Epic 4G Touch vs Iphone 4S (You knew it was coming)

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Yes Officer... The Note from what i read is at the FCC. supposedly heading to ATT. I don't want ATT but will check it out when/if it comes out and not on Sprint. My wife likes it for the stylist and drawing. She as I were eyes wide open when we saw the guy Drawing on it. It will be a huge phone but cool as a baby tab...

noshooz

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Having the iPhone will be good for Sprint, there's a lot of pent-up demand for it. It would have been nice if they could have included WiMax in the new version. That may turn off some Sprint users that were aspiring to upgrade. I have a Pre on a spare line that I thought I might upgrade it with the new iPhone, depending on its capabilities. Perhaps not.

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
TiPb Poll: Only 21% Of iPhone Fans Are Getting an iPhone 4S

Apple iPhone 4S Improvements Over iPhone 4:
+ Siri is much like Vlingo Voice Controls
+ Faster Dual Core CPU but iPhone 4 already was really responsive
+ Apple Matched the 8MP on the rear camera

iPhone 4S Did not address:
- Only 9% Want a Screen under 4". 4 years later, 4.5" is 58% more screen area
- No LED Notification
- No microSD
- No Sprint 4G
- No Verizon LTE
- No AT&T HSPA+ 21Mbps
- 0.3MP VGA front camera should have been 2MP
- No DLNA
- No Widgets
- No FM Radio
- No Keyboard options, Android has endless options
- One Home button instead of Search, Menu, Back, and Home (also used by games)
- No Removable, replacable battery
- No Real micro USB connect - no proprietary USB cables.

See:
Editorial: Now we know why Apple went after Samsung in the courtroom
Samsung Releases a Comparison Chart: Galaxy S II vs iPhone 4S | TheUnlockr
iPhone 4S vs. the smartphone elite: Galaxy S II, Bionic and Titan -- Engadget
Specification Comparison: iPhone 4S vs Samsung Galaxy S II | TechnoBolt

Last edited:
Reactions: Citymusic08
Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Couldn't have said it better myself Milo. There was so much Apple could have addressed and improved with the iPhone 4S that they just flat out ignored. It's even more appalling that they had well over a year to work on this updated model and still changed so little. Having said that, I certainly wasn't expecting to be converted to the iPhone with this announcement, but I also wasn't expecting such a massive disappointment either. It's like they didn't even try because they know it's going to sell like crazy regardless of what they do...

Disappointing to no end. I sort of hope the sales reflect the disappointment of the phone and get Apple to shape up, because legitimate competition is what drives these companies to create better products.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes Officer... The Note from what i read is at the FCC. supposedly heading to ATT. I don't want ATT but will check it out when/if it comes out and not on Sprint. My wife likes it for the stylist and drawing. She as I were eyes wide open when we saw the guy Drawing on it. It will be a huge phone but cool as a baby tab...

I know, I might wait for the Prime if it comes out for Sprint by December :D. Have you seen the article on AC?

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys on the other hand..You can't blame Apple for being the most brilliant minds in the world.. Just think about the economies of scale that they will reach while selling millions of these phones!! Their per unit profit is going to quadruple.. Apple has factually mass produced the entire package of last years materials for the IP4s. This means that all components of this phone with the exception of the camera sensor should be massively discounted to Apple because they have so much of the components in stock.. Even the A5 chip has been mass produced because it was in the Ipad. Although their products are old and outdated Apple is brilliant in what they do. The only key feature here will be the voice activation.. Think about it...How many of you actually use voice activation on your phone now??? What Apple will do with this is market this lone feature as the latest and greatest "new" thing and market it well..Anybody remember "facetime" lol..You never see anyone using it because it didn't even work well on At&t network..I bet it will only cost Apple close to 150 per unit to build the 4S. IJS Apple and its executives are brilliant!!

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys on the other hand..You can't blame Apple for being the most brilliant minds in the world.. Just think about the economies of scale that they will reach while selling millions of these phones!! Their per unit profit is going to quadruple.. Apple has factually mass produced the entire package of last years materials for the IP4s. This means that all components of this phone with the exception of the camera sensor should be massively discounted to Apple because they have so much of the components in stock.. Even the A5 chip has been mass produced because it was in the Ipad. Although their products are old and outdated Apple is brilliant in what they do. The only key feature here will be the voice activation.. Think about it...How many of you actually use voice activation on your phone now??? What Apple will do with this is market this lone feature as the latest and greatest "new" thing and market it well..Anybody remember "facetime" lol..You never see anyone using it because it didn't even work well on At&t network..I bet it will only cost Apple close to 150 per unit to build the 4S. IJS Apple and its executives are brilliant!!

dguidry, I really don't think Apple is brilliant for coming out with only a spec bump of their key product when the market was asking for a full overhaul. There isn't going to be any major impact to the cost per unit. The new chip and camera are more expensive while the cost to make the chassis wouldn't havent changed much. Additionally the phone now has two network chips in it.

They do sell a ton of the phones, no doubt about that, but they already achieve those economies of scale because so many of the networks use GSM so they only had to sell ONE GSM variant. The only area where Apple will possibly increase their margins is through the price points for the 32 and 64GB versions. I have a 16GB GS2 with a 16 GB add on card that cost me 25 bucks. Thats 225 vs 300. For 285 I can get to 80GB (with a 64GB card) as opposed to 400 for a 64GB. Can't imagine that memory costs Apple as much as it seems

Voice activation is certainly this years facetime. A useless feature that is already available from other operating systems that won't have a lot of adoption. I can't wait to see everyone walking the streets of new york trying to talk into their phones with all the background noise.

I think this is one of the first times Apple really dropped the ball. The extended wait had people thinking bigger and better. The market has made a significant shift to 4.3 (or 4.5)" screens. instead Apple continued the process of telling consumers what they want and not giving them options. They had an opportunity to destroy the 4.3" phone market and decided not to.

slschmidt76

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I have an Ipad touch, Ipad & Imac and love them, but my phone is gonna be Android until Apple ups the screen size and adds some widgits. Those are both deal breakers for me!

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I heard that upping the screen size would make their pixel density advantage dissipate. Since apps would have to be reprogrammed for different resolutions it would be a MAJOR headache for them to mess with the screen.

They could have let the resolution be the same and upped the screen size and lose their competitive advantage or change both but jeopardize their app ecosystem.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I heard that upping the screen size would make their pixel density advantage dissipate. Since apps would have to be reprogrammed for different resolutions it would be a MAJOR headache for them to mess with the screen.

They could have let the resolution be the same and upped the screen size and lose their competitive advantage or change both but jeopardize their app ecosystem.

Skyo, I have posted a couple of times about that pixel density advantage and how they would lose it if they upped the screen size, but I didn't consider the apps.Great point about about the app ecosystem. I know from my brief time with the Moto Photon that not every app will work with a qHD screen (always shocked Chuzzle never worked). Considering Android has handled multiple resolutions for awhile, most apps are built to address it. Apple has only dealt with the iPad and iPhone resolutions and any change would require a significant overhaul of their app store. I guess whenever Apple is ready to join the ranks of the 4" screen it isn't going to be much of a secret since app developers will know about it.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Well I hope Heese didn't drop as much money rumored for this thing because Nexus Prime will destroy it.

Oh and for those thinking Prime will be carried by Sprint don't count on it.
Im betting Apple deal keeps it off Sprint Christmas list.

That is what I am most concerned about. Not only for the Prime but for all of the big ones after that.

If Hesse did make that big of a deal with Apple I am sure Apple will want their phone being the king and that might make Sprint not pick up some of the new Androids.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
That is what I am most concerned about. Not only for the Prime but for all of the big ones after that.

If Hesse did make that big of a deal with Apple I am sure Apple will want their phone being the king and that might make Sprint not pick up some of the new Androids.

I wouldn't put any faith into that rumor that Sprint ordered $20bn worth of iPhones. The first story that broke regarding that also mentioned that Sprint was getting exclusivity (something Apple is done with since it needs/wants/craves more market share) for the iPhone 5 (a non-existant phone) through 2012 (just ludicrous). I absolutely think the iPhone is a good thing for Sprint to make a headway into the post paid market that is valuable to a carriers long term survival. Hopefully Mr. Hesse has some great news coming on October 7th regarding speeds and such. I'm just hoping my GS2 E4GT will be able to handle it (I've heard arguments about the 800MHz network and Rev B, I'll wait till the 7th before I get mad or happy)

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I think the iphone displays are manufactured by Samsung which might explain why no screen size upgrade took place.

I think LG makes the iPhone 4's IPS displays.

But in any case, the iPhone 4S announcement yesterday was a big bag full of fail. The only features that would incline any current iPhone 4 user to upgrade is the 1080p recording ability. The dual core A5 might be nice, but it probably doesn't improve the performance over the iPhone 4 significantly enough to justify the cost/contract extension for most iPhone 4 owners.

And Siri? What a joke. The day I start talking to my f***ing phone... ;)

But the biggest fail for the 4S is keeping that tiny screen for yet another generation. Even if they kept the overall form factor/design the same but with a 4" screen, I think many people would consider upgrading or switching to it, but with that 3.5" screen it's just a joke (especially on Safari because you have the navigation button bar at the bottom taking up more space since there is only a home button on the iPhone).

I expect the Nexus Prime, with it's larger, HD screen with on screen 'buttons' and curved, sexy form factor (although I prefer a non-curved phone for media and storage in my pocket reasons) to blow away the surprisingly underwhelming 4S. Of course, the E4GT (and other GSII varieties) already does (blow the 4S away). :)

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Skyo, I have posted a couple of times about that pixel density advantage and how they would lose it if they upped the screen size, but I didn't consider the apps.Great point about about the app ecosystem. I know from my brief time with the Moto Photon that not every app will work with a qHD screen (always shocked Chuzzle never worked). Considering Android has handled multiple resolutions for awhile, most apps are built to address it. Apple has only dealt with the iPad and iPhone resolutions and any change would require a significant overhaul of their app store. I guess whenever Apple is ready to join the ranks of the 4" screen it isn't going to be much of a secret since app developers will know about it.

Wait, but all you're doing is making the screen bigger, not adding more resolution so wouldn't the apps still be compatible?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech