10-18-2011 08:14 AM
88 ... 234
tools
    Drop test video...the Galaxy S2 appeared to fare very well. The iPhone, well...it's all glass, what do you expect?

iPhone 4S vs. Samsung Galaxy S II Drop Test - YouTube
    lol so much for better built.
    10-17-2011 12:29 PM
    So still pictures are tie, but the Epic Touch has superior 1080p video recording.

So overall, the Epic Touch has the better camera (actually, cameras -- the 2MP front facing camera vastly outperforms the iPhone's VGA one).

I saw this link at Androidforums:

Face Off Samsung Galaxy S II vs Apple iPhone 4S | SmartPhone Envy

The Galaxy S II is everything the iPhone 4S is and more. It’s quicker, better 1080p video capture, larger display, better browsing experience, faster at loading web pages, better for watching video, Swype, more attachments for messaging, the list goes on and on.
    BTW, that's the same Chris Gillespie who slammed the Evo 4G in his video first impressions last year and incited phandroid nerd rage since he was rocking the 3GS at the time.

It is amusing that reviewers reflexively give the iPhone points for "build quality" since the glass frequently shatters. It may look cooler in their eyes, but it does not pass the definition of "build quality".
    10-17-2011 12:40 PM
    Robert Scobel (sp) did a comparison on Google +. On some photos I'd give the edge to the iPhone, on others, the SGS2. It wasn't necessarily the most scientific comparison, but then people who get the iPhone aren't necessarily looking for the best camera they can find on a phone.

GCMS, this is how I explained it to someone asking me about phones. So my wife LOVES coffee, so much that instead of doing the old MR. Coffee or a coffee maker, she grinds her own beans, has a french press, etc. Infinitely better cup of coffee. You pick your beans, the temperature of the water, how fine the grind is ... infinitely more control than say an instant machine. But despite that, I can almost guarantee that they sell more instant coffee machines than french presses. Why? Ease. Simplicity. No effort involved to reach the end result, which is a cup of coffee. Add water, open a can, push a button. Boom. Coffee. My wife goes through a few more steps, and would argue achieves a better result.

But then, my wife has a Nexus S, and not an iPhone.

We can argue about customization and flexibility until we're blue in the face. Until they experience it, they won't understand. And by experience I mean someone sits down and show them what they don't get with what they have. And even then, they still won't care, because a good percentage of people just want to push a button and get their coffee. Or go to Starbucks. No fuss, no work, no effort. And there isn't anything wrong with that. It's their choice. We just get a better cup of coffee than they do =) ...
    Your coffee comparison has to be the best I have read to date between the two platforms!! Cudo's to you!!!
    I concur; I just read it and am surprised more people didn't acknowledge or give props to the analogy.

It is amusing that reviewers reflexively give the iPhone points for "build quality" since the glass frequently shatters. It may look cooler in their eyes, but it does not pass the definition of "build quality".
    Well here's the thing; I know what angle they're coming from when they say the iPhone has better build quality. If you initially hold the iPhone and just admire it's aesthetics; it is a solidly built phone. But now as far as build quality in regards to damage-prevention; yeah it's pretty fragile.
    10-17-2011 12:50 PM
    Has anybody ever seen an Adnroid Phone on the "Big Screen"? I was watching "I love you, Man" the other day and if that movie wasn't an hour and half advertisement for the iphone i don't know what is.
    10-17-2011 12:57 PM
    It has flash which is a plus. But it USED to be barely faster versus the iPhone 4. The iPhone 4s has better hardware that is on par with SGS2 so that might make the iPhone 4s outperform it.
    hmm not trying to beat up iphone hardware its a great device but the more I learn about hardware next to ET I'm finding iphone provide much less quality.
    Iphone front camera clarity is much weaker on video chat and Speaker phone call clarity isn't as good.
    I must bring up the display again,
    Its pretty but so darn small making communication - texting , email etc difficult keyboard input to be pretty uncomfe compared to ET.

Anyway I have another day to play with it , my bro wont be returning it till Monday evening

A Follow up
    It was fun playing with Iphone for a couple days no wonder it ruled the smart phone world once upon a time.
    Anyway some more findings,

I was going to give IPS build quality win but after seeing drop video that's not going to happen.
    GSII preformed a tad faster & browser experience was much smoother.
    Iphone customization was jail GSII for the win.
    Call quality was equal except for speakerphone calls GSII was better.
    Front Camera pic quality GSII was better
    Rear Camera pic same quality.
    Data speeds the same.
    Iphone battery life for the win.....not by much though.
    Both displays are crisp colors pop. IPS screen resolution was sharp yet the screen is so small its takes away from overall view quality user experience which is one of the main reasons my bro returned.
    10-17-2011 01:02 PM
    If you're measuring numbers by which singular phone model is the best-selling, the iPhone is still the market leader hands down, but obviously Android as a phone OS has a larger installed base overall. I almost couldn't believe Apple sold 4 million 4S's over the weekend. Just goes to show that people will cry foul about a "minor upgrade", yet turn around and spend their money purely because a new iPhone is a new iPhone. Now that the iPhone is on the 3 largest carriers the real battle between Android and iOS will get started and I think we'll see an explosion of superior Android devices out there. The gloves are off and I for one am excited to see what's coming down the line.
    10-17-2011 02:43 PM
    Your coffee comparison has to be the best I have read to date between the two platforms!! Cudo's to you!!!
    I totally agree. I must have skimmed this thread the first time because I missed it. Excellent analogy freddyc. It's perfect really.
    10-17-2011 03:54 PM
    I knew I was going to eat my words. I went out and bought the 4S on launch day. Dare I say I love it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-17-2011 03:58 PM
    I knew I was going to eat my words. I went out and bought the 4S on launch day. Dare I say I love it?

No, now get out of here!

I KEED I KEED!

It's all good man. I have one in my house now too (wife). It's a nice device. It's not for me, but it's a quality Apple product for sure.
    10-17-2011 04:09 PM

Ban please...lol j/k
    10-17-2011 04:28 PM
    I was pretty on with Camera still comparison but what I didn't compare was video not surprising GSII takes the win

Smartphone Camera Battle: iPhone 4S vs. the Android Elite - Page 2 | PCWorld
    10-17-2011 05:05 PM
    Thanks for the kudos. I do have my moments where what I say actually makes sense =)

Dwaynewilliams, are you on Sprint? Are you experiencing any data issues?
    10-17-2011 11:27 PM
    Thanks for the kudos. I do have my moments where what I say actually makes sense =)

Dwaynewilliams, are you on Sprint? Are you experiencing any data issues?
    I am not on Sprint anymore. I went with Verizon because the coverage is much better in my area. Having Sprint was one of the negative experiences with the Epic Touch. The data speeds were so slow. I live the prices of plans, but it felt like I was being throttled all the time. I also dropped a lot of calls.

10-18-2011 08:14 AM
88 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD