of already installed applications on Android OS. Tested on Galaxy S2 with Gingerbread 2.3.4

1. The most important thing is that your phone is rooted. You'll need to access your system files.

2. You'll need an app called SU File Manager & Terminal (Downlod here). Install. It will ask for super user rights. Allow.

6. Now go to folder: mnt/sdcard/ (This folder is My files folder, visible when connected to PC). When you go to this folder press options key on the phone and choose Paste.

7. To edit this file you'll need Apk Manager (Download here) After extracting the downloaded archive to any folder, you'll have six new folders there. Put your apk file in "place-apk-here-for-modding" folder.

8. Run Script.bat

- once the apk is decompiled you'll find the extracted files in the projects folder. Go there. You need to change AndroidManifest.xml.
- Open it with notepad.
-Save.
- When it asks answer y for system apk and copying additional files. Follow instructions.

That's it you have new signed file. Rename to match the original apk. After that just replace it in data/app/ with SU File Manager & Terminal.

Reboot phone.

Hmm, me thinks installing a third party launcher is a lot easier.

rricoandriod

Jun 9, 2012
Visit site
- Open it with notepad.
-Save.

I'm getting an error when trying to rename the apk called "apphider." There are 3 instances of "android:label" in this notepad/xml file, though the word "hider" only appears 2 times. When i change the 1st instance only and compile, i get the error :(

I would attach the file, but it's giving me an "invalid file" error... Anyway, Thanks ahead of time, i'm sooo close :D

Last edited:

engima

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes ... you can leave it blank with no name or rename the app to whatever name you want via "desktop visualizer" from the play store. Very simple - you select the app you want ("select icon") then you select the icon and name ("select action"). If you want it blank ... just clear the name put a space and it will come up. Deleting the name completely without the space won't work - delete then blank space.

trappem

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
"Go launcher ex as well. You can have it to just display the icon."

Can you repeat that in English? That way the info will be useful to those that don't already know the answer.

trappem

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yes ... you can leave it blank with no name or rename the app to whatever name you want via "desktop visualizer" from the play store. Very simple - you select the app you want ("select icon") then you select the icon and name ("select action"). If you want it blank ... just clear the name put a space and it will come up. Deleting the name completely without the space won't work - delete then blank space.

Under "select action" there is no option for "icon and name". It's not simple, other than that it simply doesn't work as described.

Last edited:

mylnym

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
After a lot of trying I found a way to change the name of already installed applications on android OS. Tested on Galaxy S2 with Gingerbread 2.3.4

8. Run Script.bat

- Open it with notepad.
-Save.

Reboot phone.

NO problems getting this to work. Slight changes have been made to APK Manager, so menu selection has changed a little but no big deal. Thanks for posting your method!

inkdup102586

May 15, 2010
Visit site
Most custom roms you can edit names of apps. I had the same issue with dolphin, I changed it just to "internet" and i also changed the icon ;)

C Rod

May 7, 2013
Visit site
lol Nice, I chenked the name of the Wifi Tether app and changed the pic to the Sprint hotspot icon in seconds, this is very simple. Use the Desktop Visualizer app.