E4G will not resume 3G data connection once WiFi is absent.

lbnyrob

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Hey!
I looked around the forums but did not uncover a similar post.

At home and in parts of my community I can rely on WiFi for data but lately it seems that when I move out of areas in which I have Wi-Fi access my phone will not regain any Sprint-based 3G or 4G data connections. As such I cannot utilize any web based services and do not get certain data.

When I manually turn off the WiFi option from the settings, 3G will still not be activated.

When I shut down the phone and then restart it, I will regain 3G. The last two times, I went into the settings, unchecked and then rechecked 3G under Network options and 3G connectivity returned.

I have to think that the switching between WiFi access when available and back to 3G (and 4G?) when the WiFi access is gone should not require a manul response from me.

I'm fairly new to the Android family, coming from a Palm Pre original.

Am I missing something here or is there a problem that I should be aware of?

Thank you!
Rob

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
You've got a problem somewhere. 3G should kick in immediately after you lose a wifi signal. I'd contact Sprint and have them re-provision your phone. You could try a factory reset before that though.

Reactions: lbnyrob

lbnyrob

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Am I correct in assuming that a "factory reset" is a "hard reset" and that all of my data, contacts, page set-ups and downloads will be erased?

Eric16

Jun 6, 2010
Visit site
I am ALWAYS on wifi at home and when I am always turn my mobile network/3g off. When I leave the house I never have my mobile network on when I need the net for something I will just hit my mobile network widget and boom its on. Try downloading data enabler widget as touchwiz doesnt have a widget for mobile network. Some say leaving your mobile network/3g on while on wifi uses more battery idk if thats true but I still turn it off. Maybe there is something in the phone once you turn it off it starts the mobile network back up

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Am I correct in assuming that a "factory reset" is a "hard reset" and that all of my data, contacts, page set-ups and downloads will be erased?

That is correct, your phone will be brought back to the way it was out of the box.

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

lbnyrob

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
No.
When I turn off Wifi and wait, 3G does not pop up and I continue to receive messages from apps that there is no data connection.

YBCold

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
No.
When I turn off Wifi and wait, 3G does not pop up and I continue to receive messages from apps that there is no data connection.

Id try the factory reset then and make sure you wait a day or two between reinstalling apps to see if one of them may be the problem.

If that doesn't work then try an exchange.

Best of luck, let us know how it turns out.

Sent from my GS2 E4GT using Tapatalk!

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Ok this might be stupid, but did you try checking off, to use 3G on the Mobile Networks settings. Which is under the Wireless settings bottom of the list?

Rob

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

rexalbel

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
Hey!
I looked around the forums but did not uncover a similar post.

At home and in parts of my community I can rely on WiFi for data but lately it seems that when I move out of areas in which I have Wi-Fi access my phone will not regain any Sprint-based 3G or 4G data connections. As such I cannot utilize any web based services and do not get certain data.

When I manually turn off the WiFi option from the settings, 3G will still not be activated.

When I shut down the phone and then restart it, I will regain 3G. The last two times, I went into the settings, unchecked and then rechecked 3G under Network options and 3G connectivity returned.

I have to think that the switching between WiFi access when available and back to 3G (and 4G?) when the WiFi access is gone should not require a manul response from me.

I'm fairly new to the Android family, coming from a Palm Pre original.

Am I missing something here or is there a problem that I should be aware of?

Thank you!
Rob

I also am having this problem and I am also fairly new to Android phones. I also came from a palm pre and windows another problem I have is instead of voicemail going to my visual voicemail app, it goes to my SMS app...

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I also am having this problem and I am also fairly new to Android phones. I also came from a palm pre and windows another problem I have is instead of voicemail going to my visual voicemail app, it goes to my SMS app...

I don't know what to say about the 3G issue. It should be auto-reconnecting when wifi drops out. You may want to try going into your settings and update your profile. If it doesn't resolve itself call Sprint technical support.

Regarding getting texts for your voicemails, do you have a 3rd party SMS app like Go SMS Pro or Handcent installed? I'll need to know this before I can help further.

rocker22dallas

Nov 13, 2011
Visit site
Upgrade your prl, and reset your profile (settings>about phone>update). Should help. If you are rooted, install a new modem via either cwm or Odin.
I am running the latest FC05 modem on my s2.

Sent from my Galaxy S II epic 4g touch. longest phone name in the world

JohnBS

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I had this same problem as well as flat out LOS of the 3G; intermittant and sometimes the 3G would be out for the entire afternoon. It was never the same, but I did notice that when WIFI was disconected, the 3G vanished as well; or if the hotspot was turned off, the 3G vanished. It seemed that if anything was changed at all, 3G took a hike.

I put a IPHONE 4S and HTC EVO 4G shift side by side to the GS2, and the others has excellent 3G; but the Samsung was dead in the water. I went through the entire "support" thing, and here's what the Samsung LIVE CHAT stated; (BTW, I would love to know how to alter the GS2 to have excellent 3G support).

"Please wait for a Samsung Agent to respond.

You are now chatting with 'Charlie '. There will be a brief survey at the end of our chat to share feedback on my performance today.

Your Issue ID for this chat is LTK5640788320X

Charlie : Hi, thank you for contacting Samsung Technical Support. How may I help you today?

Visitor: I had a Samsung Galaxy EPIC 4G touch for Sprint. I had horrible reception and LOS (3 G vanished). I then used my other Sprint phones, a HTC EVO 4G Shift and IPHONE 4S side by side the Galaxy EPIC and all but the Samsung got 3G reception. I returned the phone... got a new one, no change. I did the TECH support SOFTWARE updates and the ## phone thing, NO CHANGE. I have until tomorrow to exchange BACK to the Samsung EPIC if I want to... and I was wonder ing if there is any fix to this LOS thing. I returned the phone within 14 days for the IPHONE perfect 3g. Is there a fix for the Samsung?

Charlie : Please allow me to go through the inquiry.

Visitor: History:
Visitor: 1. bought the EPIC for SPRINT. 2. PROBLEMS with 3G vanishing in an area where SPRINT always had 3G. 3. Tested phone, problems compared to other SPRINT phones; same location. 4. Returned phone for a new one; no change. 5. Worked with Sprint tech to ensure software and the phone was up to date; all done. No change with LOS and the 3G dropping. 6. I loved the phone but no 3G caused me to return it. I now have until tomorrow to get it again if I want. Is there any fix for the weak and los of 3G?

Charlie : I understand that you are having issue with the 3G signals on the device. Is it correct?

Visitor: All this is well documented on the various web forums. All say Samsung is pointing to Sprint, and Sprint points to samsung. I called samsung, who said that the issue was listed as resolved with the DEC update; which by the web interaction is not correct. YES.. the 3G was gone. It would come back momentarily, then vanish. HOT SPOT would come in and out. There were always 2 to 4 bars of reception during all this. I made screen saves for the technicians at Sprint. No ability to fix.

Visitor: The HTC Epic 4G Shift and the IPHONE 4S have no issues with the 3G where I am. Is it an antenna problem with the SAMSUNG EPIC 4G?

Charlie : Thank you for the information.

Visitor: I just want to be sure that if I get the Samsung Galaxy, it will be able to have 3g or a fix on the way. IS A FIX on the way? Are they really working on it? Is the antenna weak as many suggest?

Charlie : I am sorry to inform that there are no known issue in the device. The device does not have any antenna issue. I am sorry to inform that there are no available update for the device. I am sorry to inform that we do not have the information on the ongoing updates for the device.

Visitor: I don't understand. The forums are terming this drop in 3G as a "LOS BUG". It's very prevalent on the forums that others are having the same issues I am. I see messages from 2011 to date. Why isn't Samsung acknowling this? Can you explain why everyone is listing this problem (and that they've contacted Samsung) yet it's not known by Samsung?

Charlie : I will be right with you.

Visitor: thank you

Charlie : I do understand your concern. However there are no known issue with the device. However let try isolating the issue by performing a factory reset on the device. It should fix any issue with the device software. It will delete the data in the device memory.

Visitor: I'd like to get the phone, but with all the web talk of the same issues I'm having, and Samsung not acknowledging it after many have already said they've contacted Samsung, I'm worried about buying a Samsung product under those circumstances; especially since I have experienced these same issues first hand. "The problem doesn't exist" hurts my trust in Samsung. Many have said that Samsung told them to reset the device (and thus your suggestion gives their response credit, and that Samsung has been notified of the problem). They also said that it didn't work. The LOS BUG still remained. but.... since you have stated "there's no signal problem and no fix is apparent", my questions is answered. I was hoping Samsung would address the outcry on such a wonderful phone. Do a GOOGLE search on Samsung Galaxy S2 EPIC 4G Touch LOS and you will get an exhaustive report of this problem.

Visitor: Is there anything more other than RESET the phone? (It did not work)

Charlie : I am sorry to inform that there is no other way other than the reset on the device it will isolate the issue is with device or not
Visitor: Thank you. This problem has not been resolved. I can say that because the IPHONE 4S and the HTC EVO 4G Shift had no problems with 3G on the same carrier (Sprint); the Galaxy S II has a reception problem and most probably an antenna issue. This issue is well documented on the Internet. Samsung is ignoring it. This is very sad. I know first hand that the issue expressed on the Internet is real as I have experienced it as well. Can you formally introduce this issue to Samsung for me by doing some Internet Research on LOSS OF CARRIER/LOSS OF DATA SIGNAL for this phone? I would appreciate it."

-----------------
So that's the rub. I might still try it out. I'd be interested knowing how to ROOT and all that so I can get the phone and have 3G service too. What is the best resource to get things accomplished with the 3G LOS problem?

Thank you.