Trading my Epic Touch 4g for an iPhone 4S, possibly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

efoss

May 13, 2011
Visit site
This post contradicts your whole first lost. Are you switching because Apple is an American company or because the iPhone seems smoother. Don't be afraid to just admit you might like the iPhone. No need to come up wih Lame excuses.

Listen here motha, I'm the original dark lord, you're like the sorcerers apprentice, all the sh*t that you did, i'm the mother f'er who invented it, lol

J/K

Anyway, no, I did contradict myself. The first were merely reflections on my thoughts of Apple. I feel bad because I have failed to realize how solid of a company they are, and indeed, American (made in China, lol) but American engineered nonetheless!

Now, as for warm, fuzzy, and all of that bull sh*t, the final line WILL be functionality. I will give it a run, and if it makes my business more profitable, then I will toss the tablet for iPad as well. You can't argue with the quality of apps in the apple market, and let's face it, we root our phones on Android, and you can root an iPhone too! So if it doesn't do something I want, I'll make it do what I want, mothalicka!!

Lol

handsomeprince#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Listen here motha, I'm the original dark lord, you're like the sorcerers apprentice, all the sh*t that you did, i'm the mother f'er who invented it, lol

J/K

Anyway, no, I did contradict myself. The first were merely reflections on my thoughts of Apple. I feel bad because I have failed to realize how solid of a company they are, and indeed, American (made in China, lol) but American engineered nonetheless!
Now, as for warm, fuzzy, and all of that bull sh*t, the final line WILL be functionality. I will give it a run, and if it makes my business more profitable, then I will toss the tablet for iPad as well. You can't argue with the quality of apps in the apple market, and let's face it, we root our phones on Android, and you can root an iPhone too! So if it doesn't do something I want, I'll make it do what I want, mothalicka!!

Lol
Listen; this is my beef with BLIND patriotism. Truly being patriotic means seeking and gaining knowledge based on hard facts and evidence...not assumptions, not what's told by others and not by self theorizing. So you're happy that it's "American engineered"...what do you mean by that? Just because Apple was founded in America and is headquartered in America? I love how you're just throwing "American engineered" out there...explaining something is different from proving something.

People support American made products because of the amount of jobs based on American SOIL that contributed to making the final product/service...and the amount of jobs in America that go towards making the iPhone PALE in comparison to the amount of jobs Apple creates for people OUTSIDE of America to make the iPhone.

Your logic is self serving and flawed.

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site

Slight Wall of Text Warning. TLDR summary: I need to know why the battery on the E4GT is so crappy. If I can't find a fix, than I, too, will be going to the iPhone 4S.

I'm in the same boat as the OP; I bought an E4GT the Saturday before the iPhone announcement. I knew the announcement was coming, but I wanted to try out the E4GT for 2 weeks before making a decision either way. I can say now that I am on the verge of switching, thanks to the HORRID battery life I get with this thing. That hang-up alone will send me packing from Android Town.

It's so confusing, too, since almost every review I've read says the battery life on the E4GT is stellar, but in my case, it's anything but. With minimal app installs or widgets, no 4G at all and minimal use overall, the battery would run itself dry in about 8-10 hours. I don't know about you, but I would actually like to use my phone and have it last more than a work day, so I can get home to put it on the charger for the night. Keep in mind, this is with very minimal use; no games, no 4G, no picture taking, not a lot of web surfing, and push emails. Even with the advanced battery saving technology in this thing, it just seems to do what it wants when the screen is off and drain the battery for apparently no reason at all.

Which is part of the reason why I would want to move to iOS5 and the iPhone 4S. I've read many forums, especially ones here, that detail very specific things you can do to increase battery life, but many of the steps involve either going into menus and turning off things until you need them (GPS, WiFi, 4G) or simply not using the phone. If I wanted a paperweight with a 4.5" screen, I would keep my deactivated EVO (which, funny enough, had better battery life for me than the E4GT). As far as I know from using other iOS devices (iPad2 and iPod Touch, 3rd Gen), when the device's screen is off, other than a few email pushs and other network access, it uses very little power, especially the iPad2. Granted, it's WiFi only, but WiFi is on ALL the time, and when it doesn't find a signal, it simply goes to sleep until I get a trusted connection, thus saving the battery. I can go DAYS without charging the iPad2, while still doing stuff like play games, surf the web, get emails and the like. If the iPhone 4S has similar longevity, consider me sold.

I've used PCs most of my life, and I consider Android phones to be the mobile equivalent. I like to be able to have access to the OS in order to get the most I can out of a device, but in the case of Android, it's that very thing that causes many more problems than should exist in a mobile device. You have all these great tools in the E4GT, but if you can't use them for more than 6-8 hours before having to bring out the charger, then why even have them at all? It's just a tease to me.

Before I jump ship, however, I want to give this one last chance. Does anyone out there have any advice to increase the longevity of the E4GT? All I want to be able to do is have push email for my Gmail and Exchange (I need fast access to email, due to my job), be able to play a game or two on the train to/from work, and put the thing in my pocket and not have it lose 10% power/hr while seemingly doing absolutely nothing.

Thank you for your time.

Evo batt life better than sgs2 "Boomer Voice" Come On Mannn! Lol I couldn't even finish this post!

efoss

May 13, 2011
Visit site
Listen; this is my beef with BLIND patriotism. Truly being patriotic means seeking and gaining knowledge based on hard facts and evidence...not assumptions, not what's told by others and not by self theorizing. So you're happy that it's "American engineered"...what do you mean by that? Just because Apple was founded in America and is headquartered in America? I love how you're just throwing "American engineered" out there...explaining something is different from proving something.

People support American made products because of the amount of jobs based on American SOIL that contributed to making the final product/service...and the amount of jobs in America that go towards making the iPhone PALE in comparison to the amount of jobs Apple creates for people OUTSIDE of America to make the iPhone.

Your logic is self serving and flawed.

So if My logic is self-serving, and that is a carnal sin, to whom should my logic serve other than myself?

You see, there is more to my madness than just this post, however, I did not want to write a book. This is just one little teeny tiny aspect of what I was trying to accomplish. One thing that I was really looking at more than anything, is QUALITY. Frankly, my Evo 4g, my Epic 4G, my Evo 3D, my Samsung Epic Touch 4G, these phones have all failed to be better than the iPhone 4! These are 4 diff phones with way more power than the iPhone 4, and yet the 4 with it's 800 Mhz processor still puts a beating on all of the above!

Guys, you're talkin to a die hard Android fan. I have rooted all of the above, not to mention my Motorola Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1, and yet none of these products can run as smooth as the Apple equivalent. I have thrown a lot of money at Android, and you see, I'm finally unsatisfied with the quality of the apps, functionality,etc.

In close, I'm sorry guys! But, I think I'm ready to be stupid with my technology, lol, as if I haven't given Android a fair run!?

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
..."Apple is an American company!" This phone and computer and tablet that I have been so ridiculously biased towards, is a true red white and blue American company!...

Apple has never, ever made a single phone or tablet. The Foxconn iPhone's and Foxconn iPads are made in a labor camp in Asia. Foxcoon also does much of the design engineering.

17 People have committed suicide working in that iPhone labor camp. They live in a compound surrounded by armed guards and barbed wire. They can't leave. They "work" for pennies an hour and often end up owning Foxconn more than they can make.

It takes about 30 minutes of labor from materials to packaging to make a phone. By making it in a labor camp the labor cost a few cents. If a phone were made in "a true red white and blue American company", it would increase the cost by about $5 for a phone.

Motorola was the last company who made phones in the US in a plant near Harvard, IL. We would not pay the $5 extra it cost to be made at "a true red white and blue American company" so it closed.

Foxconn is not "a true red white and blue American company" any more than Samsung is. I am not defending any of the companies that make our electronic toys but none of them are American.

Last edited:

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Apple has never, ever made a single phone or tablet. The Foxconn iPhone's and Foxconn iPads are made in a labor camp in Asia.

17 People have committed suicide working in that iPhone labor camp. They live in a compound surrounded by armed guards and barbed wire. They can't leave. They "work" for pennies an hour and often end up owning Foxconn more than they can make.

It takes about 30 minutes of labor from materials to packaging to make a phone. By making it in a labor camp the labor cost a few cents. If a phone were made in "a true red white and blue American company", it would increase the cost by about $5 for a phone.

Motorola was the last company who made phones in the US in a plant near Harvard, IL. We would not pay the $5 extra it cost to be made at "a true red white and blue American company" so it closed.

Foxconn is not "a true red white and blue American company" any more than Samsung is. I am not defending any of the companies that make our electronic toys but none of them are American.

Co worker's hubby goes to china/japan for work several times a year and he says they are waaayyy more advanced than we are. We just have to face it that we are way behind in tech.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I think that iynis interesting that all of these Android fans on Sprint are jumping ship as soon as the iPhone comes. I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of disappointed former Android users. We will certainly find out soon.

sent from my EPIC TOUCH 4G, GALAXY SII

the gator

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Apple has never, ever made a single phone or tablet. The Foxconn iPhone's and Foxconn iPads are made in a labor camp in Asia. Foxcoon also does much of the design engineering.

Foxconn is not "a true red white and blue American company" any more than Samsung is. I am not defending any of the companies that make our electronic toys but none of them are American.[/QUOquotes TE]

All above well said, iphone is a good phone if you do not want to do much with it unless you jail break it, I am new to android and love it coming from webos.

efoss

May 13, 2011
Visit site
I think that iynis interesting that all of these Android fans on Sprint are jumping ship as soon as the iPhone comes. I have a feeling that there are going to be a lot of disappointed former Android users. We will certainly find out soon.

sent from my EPIC TOUCH 4G, GALAXY SII

LAUGH.... OUT......LOUUUUDDDDDD!!!!!!!!!!!! (short hand: L...O...LLLLLLLLL!!!!)

Ok. Ok. Wait a beat! I'm having so much fun with this topic! What no one fails to get, is that, I have been SOOOOO hateful towards Apple over the years. I mean, ever since 1997 or 98 whenever Job's resurrected Apple, I was Pro Microsoft, SUPER DUPER EXTRA ANTI-APPLE!!!! And so when the iPhone came out, I did not jump on the Apple bandwagon; they were the enemy in my book! Up until recently, that was the case. What intrigued me about Apple, was Jobs. I study successful people, because in my own success, I like to learn from those who have been there, who have built something from nothing, and who have made it. Steve Jobs, whether I like him, or not, is a respectable businessman, entrepreneur, visioneer, innovator, reinnovator, and so on...... I began to have a ton of respect for the man.

My animosity toward Apple grew into a curiosity. As I dug deeper into Apple, deeper in to Jobs, Mac, iOs, I began to see something beautiful in it all. Now, for this post here, this is totally the wrong place to be posting this. Android forums have been my home for the last several years, and I have written many articles and threads on different topics, and have even participated in some discussion that led to better things. No, I am not a developer, nor have I ever developed anything, but I have sparked interest in areas where none existed.

Android. - Android is an amazing step child to IOS. We all know that had it not been for IOS, then we would not have the bastard child Android. However, I think that this bastard child has grown into something superior. I bought an iPad2 yesterday, and so far, I like it, I really do. I am actually sad that I like it, BUT, I still think that Android is superior in many ways. Android is much more complex in my opinion, open, free, and growing; BUT, it lacks something. The way the apps open with ease on IOS, the smoothness of loading, and general stability of IOS impresses me. I can't believe it! I have written hundreds of ANTI APPLE, ANTI i-ANYTHING, and yet, I now find myself liking it.

Fragmentation.
I think this is Android's biggest problem. So many devices; so many different hardware configs, and yet iPhone has the same father and mother for both hardware and software. This seems to allow for ZERO confusion, which I believe attracts developers. I think that Android has so much potential to rock Apple's world! I know, as well as you do, that Android is a pain in Apple's side! However; the majority of America doesn't seem to follow along yet, which is partially what led me to try it out - that being the reason that the App quality is so much greater on iOS, because more people, means more developers, not to mention the lack of fragmentation, which leads to easier development.

I am truly saddened that I am so far liking the Apple better than the robot. I really am. You all have no idea how many posts that I have ratted on, just like this one, and yet this is the reason I come back to you guys. I would be mad at me too. Like a traitor,even. Still, I find solace in the productivity I have gained from my iPad 2. I even called it "iHOMO 5", lol, in a previous post. Sigh......

I need stability.
I need the quickness.

Answer me this, somebody:
"Why is it, that the iPhone 4, can compete with and even outrun my Samsung Galaxy S II?"

1. 800 Mhz single core
2. 512 mb of ram
vs.
1. 1.2 Ghz duo core
2. 1 Gb of RAM

I have spent over $2,000.00 this year on Android devices! OUT OF POCKET! I'm not eligible for an upgrade until 2013!!! I have went from xoom, to Galaxy Tab 10.1, Evo 4G, Epic Tough 4g, Evo 3d, Epic Touch 4G (Galaxy S II), I have played in depth with the Motorola Atrix, Droid Bionic, Motorola Photon, I mean how many more do I have to mention that I have handled, tested, played with, benchmarked, rooted, etc, and yet none of them can keep up with a meesly iPhone 4? Let's face it, on paper, Android devices have Apple canned, and yet in real world usability, they can't hold a piss! The Galaxy S II is the first phone that I have seen that holds it's own with apple well; However, it doesn't cut the cake like it should!!

In close, I will come back to my Galaxy S II if the iPhone won't do it! I really, REALLY, want the Android market to reach the full potential it has. Until the Android Market meets the quality of Apple App Store, there will be no iPhone killer. That sucks!

I never thought this day would come, but alas, here it is!

I'll keep you posted on the love OR hate of my upcoming new device.....

milominderbinde

May 25, 2010
Visit site
..."Why is it, that the iPhone 4, can compete with and even outrun my Samsung Galaxy S II?"...
When you make one device, you can optimize code for that exact hardware.

So you end up with one size display...with one required keyboard...

But then you may end up stuck with hardware from 2007. You can optimize the CPU all you want to but the 3.5" display is only for people with tiny hands.

Steve Jobs was amazing but there were two problems. He had very little fingers and he demanded that the iPhone be designed just for him.

efoss

May 13, 2011
Visit site
When you make one device, you can optimize code for that exact hardware.

So you end up with one size display...with one required keyboard...

But then you may end up stuck with hardware from 2007. You can optimize the CPU all you want to but the 3.5" display is only for people with tiny hands.

Steve Jobs was amazing but there were two problems. He had very little fingers and he demanded that the iPhone be designed just for him.

I read an article about the size. They basically said that they put a ton of research into the right size, which would be the most comfortable feel in any hand, big or small, and that you don't have to stretch to find what you're looking for. You can hit anything with 1 thumb. I have been playing with my gf's iPhone 4 for a while, trying it out, and I just don't find the 3.5" to be a prob like I thought I would. However; I LOVE The real estate on my Epic Touch 4G!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech