10-18-2011 08:14 AM
88 1234
tools
    *shrugs*

After reading that article it looks more like the by product of iOS 5's optimization moreso than the raw processing power.

With all that said, I can care less about the processor being that much superior than the Galaxy S II when you can't even give the public a bigger screen lol. IPhone 4S may be a great device but it's too damn small for me
    Ok, but let's be honest here - if the results showed the GS2 trouncing the iPhone 4S you probably wouldn't be shrugging. No one cares about these stats unless it benefits the phone they own. THEN suddenly it's all very important.

It would be awesome if there were a good way to benchmark the hardware directly so we could see how the Exynos compares to the A5. My hunch is that both CPU's would be pretty comparable. For now the best we can do is deal with the limitations of the benchmarks. (and I trust Anandtech more than any other site for doing a thorough job)

Tip your cap to the A5 for now, and when ICS arrives hopefully we'll see the same test repeated.
    10-11-2011 03:27 PM
    Ok, but let's be honest here - if the results showed the GS2 trouncing the iPhone 4S you probably wouldn't be shrugging. No one cares about these stats unless it benefits the phone they own. THEN suddenly it's all very important.

It would be awesome if there were a good way to benchmark the hardware directly so we could see how the Exynos compares to the A5. My hunch is that both CPU's would be pretty comparable. For now the best we can do is deal with the limitations of the benchmarks. (and I trust Anandtech more than any other site for doing a thorough job)

Tip your cap to the A5 for now, and when ICS arrives hopefully we'll see the same test repeated.
    I'm really not a techy so the specs really don't matter too much for me. I was actually going to recommend the new Iphone to my wife (for just the ease of use factor) prior to their announcement until we all found out there are no design changes.

Apple can come out with a quad core SoC that scores 6000+ in quad benchmarks and it'll still get a shrug from me. I love the android OS and I'm a pretty big dude so a big screen for my fat fingers is a must lol. I get what you're saying though.
    10-11-2011 03:41 PM
    I'm really not a techy so the specs really don't matter too much for me. I was actually going to recommend the new Iphone to my wife (for just the ease of use factor) prior to their announcement until we all found out there are no design changes.

Apple can come out with a quad core SoC that scores 6000+ in quad benchmarks and it'll still get a shrug from me. I love the android OS and I'm a pretty big dude so a big screen for my fat fingers is a must lol. I get what you're saying though.
    I hear ya, I AM a spec nerd so I enjoy seeing how hardware compares. That being said, what really matters is how the phone performs in real world usage.

I actually ordered the new iPhone for my wife; as for me I'm on the fence. (the 3.5" screen size is probably preferable for her) Had the iPhone come out with a 4" screen I think I'd be sold. As it is, it's hard to go from my EVO to a 3.5" screen. The GS2 looks great, but I need to play with it a bit first before I make a decision. (plus I do kinda want to see what the Prime ends up looking like)
    10-11-2011 03:55 PM
    Everyone doesn't want a bigger screen. These phone websites only represent maybe 5% of the ppl that will buy cellphones. They must be satisfied with their 3.5 inch screen because Apple has already sold out of reorders. What android phone is selling like the phone. Not Sansung, HTC, or Motorola.
    10-11-2011 03:59 PM
    Everyone doesn't want a bigger screen. These phone websites only represent maybe 5% of the ppl that will buy cellphones. They must be satisfied with their 3.5 inch screen because Apple has already sold out of reorders. What android phone is selling like the phone. Not Sansung, HTC, or Motorola.
    I'm pretty sure everyone that has posted on this forum know that they don't represent the majority. But I'm assuming if you're on this board, screen size bigger than 3.5 mattered since you're wielding a 4.52 inch behemoth.

Apple can stick an apple logo on a 5 lb brick and call it the iPhone 5 and it will probably sell out the first day. Even with the disappointing announcement of the 4S, it wasn't a surprise that it will sell well.... It just gave more of an opportunity for other companies you mention to catch up. Bring on more competition, it'll only force more innovation from all and we will reap the benefits as consumers.
    10-11-2011 04:07 PM
    At the risk of sounding fanboyish, remember we're comparing the brand new iPhone 4S to essentially the 6 month old GS2. It'll be interesting to see what the Prime is capable of, and if ICS makes a difference on the GS2. On a side note I own an iPad, iPod Touch, and Macbook, but have never had any interest in the iPhone lol. Unless the performance gulf is massive in day to day use I won't be leaving Android anytime soon. The E4GT gives me pretty much everything the iPhone does with a larger screen, option of 4G, expandable memory, and customizability.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch
    10-11-2011 06:38 PM
    At the risk of sounding fanboyish, remember we're comparing the brand new iPhone 4S to essentially the 6 month old GS2. It'll be interesting to see what the Prime is capable of, and if ICS makes a difference on the GS2. On a side note I own an iPad, iPod Touch, and Macbook, but have never had any interest in the iPhone lol. Unless the performance gulf is massive in day to day use I won't be leaving Android anytime soon. The E4GT gives me pretty much everything the iPhone does with a larger screen, option of 4G, expandable memory, and customizability.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch
    What's the point of the iPhone having a faster processor if the Android browser is still faster and better, the screens are bigger, the data speeds are faster, if the iphone doesnt truly multitask, and the Android operating system is more capable? Just seems like a waste of a great processor.

sent from my EPIC TOUCH 4G, GALAXY SII
    10-11-2011 09:23 PM
    What's the point of the iPhone having a faster processor if the Android browser is still faster and better, the screens are bigger, the data speeds are faster, if the iphone doesnt truly multitask, and the Android operating system is more capable? Just seems like a waste of a great processor.

sent from my EPIC TOUCH 4G, GALAXY SII
    Gaming.

Oh, and the data speeds are only bad on Sprint/Verizon. An AT&T iPhone 4S user should enjoy nice speeds. (I also disagree about Android's browser being better, but whatever)
    10-12-2011 06:50 AM
    I love my new samsung over the iphone 4 I had. But I think, since apple does it all it gives them more control and the os plays much better with the phone. Android has to work for over over a 100 different combinations, where the ios only has to work with the iphone.
    10-12-2011 09:10 AM
    Gaming.

Oh, and the data speeds are only bad on Sprint/Verizon. An AT&T iPhone 4S user should enjoy nice speeds. (I also disagree about Android's browser being better, but whatever)
    The browser is faster and has flash.
    10-15-2011 05:48 PM
    The browser is faster and has flash.

It has flash which is a plus. But it USED to be barely faster versus the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4s has better hardware that is on par with SGS2 so that might make the iPhone 4s outperform it.
    10-16-2011 11:25 AM
    It has flash which is a plus. But it USED to be barely faster versus the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4s has better hardware that is on par with SGS2 so that might make the iPhone 4s outperform it.
    hmm not trying to beat up iphone hardware its a great device but the more I learn about hardware next to ET I'm finding iphone provide much less quailty.
    Iphone front camera clarity is much weaker on video chat and Speaker phone call clarity isn't as good.
    I must bring up the display again,
    Its pretty but so darn small making communication - texting , email etc difficult keyboard input to be pretty uncomfe compared to ET.

Anyway I have another day to play with it , my bro wont be returning it till Monday evening
    10-16-2011 01:12 PM
    I don't think the majority of the people who get the iPhone care about a second or two delay with the browser or that the browser doesn't have flash. They get an iPhone for the experience, the apps, the build quality or because all of their friends have them. Specs don't always translate into experience. Most of them heard new iPhone and preordered because they figured if its new its better, and for the most part the 4S is better than the 4. Better than my GS2? If I thought so I'd be on a different forum.
    10-16-2011 02:36 PM
    I don't think the majority of the people who get the iPhone care about a second or two delay with the browser or that the browser doesn't have flash. They get an iPhone for the experience, the apps, the build quality or because all of their friends have them. Specs don't always translate into experience. Most of them heard new iPhone and preordered because they figured if its new its better, and for the most part the 4S is better than the 4. Better than my GS2? If I thought so I'd be on a different forum.
    With the amount of ways to customize an Android phone it always amazes me the following the iphone gets. I mean yes it's a good phone but why settle for restrictions. I'm convinced its because it's trendy and ease of use and nothing more.
    10-16-2011 06:08 PM
    With the amount of ways to customize an Android phone it always amazes me the following the iphone gets. I mean yes it's a good phone but why settle for restrictions. I'm convinced its because it's trendy and ease of use and nothing more.
    Didn't you know? Having an iPhone is the hippest thing.
    10-16-2011 06:36 PM
    Good point GCMS!

tap'n
    10-16-2011 06:39 PM
    can someone post a camera comparison of the iphone 4s vs the epic 4g touch?
    10-16-2011 07:03 PM
    Robert Scobel (sp) did a comparison on Google +. On some photos I'd give the edge to the iPhone, on others, the SGS2. It wasn't necessarily the most scientific comparison, but then people who get the iPhone aren't necessarily looking for the best camera they can find on a phone.

GCMS, this is how I explained it to someone asking me about phones. So my wife LOVES coffee, so much that instead of doing the old MR. Coffee or a coffee maker, she grinds her own beans, has a french press, etc. Infinitely better cup of coffee. You pick your beans, the temperature of the water, how fine the grind is ... infinitely more control than say an instant machine. But despite that, I can almost guarantee that they sell more instant coffee machines than french presses. Why? Ease. Simplicity. No effort involved to reach the end result, which is a cup of coffee. Add water, open a can, push a button. Boom. Coffee. My wife goes through a few more steps, and would argue achieves a better result.

But then, my wife has a Nexus S, and not an iPhone.

We can argue about customization and flexibility until we're blue in the face. Until they experience it, they won't understand. And by experience I mean someone sits down and show them what they don't get with what they have. And even then, they still won't care, because a good percentage of people just want to push a button and get their coffee. Or go to Starbucks. No fuss, no work, no effort. And there isn't anything wrong with that. It's their choice. We just get a better cup of coffee than they do =) ...
    10-16-2011 07:38 PM
    Robert Scobel (sp) did a comparison on Google +. On some photos I'd give the edge to the iPhone, on others, the SGS2. It wasn't necessarily the most scientific comparison, but then people who get the iPhone aren't necessarily looking for the best camera they can find on a phone.

GCMS, this is how I explained it to someone asking me about phones. So my wife LOVES coffee, so much that instead of doing the old MR. Coffee or a coffee maker, she grinds her own beans, has a french press, etc. Infinitely better cup of coffee. You pick your beans, the temperature of the water, how fine the grind is ... infinitely more control than say an instant machine. But despite that, I can almost guarantee that they sell more instant coffee machines than french presses. Why? Ease. Simplicity. No effort involved to reach the end result, which is a cup of coffee. Add water, open a can, push a button. Boom. Coffee. My wife goes through a few more steps, and would argue achieves a better result.

We can argue about customization and flexibility until we're blue in the face. Until they experience it, they won't understand. And by experience I mean someone sits down and show them what they don't get with what they have. And even then, they still won't care, because a good percentage of people just want to push a button and get their coffee. Or go to Starbucks. No fuss, no work, no effort. And there isn't anything wrong with that. It's their choice. We just get a better cup of coffee than they do =) ...
    Agreed. But man they missing out but oh well to each there own.
    10-16-2011 07:43 PM
    Why? Because 95% of the smartphone buying population are not geeks like us and don't give a rat's a$$ about customization, rooting, multi-tasking restrictions, lack of flash, etc, etc. They just don't. And for them the iphone is perfect because it's simple, it's elegant, and it works.

The thing people keep forgetting is that Apple doesn't make products for niche audiences. They make products for the majority of consumers. And the majority wants a high quality, easy to use smartphone that does all (or the almost all) of things they care about. To that end, the iPhone is pretty close to perfect and THAT is why it sells so well.

PS: I will also add that I know plenty of nerdy geeks who prefer the iPhone to Android even though they're highly capable of rooting and customizing. For them, a phone is an important tool and not something that want to tinker with and they'll take the down-sides of the iphone (restrictive app market, lack of flash, etc) for the benefits. (better battery life, phone that just works, etc)
    10-16-2011 08:04 PM
    can someone post a camera comparison of the iphone 4s vs the epic 4g touch?
    Smartphone Camera Battle: iPhone 4S vs. the Android Elite - Page 4 | PCWorld
    10-16-2011 10:04 PM

Your coffee comparison has to be the best I have read to date between the two platforms!! Cudo's to you!!!
    10-16-2011 11:02 PM
    I just picked up the iPhone 4S for my wife on Saturday. As expected it's very nice, but it's an iPhone. You pretty much know what you're going to get. iOS 5 did a decent job on the notification bar, but I thought it was funny seeing widgets in there. I also like the way they implemented the iCloud settings. Very easy and user friendly, and the control of what you want to sync with the cloud or not made a lot of sense.

As far as hardware goes, it's a wash in my opinion. I still prefer the larger screen though. The iPhone 4(S) screen just looks tiny. Apple really should move to a 4" screen. The screen on the E4GT wins handily in my opinion, even at the lower PPI.

In the end, for me, it boils down to Android vs. iOS, and I prefer Android. Pick up two iPhones and you can barely tell them apart. Pick up two Android phones of the same make an model, and you may see something entirely different. I like that.
    GCMS and Slingbox like this.
    10-16-2011 11:18 PM
    In the end, for me, it boils down to Android vs. iOS, and I prefer Android. Pick up two iPhones and you can barely tell them apart. Pick up two Android phones of the same make an model, and you may see something entirely different. I like that.
    Great Point!
    10-16-2011 11:28 PM
    Drop test video...the Galaxy S2 appeared to fare very well. The iPhone, well...it's all glass, what do you expect?

iPhone 4S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II Drop Test - YouTube
    10-17-2011 12:24 PM
88 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD