11 things I don't like about the E4GT...

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I've had the E4GT for almost three weeks now (since launch day), and overall I really like it. I would give it a 90/100 rating. But there are some annoying features/issues/bugs with my non-rooted, stock E4GT that I wish could be resolved sooner than later (or at least, someday!). I will say again that the good features of this phone far outweigh the negative ones, but still there are some minor and some more significant issues that do detract from the user experience of this phone (to varying degrees).

In no particular order:

1. Poorly functioning Auto-brightness
This sucks in the E4GT, with dramatic, abrupt, and sometimes inappropriate brightness changes. I used this all the time in my Evo 4G but can't in the E4GT because it works so poorly.

2. Screen dimming issue with stock browser
Basically, when I set the brightness at a high level (let's say, for example, the highest setting) for using outdoors and open up the stock internet browser, it 'auto-dims' right after it opens up. This is even with the display brightness auto-setting and the 'auto adjust screen power' setting turned off. It doesn't happen with the other browser I have (skyfire), only the stock one. It's annoying because I like the stock browser but it's less usable outdoors because of this inexplicable auto dimming that happens.

3. Slow Notification light blinking speed/rate
It's too damn slow. There should be an option to adjust the speed. I know there are some apps to help deal with this, but it shouldn't require that.

4. Lock screen lag
I'm used to it popping up immediately in my Evo 4G so it's been somewhat annoying having to wait a full second for it to pop up after pressing the power key. Supposedly it is due to the phone being in some sort of sleep mode to conserve battery life? If so, that's reasonable and perhaps good even.

5. Inability to select emails in stock Email app
Luckily, Microsoft released the hotmail app recently because the stock one, while nice overall, was virtually unusable for me because you cannot select individual/multiple emails to delete. The hotmail app has made this issue a moot point for me.

6. (Sometimes) slow GPS locking speed
This has been an issue more recently. I'm finding that GPS seems to take quite long to lock in a signal quite frequently, sometimes over a few minutes. It seemed like it locked faster before, but now it more often than not takes awhile. I don't live in the middle of Manhattan or anything, but the cloud coverage out here (near Seattle) may play a role.

7. (Always) poor Wifi connection stability
This is one of the most annoying things about my E4GT. I cannot keep a wifi signal in my home for more than 30 minutes at a time, regardless of how close I am to my wireless router. It is easily remedied by toggling the wifi off and on, but still annoying.

8. Poor WiMax reception?
"?" because this is probably related to the poor 4Gcoverage in Tacoma, WA where I live, but at least with my Evo 4G I could get a bit better 4G signal than with my E4GT. I'll see how it is at some point in Seattle, where the 4G coverage is much more ubiquitous.

9. Inability to keep display turned on continuously (e.g. can't turn off the screen timeout)
I find it sad that there is no option to keep the screen timeout at 'never', or even at more than 10 minutes. I find this annoying because if I am using google maps to navigate (but without using the navigation app), it will time out.

10. Swiping to answer call on stock dialer/phone
I don't understand why Samsung would think it's a good idea to make you drag your finger across the screen just to answer a phone call. Don't laugh, but I have missed a few calls because I couldn't whip out the phone and drag the tab fast enough to answer the call.

11. Lack of 'inertial' dragging of the drag down notification bar
What I mean, is that you have to 'drag' the bar all the way up the screen to the top for it to definitely close. If you only drag it up halfway up the screen, for instance, there is no 'inertia' that will continue moving it to the top. So the notification bar may decelerate and then sadly flop back down to the bottom in failure (unlike my Evo 4G where a drag 'flick' will shoot the bar all the way up or down). Oddly, dragging down is easier and doesn't require a full screen drag.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Reactions: cfbauer and Jsadik

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: A few things I don't like about the E4GT...

Most of those don't really give me any headaches, and I LOVE this phone. I haven't had issues with Wifi, data, or GPS issues but I do think that the WiMax radio is a bit weak.

I guess the only major gripe (and it's actually pretty minor) I have is the amount of time it takes to fully charge (3 hours??). Doesn't matter much most of the time since I charge it over night but if you really need a quick charge mid day, it can be a bit annoying.

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

Most of those don't really give me any headaches, and I LOVE this phone. I haven't had issues with Wifi, data, or GPS issues but I do think that the WiMax radio is a bit weak.

I guess the only major gripe (and it's actually pretty minor) I have is the amount of time it takes to fully charge (3 hours??). Doesn't matter much most of the time since I charge it over night but if you really need a quick charge mid day, it can be a bit annoying.

I think that 3 hours to fully charge a 1800mAh battery is pretty reasonable.

But yeah, none of my 'complaints' are major issues or deal breakers (that's why I still have it!) but if they didn't exist it would elevate this phone to 100/100.

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

I think that 3 hours to fully charge a 1800mAh battery is pretty reasonable.

But yeah, none of my 'complaints' are major issues or deal breakers (that's why I still have it!) but if they didn't exist it would elevate this phone to 100/100.

Oh, don't mind me. This is my first true Android phone and coming from a BB Pearl, it just seems like a long time to charge :)

nikeairs23

Sep 18, 2011
Visit site
Re: 10 things I don't like about the E4GT...

LOL, the swiping to answer calls suck. I don't know who thought that would be a good idea.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site

I think its a solid list of the items that might be moderately annoying to people. I'm not a fan of the blink rate on the LED. Other than that, this thing is great. The battery is fantastic, and I haven't had much issue with the radios.

SanGo

May 13, 2010
Visit site

From what I recall, isn't the stock vanilla dialer a "drag to answer" system too? I had the rotary one when I was using CM7 so I don't clearly remember. I don't use the auto brightness because every phone I've used had a crappy auto bright system. The LED blink can definitely be annoying though.

mrnd23

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Agree on some of the annoying points. Never had any wifi, gps or reception issues whatsoever. As for your point 2 for Browser brightness have you checked that the stock browser has a brightness setting separate from the global brightness setting. It has its own auto brightness which you need to turn off. you can bring it up by touching the settings key while in the browser. I was frustrated with that auto dimming (as you mentioned in point 1 that auto brightness feature sucks pretty bad)for the first 2 days too but then figured it out. dont have that problem any more.

Reactions: h4ldol

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I've had the E4GT for almost three weeks now (since launch day), and overall I really like it. I would give it a 90/100 rating. But there are some annoying features/issues/bugs with my non-rooted, stock E4GT that I wish could be resolved sooner than later (or at least, someday!). I will say again that the good features of this phone far outweigh the negative ones, but still there are some minor and some more significant issues that do detract from the user experience of this phone (to varying degrees).

In no particular order:

This sucks in the E4GT, with dramatic, abrupt, and sometimes inappropriate brightness changes. I used this all the time in my Evo 4G but can't in the E4GT because it works so poorly.

Basically, when I set the brightness at a high level (let's say, for example, the highest setting) for using outdoors and open up the stock internet browser, it 'auto-dims' right after it opens up. This is even with the display brightness auto-setting and the 'auto adjust screen power' setting turned off. It doesn't happen with the other browser I have (skyfire), only the stock one. It's annoying because I like the stock browser but it's less usable outdoors because of this inexplicable auto dimming that happens.

It's too damn slow. There should be an option to adjust the speed. I know there are some apps to help deal with this, but it shouldn't require that.

4. Lock screen lag
I'm used to it popping up immediately in my Evo 4G so it's been somewhat annoying having to wait a full second for it to pop up after pressing the power key. Supposedly it is due to the phone being in some sort of sleep mode to conserve battery life? If so, that's reasonable and perhaps good even.

Luckily, Microsoft released the hotmail app recently because the stock one, while nice overall, was virtually unusable for me because you cannot select individual/multiple emails to delete. The hotmail app has made this issue a moot point for me.

This has been an issue more recently. I'm finding that GPS seems to take quite long to lock in a signal quite frequently, sometimes over a few minutes. It seemed like it locked faster before, but now it more often than not takes awhile. I don't live in the middle of Manhattan or anything, but the cloud coverage out here (near Seattle) may play a role.

This is one of the most annoying things about my E4GT. I cannot keep a wifi signal in my home for more than 30 minutes at a time, regardless of how close I am to my wireless router. It is easily remedied by toggling the wifi off and on, but still annoying.

8. Poor WiMax reception?
"?" because this is probably related to the poor 4Gcoverage in Tacoma, WA where I live, but at least with my Evo 4G I could get a bit better 4G signal than with my E4GT. I'll see how it is at some point in Seattle, where the 4G coverage is much more ubiquitous.

9. Inability to keep display turned on continuously (e.g. can't turn off the screen timeout)
I find it sad that there is no option to keep the screen timeout at 'never', or even at more than 10 minutes. I find this annoying because if I am using google maps to navigate (but without using the navigation app), it will time out.

I don't understand why Samsung would think it's a good idea to make you drag your finger across the screen just to answer a phone call. Don't laugh, but I have missed a few calls because I couldn't whip out the phone and drag the tab fast enough to answer the call.

What I mean, is that you have to 'drag' the bar all the way up the screen to the top for it to definitely close. If you only drag it up halfway up the screen, for instance, there is no 'inertia' that will continue moving it to the top. So the notification bar may decelerate and then sadly flop back down to the bottom in failure (unlike my Evo 4G where a drag 'flick' will shoot the bar all the way up or down). Oddly, dragging down is easier and doesn't require a full screen drag.

Thoughts?
Dude, factory reset, my epic runs so much better. Auto Brite on any phone I have owned is on auto. Love the radio and the speeds, love the reliability. After you reset it, and if you still desire "different" issues, then trade it in. From my inertial working notification panel, over and out! Ha ha!

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site

In no particular order:

Basically, when I set the brightness at a high level (let's say, for example, the highest setting) for using outdoors and open up the stock internet browser, it 'auto-dims' right after it opens up. This is even with the display brightness auto-setting and the 'auto adjust screen power' setting turned off. It doesn't happen with the other browser I have (skyfire), only the stock one. It's annoying because I like the stock browser but it's less usable outdoors because of this inexplicable auto dimming that happens. Maybe I don't understand your question, but on this phone there is a separate brightness setting for the phone and the browser. If you click on Settings while in the Browser there is a browser brightness setting and it is probably set on auto which is why it changes once you open the browser.

4. Lock screen lag

This is one of my biggest pet peeves about this phone. Gmail has always been deficient like this, but most stock email programs on HTC, Motorola and many others allow the end user to delect multiple emails at once. I get alot of emails and it is very cumbersome to click on one at a time to delete and then go back into the Trash folder and do it all over again.

I just started experiencing this. The last two times I tried to use Navigation it took over 5 minutes to get a lock and that was with full signal strength with GPS turned on. This needs to be fixed fast.

I agree with this as well. Mine fluctuates to extremes even within close range of my router. My Photon has no issues with WiFi or signal strength. One thing I will say is that the decibal strength on the signal meter is about the same for my E4GT and my Photon, even though the Photon shows full bars and the E4GT only 2 bars. I don't care how many signal bars light up as much as not getting dropped calls and poor call quality.

8. Poor WiMax reception?

Download Quick Settings from the Market. It is free and has a setting to keep the screen on. The only time the screen will go off is while on a call. (Another bad feature). If you are on a call either through bluetooth or speakerphone after some time the screen turns off. You have to hit the power button to get back to the dialer screen. This is really a problem when using it in a car dock through bluetooth. If you need to click more numbers to get a transfer while on a call you have to hit the power button first.

Thoughts?

I am also having problems streaming Slacker music. Almost every song cuts off about one minute in and skips to the next song. Every time this happens my signal meter goes from having bars to not having any. This is probably a Sprint network problem, but it does not happen with my Photon which is odd.

I have also had the phone turning the screen brightness down with an error message saying that the screen brightnees is turned down to keep the device from overheating. Hopefully this is something that can be fixed too.

EeZeEpEe

Jun 17, 2010
Visit site

2. Browser has it's own brightness setting. When in the browser press menu and tap browser brightness. That setting overrides the system setting.

10. I actually like this. I keep the phone in my pocket with the screen towards my leg so the speaker is out and less blocked. With this my EVO with CM7 could answer with my thigh sometimes. Sliding prevents this from happening.

11. Don't know why it doesn't work for you but I can flick my notification bar closed.

Last edited:

southpaw310

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I too am disturbed by the WIFI. I upgraded from an EPIC 4G, and as soon as I got home, my wife and I were sitting in the living room while I set it up. Wife's EVO 4G had 2 bars of wifi and solid signal. Old EPIC 4G had 1 bar of wifi and strong signal. Brand new E4GT had one bar, and intermittently cut out, killing all internet connectivity. Had to change positions around the room to get it back. I decided to keep it, but recently have discovered the same issue you mention above, that about after 30 minutes of WIFI use, it cuts out and I need to toggle WIFI to get connectivity back. Took it back to Sprint store, they hooked it into their router and said, "Nope, works great." Then the rep told me that "actually it may be that the phone is so advanced that it doesn't need to be that far away from the router." AYKM? I walked out.

voidcomp

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
I'd like to add a few more to the list. Overall I like the phone.

- notification bar does not work when phone is charging, when the battery is very low

- again, when charging, lock screen is difficult to swipe. Programs don't work well or at all.

- photographs are rendered upside down or sideways when sent via email (when shutter button is on left side or bottom)

- quick battery drain, latest discussions suggesting driver issues

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
If you hit menu and Delete at the main email screen, it allows you to check which emails to mass delete. You cannot, however, select all to delete.

The lock screen is awful since you really need two hands to use it well. Trying to unlock with just your thumb was awkward and required multiple swipes. And the security timeout period resetting itself every time you manually shut off the screen was very poor implementation. I've used Widgetlocker and App Protector to work around this. With App Protector, I can leave my camera and music program unsecured, so I can jump straight to them from my lock screen.

I initially didn't like the swipe to answer, but I've come to appreciate that I can no longer accidentally answer the phone while pulling it out of my pocket only to hang up by mistake attempting to answer manually. I haven't missed any calls on the E4GT -- I missed calls all the time on my Evo because of this. In general, I consider the E4GT phone app to be leaps and bounds better than the Sense version. Actually, I don't miss Sense one bit, especially the part where it would crash on me going back to the home screen.

Compared to my Evo, the wifi is the same, phone is much better, and Wimax actually works. I'm overall very happy with the radios on this phone.

I've never had an issue with GPS lock, but last week it freaked out a put me a street over from where I actually was, which caused the Navigation program to reroute me back to the street I was already on. I had to turn off Navigation and just go according to the map.

Last edited:

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site

Just hit the back button and it goes right back up

jfenton

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
I can't fathom how folks are having issues with the lock screen.

I use one hand, flick it maybe 3/4" and it's gone. It's the easiest unlock I have ever used by far.

What am I missing here????

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
It's not a flick but more like a swipe, and I just couldn't get enough range of motion in my thumb to drag it off the screen. If I flicked it, it would just stop and then snap back. That's when the obscenities came pouring forth.

PraetorianGuard

Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
First off I want to say that I don't own an actual E4GT, but still own a European SGS2. I figured the 2 units might be somewhat identical and if they are not then I am sorry if my post might offend someone or put people off as I merely intent to show the "difference" between what is is "more or less" the same phone, but just marketed for different markets.

Works fine on my SGS2

Again no problems with that on my SGS2

No LED on my SGS2, and that is a thing that annoys me since I have to constantly check if I have actually missed any calls or texts.

4. Lock screen lag

Again my lockscreen is super fast and smooth on my SGS2. So I am starting to believe that Samsung did a one up for the US model and "actually" made it worse.

Again mine locks pretty fast in Northern Europe and again for a SGS2. I might suspect as you yourself point out that cloud cover and perhaps buildings around you might have an effect. Simply because I have heard reports from people stating that going into Copenhagen or some of the other bigger cities here in Denmark will cause you to lose GPS signal either shortly or for longer durations across a number of phones.

Again no problems there on the European SGS2

Same on the SGS2. But when I use Waze for instance the screen never times out however. So it might be app dependant.

On the SGS2, its not a swipe but rather you pressing the "accept" "button" which is a square on your screen. The swiping call or reject buttons sounds like something off the LG O2x, which is specifically hated for the very reasons you listed.

Again, the Euro SGS2 has inertial dragging, both on opening and on closing.

dm3ready

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
A lot of great suggestions here...thanks for starting this thread.

For me the only issues....
#4 I hate the lock screen - I disabled it with 'No Lock' app...simple, perfect solution IMO
#7 I only have wi-fi issues in hotels...not at home.
#8 I agree!!!!! However, I don't use Wimax all that much. 3G speeds are sufficient for my needs.
#11 I also use the back button.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star