Any Way To Prevent Music Player Autostarting With Bluetooth?

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
This was a problem with my EVO, especially with WinAmp and Listen having no option to ignore BT headset controls, so they'd automatically launch and start playing whenever my Sync system was detected. (I DESPISE any app which presumes it knows what's best for me and just does what it wants to be "helpful" w/o given a means to turn it off.)

Well, I wanted to listen to some podcasts with Pocket Casts and the moment I switched to Bluetooth, it started the Music app and playing ringtones I'd copied over. I can't see anywhere in the app or in the phone's BT settings to disable it. I Googled and found a TWO-YEARS RUNNING thread on the Android Bug Tracking site complaining about this issue on just about every phone. Someone suggested using an app called Headset Blocker, but it appears that when I receive a phone call, it doesn't stop Pocket Casts, so I've got to hunt around for where I'd left off.

If I wanted my hardware and software to boss how I use my phone around, I would've bought an Apple product. Any ideas on how to stop this. I'm not quite ready to root yet. Thanks.

taylormah

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
+1 for this question. Looking for the answer to this too. Whenever I connect my A2DP headset to epic, default music player fires up and starts playing. Really hate having to go to task manager every time and exit it.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
I ran into the same problem when syncing with a Bluetooth car once (rental, mine doesn't have it) and it would start my music player every time I would end a call. Very annoying, hopefully ICS will fix this finally.

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok this is coming from a, newbie, do check it out first.

I found 2 settings, one in Podcast under settings. There is a check off box labeled 'respond to headset'.

Then there is a setting in the phones settings under 'Voice Input & Output' go to 'Voice Recognition settings' then there are 2 settings to try. One is 'Listen over Bluetooth' the next which is below that called ' Auto Start Listening'.

Also look under the text to speech settings.

Rob

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

ZATZAi

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
I have the same problem with PlayerPro, except it has an option to NOT start auto playing when a BT headset is connected. I have ot set to off but it still starts playing anyway. I am still messing with the settings to see if I can preevent this. However I see a lot of complaining about this problem on the official SyncMyRide forums about this, even with the latest Sync update. Problems not juat with Androids but iPhones as well...

It worked fine on my old Pre- but then on WebOS you had to be actively using the music app for BT commands to do anything. With Android and iOS it seems, it takes commands whether the music app is running or not, launching the app as needed.

I still have to test it with my Sony BT headphones but I am beginning to fear it may be a problem not with the phone but with Sync itself. Specifically that Sync is connecting to the phone automatically, like it's supposed to, but then also sending a "play" command after connecting.

I still plan to do more testing though, but if anyone figures it out please say so...

wburbage

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem but it's only recently started to do that. A couple thoughts... in Sync there's a setting for autoplay. I don't recall where it is exactly but I know it's there somewhere. The second one is rooting the phone and uninstalling the preinstalled music app. I do like that one since it has a lockscreen widget but I'd be willing to give that up and not deal with the bluetooth issue.

wburbage

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem but it's only recently started to do that. A couple thoughts... in Sync there's a setting for autoplay. I don't recall where it is exactly but I know it's there somewhere. The second one is rooting the phone and uninstalling the preinstalled music app. I do like that one since it has a lockscreen widget but I'd be willing to give that up and not deal with the bluetooth issue.

I turned off the Autoplay feature in sync and it still automatically starts the Music app. If there's ever a reason to root my phone this may be it.

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
This is a pain in the ass with my Ford Focus Sync system. I'm getting sick and tired of getting out of the car and having my phone start playing music, then only to have to kill the player because there is no stop button, because it doesn't think you ever hit play.

wotan

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I think this is a combination android and sync issue.

I use a 3rd party bluetooth adapter in my car and it does not autoplay music when it connects.

In fact, I use tasker to make it autostart playing a BeyondPod feed when it connects and it works great. Except... As soon as I push the play/pause button on my bluetooth controls it stops the podcast and starts playing music (whether the music app is open or not). VERY annoying!! Maybe if we just remove the music app and add a 3rd party one it will solve the problem. Is it possible to uninstall this?

LS14EVR

Sep 16, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if it's possible to remove or not. I may have to try that. I have noticed that since my ipod has been connected to sync, it is no longer searching for bluetooth audio and auto connecting and turning on the music on phone. I guess until my ipod dies, I'm not all that concerned.

wburbage

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone figured this out? Not only is this happening when I start the car or press the control buttons but now I notice it happening when I hit the button to end calls. It was originally happening with the stock Sammy music app but now it's also happening with Google Music, which I actually use.

Aside from Tasker are there any other apps that will limit what apps can use bluetooth? That way I can select Doggcatcher and Google Music. Oh wait, Google music is one of the apps that pops up when I don't want it. THIS IS SO ANNOYING!

Meltedwire

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Yes, this happens all the time on both my Nexus S 4G (2.3.7), and my Transformer (3.2.1). I use a Plantronics Voyager Pro+, a Backbeat and a Moto S305. So this occurs on Gingerbread's latest, and Honeycomb's latest, Asus, and Samsung, with three different headsets. It is the worst with the Pro+ because it supports 2 devices. Does anyone know how to at least uninstall the music app?

Lummox_ICT

Aug 3, 2012
Visit site
Found this on another thread:

1. Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Bluetooth Settings
2. Hold your finger over the bluetooth device that's causing the issue for a couple of seconds
3. Hit options in the pop-up menu
4. De-select the Media checkbox.

amshan

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
Would turning off media in order to prevent music autoplay also turn off audiobooks? I don't want autoplay anything but want to listen to books. My current routine is turn on bt listening, wait for music to start, pause it, open audible, tap play for current book. Inevitably the listening volume for books in way louder than music so BLAST of autoplay music, always the same song -- I have to manually forward the selection just to break up the monotony of the audio assault!

mrtim63

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Found this on another thread:

1. Go to Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> Bluetooth Settings
2. Hold your finger over the bluetooth device that's causing the issue for a couple of seconds
3. Hit options in the pop-up menu
4. De-select the Media checkbox.

That's great if you no longer want to listen to other apps like Audible, iHeartRadio, ect. I want to use media on bluetooth just not everytime I enter and exit my car. And I almost never want the stock music player starting up.

TwinkleFingers

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
Ditto here! I use BeyondPod to listen to podcasts and NEVER want it to automatically start playing music (least of all when I hit the button to stop the podcast)

I currently have a Galaxy SIII and just got a Motorola BT speaker for the car and it works great except for this (stupid, imo) problem

marcm

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Add me to this list. I have a Galaxy S3 and it auto starts my music player every time I start my truck (2013 Tacoma). Very annoying. Also, none of the info data from the podcast players (e.g. Doggcatcher, Pocket Casts) show up on my truck's audio display. While listening to a podcast, it either shows "No data" or it will show song from Play Music.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon