Did they say anything about EVDO RevB in today's announcement?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I am suffering from really poor 3g reception and some bad signal zones where I live. I was hoping EVDO RevB would come to the rescue, but didnt read anything about it in today's sprint announcement. Is it actually even happening? Is Sprint going to do anything immediately to help the traffic congestion and poor 3g speeds on their network?

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Re: Did they say anything about EVDO RevB in today's announcement

I am now afraid the evdo rev b is not coming our way at all. It hurts using those 300kbps speeds on their current network in my area on this device. But if a good signal and penetration is all they are offering, about how long will it be before we start seeing these improvements? This week, month, or few months of wait is still there?

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

Uh not specifically but yeah. Look at this slide . All the chipsets say rev B on them.
6a61344b-df21-490d-a126-f033da85cbd5.jpg

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

None of those chipsets are in our phone. Samsung put the QSC6085 in this phone, which does not support EVDO Rev. B.

Taylor, Rev. B is indeed likely NOT coming to Sprint, regardless of the chip in the phone. I posted this awhile back, but this was a response from a Sprint representative on their support forums ...

Official Sprint Answer:
Sprint is committed to delivering the highest quality network experience. Our Network Vision plan will improve your network experience, but it does not include any EVDO Rev B launch. Sprint has evaluated EVDO Rev B and chosen to go directly to 4G connections. Since we are not launching EVDO Rev B, none of our handsets supports EVDO Rev B.

Thank you for your interest in our Network and Chipset Technologies!

Source: Sprint Community: EVDO Rev B

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
None of those chipsets are in our phone. Samsung put the QSC6085 in this phone, which does not support EVDO Rev. B.

Taylor, Rev. B is indeed likely NOT coming to Sprint, regardless of the chip in the phone. I posted this awhile back, but this was a response from a Sprint representative on their support forums ...

Source: Sprint Community: EVDO Rev B

I agree with you that rev b isn't coming to THIS phone but according to their slide there all of the chips in future phones will have rev b support. I don't know what that means though. Are they planning on moving toward rev b or are all qualcomm chips supporting it regardless?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I agree with you that rev b isn't coming to THIS phone but according to their slide there all of the chips in future phones will have rev b support. I don't know what that means though. Are they planning on moving toward rev b or are all qualcomm chips supporting it regardless?

Many Qualcomm chips in existing phones on Sprint support Rev. B, but it doesn't really mean anything. It just means the manufacturer chose that particular chip in the design, and it happened to support it. The E4GT coming with a chip that does not support it was fairly strong evidence that Rev. B wasn't coming.

Once 4G comes into its own, 3G will become a dinosaur and protocol revisions won't matter anyways.

Bottom line ...

1) Our phone should see 3G improvements on Sprint over the next year and beyond, even without Rev. B.

2) WiMax is dead. If you don't already have it in your area you won't get it.

3) LTE is on the way and by the time it's built out appropriately you'll be looking at buying a new phone that supports LTE anyways.

In the meantime, I'm going to enjoy a GREAT device that I'm lucky enough to get good voice and data signals and reasonable data speeds.

Reactions: Coop1979

chuckz28

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site

I wouldn't expect rev b but I wouldn't completely write if off either. They said they will support the 3 g network and this is from the sprint site as well. 3G Network Improvement: Sprint expects an improvement in customers? 3G network experience, including expanded coverage, improved network reliability, better voice quality, and faster 3G data speeds. Based on forecasts of data demand, Sprint is confident its 3G network will meet customers? growing data demands.

I'm not sure how they will claim faster speeds while continuing to use only rev a. They also stated they they will use the "newest advanced lte" while not exactly "LTE advanced" it could be a hint. They stated the networks will be upgradeable with a card swap and software so it sounds like at least it will be a quick inexpensive move to jump from LTE to LTE advanced or rev a to rev b.