Unable to Data Roam Epic 4G Touch

mrcminnesota

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
I know this may sound crazy but I am not able to "data" roam. I get cell phone coverage in a roaming area but the notification bar just states "lost data connectivity." It never roams. I noticed this originally when I was at work (I always have roamed in this building with my HTC Hero). I have no data connection with this phone. I also had issues with the WiFi not connecting and I exchanged for a new phone.

I did not have the chance to go back to that building to validate roaming but went to Western Wisconsin over the weekend and again "did not data roam." I roamed in this area with my HTC Hero so I know I should get data service. Again, I could make calls. So, I took that phone to a Sprint Store and the technician ran tests and found there was an issue between the WiFi and 4G connection (I had also not been able to connect to 4G but I had nothing to compare as I never connected to 4G with the first phone). He thought maybe this had something to do with no roaming. He said this was not a software issue but a component and said the phone was defective. I was not about to take the chance of a "refurbished" phone so went back to the original store and exchanged it.

So, again, I am able to validate if the phone will "data" roam in the building - no such luck. Again, I am able to make a call but "no data" roam. All it states is lost data connectivity. I was able to "one" time get a 4G connection in the parking lot of the store, the WiFi works (signal is not very good but I have read this is an issue), and the 3G speeds are not horrendous (I have gotten over 1100 kbps - not all the time but...).

Before anyone asks, "yes" I have set up the domestic roaming, I even followed the steps by someone in a Sprint forum that found one needed to do data first then voice, etc. I have never gotten a notification to "accept" data roaming when going into an area to roam - just the lost data connectivity message. I have done both soft and hard resets to see if this would fix the issue. The Roaming Guard is off for domestic.

I have read in other discussions that Samsung phones have a history of poor roaming because of towers (or something). Is there any where to validate this? I did speak with Sprint Technicians today (on the phone) and neither one could tell me or validate. The first technician even said "why would I want to roam?" I explained that I preferred not to roam but I want to be able to access data if I am in a roaming area - that is why I have smartphone.

I checked into the Market for Roam Control but it does not appear the latest version works with an "unrooted" Epic 4G Touch - and I am not going to root a new phone just to get roaming.

So, if anyone has suggestions please provide. I know this was a long story but not sure how much I could have shortened it. Thanks

Last edited:

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Its not Sprint its the phone..There is a widespread issue with the SGS2..It just doesn't work well with data due to the shabby antennas.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Its not Sprint its the phone..There is a widespread issue with the SGS2..It just doesn't work well with data due to the shabby antennas.
dg just about every one of your post is signal sucs, don't you have anything better to do?.
Why don't you dump the thing go Photon let the hate go come back when issue your having is fixed.
Or better yet take the hate to Sprint community light up LOS thread get Sprints attention.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
dg just about every one of your post is signal sucs, don't you have anything better to do?.
Why don't you dump the thing go Photon let the hate go come back when issue your having is fixed.
Or better yet take the hate to Sprint community light up LOS thread get Sprints attention.

Im already on it.. I just have a different username.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I think DG is just very disappointed - many of us are - and it comes out as frustration (or some may read it as hate). I have been waiting for this phone for 6 mos, and now I can't stand that I have to take it back...but back it goes. I mean, I can't get a phone call/make one without either me or the other person going, "What?" Antenna.

I just hope we don't all turn on each other out of frustration with Samsung's irresponsibility - it's okay to vent on this forum, I think...given the circumstances. O:)

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
I think DG is just very disappointed - many of us are - and it comes out as frustration (or some may read it as hate). I have been waiting for this phone for 6 mos, and now I can't stand that I have to take it back...but back it goes. I mean, I can't get a phone call/make one without either me or the other person going, "What?" Antenna.

I just hope we don't all turn on each other out of frustration with Samsung's irresponsibility - it's okay to vent on this forum, I think...given the circumstances. O:)

Well said my friend..I have been waiting long for this as well!!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I feel for you guys. I really hope Sprint and or Samsung get this figured out. You'd think after the issues with the Nexus S 4G they would have had the Sprint CDMA thing figured out by now. Apparently not. It's frustrating for me too because I'm having such a great experience with my phone. While I don't have 4G where I live, no matter where I go I get voice and data coverage between functional and excellent and everywhere in between. It just doesn't make any sense.

Ah well, hopefully they get the problem resolved and those of you who really want this phone, but had to return it due to the signal issues, can buy it again.

:'(

Reactions: Slingbox

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I feel for you guys. I really hope Sprint and or Samsung get this figured out. You'd think after the issues with the Nexus S 4G they would have had the Sprint CDMA thing figured out by now. Apparently not. It's frustrating for me too because I'm having such a great experience with my phone. While I don't have 4G where I live, no matter where I go I get voice and data coverage between functional and excellent and everywhere in between. It just doesn't make any sense.

Ah well, hopefully they get the problem resolved and those of you who really want this phone, but had to return it due to the signal issues, can buy it again.

:'(
+1

10char

mrcminnesota

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Update - I suddenly started data roaming today (my only test for roaming was a building at work). I truly have not lost any phone calls (that I am aware of) - I am hoping the roaming continues to work and the maintenance release fixes the signal quality. I truly do enjoy this phone

Epsom_D2

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to bump this one as I still cannot get mine to Data Roam. Phone calls over roaming work fine, but no data, just that little triangle warning message. Has anyone got any ideas as this is a deal breaker when coming from my OG EVO?

mrcminnesota

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Update - apparently I am not able to roam again. I also just get the little triangle warning message (data connectivity lost).:'(

So, any one have a suggestion??? Thanks

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Take a look at Milo's thread on improving data speeds on the Sprint G2S. I changed the server names and port settings the way he suggested and my data roaming works. I don't know if it worked before I made the changes because I never tried it.

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I rooted my ET4G and have roam control and I don't have data while roaming either. It is a Samsung problem or Sprint is not providing data roaming anymore because of the cost.

Epsom_D2

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
As I can see from the XDA forums it appears that it is a Samsung problem that their radios cannot roam on the PCS band. As a result I ordered my return kit today, back to the OG EVO until something more compelling that is fully functional is released. Stinks too as I really like the phone otherwise.

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
It appears to me that I don't get data when roaming either, although I haven't really spent much time double checking or trying to figure out why. But I did come across this thread in the Sprint forum:

Sprint Community: Roaming Data quirk - and work around....

This person says that there's a bug and you have to check the "Data" box in the Roaming settings first for it to work. I don't have any way to check that currently, but I'll try it when I get a chance.

locationman52

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
I know that it is at least possible. I used data roaming most of this past weekend. In the past, I have seen areas where data roaming did not work, but I think that is a reginal thing depending on whose which towers you're roaming on.

hawaiijedi

Jun 18, 2010
Visit site
I am able to data roam all the time while at work and I don't use the rome control cuz my phone is not rooted. I did have to check the roam data box first in roam settings.

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
Just a quick follow-up on my previous post. I checked the advice from the Sprint forum on my phone and it appears to work ... I was able to access data while roaming where I never could before. If you already have "voice" and "data" turned on you should un-check them and then check "data" first. It will ask if you really want to allow data roaming and then also turn on "voice" for you. Then the first time you access data you'll get another pop-up to make sure it's OK (and at that point you can tell it not to ask anymore).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar