Epic 4G Touch vs Iphone 4S (You knew it was coming)

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
The new iPhone 4S came up short. That's it. Apple seems to have an opportunity to show something remarkable and they didn't. Its the one problem with their strategy if coming out with one phone per year. If it isn't a hit, they are going to be trampled.

Last edited:

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Wait, but all you're doing is making the screen bigger, not adding more resolution so wouldn't the apps still be compatible?

In the case of them just increasing the size of the screen (without adjusting the resolution) that would decrease the pixel density of the screen (the "retina display" they tout frequently). I agree if they just made it bigger they won't have a problem with the apps.

We were talking about the option of increasing the screen size and the resolution to keep the pixel density the same. In this instance they would have an issue with the apps. Additionally, part of this may be the reason the iPad doesnt have an IPS, retina display yet.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
In the case of them just increasing the size of the screen (without adjusting the resolution) that would decrease the pixel density of the screen (the "retina display" they tout frequently). I agree if they just made it bigger they won't have a problem with the apps.

We were talking about the option of increasing the screen size and the resolution to keep the pixel density the same. In this instance they would have an issue with the apps. Additionally, part of this may be the reason the iPad doesnt have an IPS, retina display yet.

Ah, I see. I misinterpreted your post

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

KoukiFC3S

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I'm still debating the switch.

My GSII has been great, but it does run really hot when pushed.

Have you guys seen the sunspider benchmark of the 4S? It performs twice as well as our phones.

Sent from my Epic 4G Touch

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm assuming that's just for the GPU. It was already established that the A5 chip is better for graphics when anantech did their GS2 review. Exynos probably kills it in almost every other area I would think.

No, it was CPU and GPU. And it doesn't look like the Exynos killed it at all.

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
...But in any case, the iPhone 4S announcement yesterday was a big bag full of fail. The only features that would incline any current iPhone 4 user to upgrade is the 1080p recording ability. The dual core A5 might be nice, but it probably doesn't improve the performance over the iPhone 4 significantly enough to justify the cost/contract extension for most iPhone 4 owners. ...

Calm down fanboy. I'm baffled as to why so many consider the 4S to be a "fail". I too would have loved to see a bigger screen, but other than that it's a pretty nice upgrade. You need to remember that the general public doesn't upgrade their smarthphone every 10 - 12 months like those of us around here do. They wait until their eligible for the upgrade from their carrier. Apple seems to be in a pattern of doing big upgrades every 2 years, and then doing incremental refinements in the in-between years.

I think the only question is if Apple should be doing major upgrades yearly as the Android manufacturers seem to be doing. So far I don't think they need to as long as the incremental upgrades keep them competitive - which so far they do.

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
No, it was CPU and GPU. And it doesn't look like the Exynos killed it at all.

*shrugs*

After reading that article it looks more like the by product of iOS 5's optimization moreso than the raw processing power.

With all that said, I can care less about the processor being that much superior than the Galaxy S II when you can't even give the public a bigger screen lol. IPhone 4S may be a great device but it's too damn small for me :D

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
*shrugs*

After reading that article it looks more like the by product of iOS 5's optimization moreso than the raw processing power.

With all that said, I can care less about the processor being that much superior than the Galaxy S II when you can't even give the public a bigger screen lol. IPhone 4S may be a great device but it's too damn small for me :D

Ok, but let's be honest here - if the results showed the GS2 trouncing the iPhone 4S you probably wouldn't be shrugging. No one cares about these stats unless it benefits the phone they own. THEN suddenly it's all very important. :)

It would be awesome if there were a good way to benchmark the hardware directly so we could see how the Exynos compares to the A5. My hunch is that both CPU's would be pretty comparable. For now the best we can do is deal with the limitations of the benchmarks. (and I trust Anandtech more than any other site for doing a thorough job)

Tip your cap to the A5 for now, and when ICS arrives hopefully we'll see the same test repeated.

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Ok, but let's be honest here - if the results showed the GS2 trouncing the iPhone 4S you probably wouldn't be shrugging. No one cares about these stats unless it benefits the phone they own. THEN suddenly it's all very important. :)

It would be awesome if there were a good way to benchmark the hardware directly so we could see how the Exynos compares to the A5. My hunch is that both CPU's would be pretty comparable. For now the best we can do is deal with the limitations of the benchmarks. (and I trust Anandtech more than any other site for doing a thorough job)

Tip your cap to the A5 for now, and when ICS arrives hopefully we'll see the same test repeated.

I'm really not a techy so the specs really don't matter too much for me. I was actually going to recommend the new Iphone to my wife (for just the ease of use factor) prior to their announcement until we all found out there are no design changes.

Apple can come out with a quad core SoC that scores 6000+ in quad benchmarks and it'll still get a shrug from me. I love the android OS and I'm a pretty big dude so a big screen for my fat fingers is a must lol. I get what you're saying though.

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm really not a techy so the specs really don't matter too much for me. I was actually going to recommend the new Iphone to my wife (for just the ease of use factor) prior to their announcement until we all found out there are no design changes.

Apple can come out with a quad core SoC that scores 6000+ in quad benchmarks and it'll still get a shrug from me. I love the android OS and I'm a pretty big dude so a big screen for my fat fingers is a must lol. I get what you're saying though.

I hear ya, I AM a spec nerd so I enjoy seeing how hardware compares. That being said, what really matters is how the phone performs in real world usage.

I actually ordered the new iPhone for my wife; as for me I'm on the fence. (the 3.5" screen size is probably preferable for her) Had the iPhone come out with a 4" screen I think I'd be sold. As it is, it's hard to go from my EVO to a 3.5" screen. The GS2 looks great, but I need to play with it a bit first before I make a decision. (plus I do kinda want to see what the Prime ends up looking like)

tewest86

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Everyone doesn't want a bigger screen. These phone websites only represent maybe 5% of the ppl that will buy cellphones. They must be satisfied with their 3.5 inch screen because Apple has already sold out of reorders. What android phone is selling like the phone. Not Sansung, HTC, or Motorola.

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Everyone doesn't want a bigger screen. These phone websites only represent maybe 5% of the ppl that will buy cellphones. They must be satisfied with their 3.5 inch screen because Apple has already sold out of reorders. What android phone is selling like the phone. Not Sansung, HTC, or Motorola.

I'm pretty sure everyone that has posted on this forum know that they don't represent the majority. But I'm assuming if you're on this board, screen size bigger than 3.5 mattered since you're wielding a 4.52 inch behemoth.

Apple can stick an apple logo on a 5 lb brick and call it the iPhone 5 and it will probably sell out the first day. Even with the disappointing announcement of the 4S, it wasn't a surprise that it will sell well.... It just gave more of an opportunity for other companies you mention to catch up. Bring on more competition, it'll only force more innovation from all and we will reap the benefits as consumers.

Ricolando

Aug 31, 2010
Visit site
At the risk of sounding fanboyish, remember we're comparing the brand new iPhone 4S to essentially the 6 month old GS2. It'll be interesting to see what the Prime is capable of, and if ICS makes a difference on the GS2. On a side note I own an iPad, iPod Touch, and Macbook, but have never had any interest in the iPhone lol. Unless the performance gulf is massive in day to day use I won't be leaving Android anytime soon. The E4GT gives me pretty much everything the iPhone does with a larger screen, option of 4G, expandable memory, and customizability.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
At the risk of sounding fanboyish, remember we're comparing the brand new iPhone 4S to essentially the 6 month old GS2. It'll be interesting to see what the Prime is capable of, and if ICS makes a difference on the GS2. On a side note I own an iPad, iPod Touch, and Macbook, but have never had any interest in the iPhone lol. Unless the performance gulf is massive in day to day use I won't be leaving Android anytime soon. The E4GT gives me pretty much everything the iPhone does with a larger screen, option of 4G, expandable memory, and customizability.

What's the point of the iPhone having a faster processor if the Android browser is still faster and better, the screens are bigger, the data speeds are faster, if the iphone doesnt truly multitask, and the Android operating system is more capable? Just seems like a waste of a great processor.

sent from my EPIC TOUCH 4G, GALAXY SII

eagle63

May 7, 2010
Visit site
What's the point of the iPhone having a faster processor if the Android browser is still faster and better, the screens are bigger, the data speeds are faster, if the iphone doesnt truly multitask, and the Android operating system is more capable? Just seems like a waste of a great processor.

sent from my EPIC TOUCH 4G, GALAXY SII

Gaming.

Oh, and the data speeds are only bad on Sprint/Verizon. An AT&T iPhone 4S user should enjoy nice speeds. (I also disagree about Android's browser being better, but whatever)

tony404

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I love my new samsung over the iphone 4 I had. But I think, since apple does it all it gives them more control and the os plays much better with the phone. Android has to work for over over a 100 different combinations, where the ios only has to work with the iphone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech