02-18-2014 08:35 PM
107 12345
tools
    I just left the Sprint store ..Check my new thread!
    10-10-2011 08:26 PM
    Epsom, thanks for your post regarding Beautiful Widgets. I installed this one a couple of days ago (the version on GetJar) and I did notice one day where it updated and it DESTROYED my battery. Kept the phone away for like 2 hours. When you selected the weather provider do you remember which you selected? I have a theory about this one.

Thanks!
    When I was seeing the battery bleed I was using Accuweather for the weather provider. Do tell what your theory is...
    10-10-2011 09:08 PM
    OK... just did the factory reset, uninstalled the bloatware, set up my email accounts along with Facebook and Twitter for Social Hub, and didn't install anything. I'm going to charge it overnight, and tomorrow I should have more info if that worked. Though now...

I just left the Sprint store ..Check my new thread!
    ... I checked out that thread and it really seems as though I should just bite the bullet and get a new unit. Thanks for the link.
    10-10-2011 09:09 PM
    OK... just did the factory reset, uninstalled the bloatware, set up my email accounts along with Facebook and Twitter for Social Hub, and didn't install anything. I'm going to charge it overnight, and tomorrow I should have more info if that worked. Though now...

... I checked out that thread and it really seems as though I should just bite the bullet and get a new unit. Thanks for the link.
    NP
    10-10-2011 09:17 PM
    So, I charged my phone last night and took it off the charger at midnight. It was showing 97%. Checked this morning and it was 96% (7am so 7 hours on standby). After sending 50 texts today and checking email, right now at 7:38 pm, my battery is showing 85%. Does that seem normal?
    10-10-2011 09:38 PM
    I'm wondering if HTC Evo owners are jealous of the battery life that we get even though some of us are supposedly not getting the best battery life. My gf has evo 4g and her battery life is horrible and that's an understatement. Wouldn't those with the "worst" battery life still be better than that of HTC evo owners?
    10-10-2011 10:14 PM
    So, I charged my phone last night and took it off the charger at midnight. It was showing 97%. Checked this morning and it was 96% (7am so 7 hours on standby). After sending 50 texts today and checking email, right now at 7:38 pm, my battery is showing 85%. Does that seem normal?
    My phone stayed at 99% after overnight charging and suddenly would drop percentage during any usage.
    10-10-2011 10:25 PM
    I'm wondering if HTC Evo owners are jealous of the battery life that we get even though some of us are supposedly not getting the best battery life. My gf has evo 4g and her battery life is horrible and that's an understatement. Wouldn't those with the "worst" battery life still be better than that of HTC evo owners?
    When I got the 1900mah battery it solved that problem.. The battery was to small for the device to begin with.
    10-10-2011 10:26 PM
    My phone stayed at 99% after overnight charging and suddenly would drop percentage during any usage.
    Mine doesn't drop that much after usage. I'm hoping the percentage is correct.
    10-10-2011 10:40 PM
    If you are not getting a great battery life, just follow the steps in the 30+ Hours Battery Life.

I had Beautiful Widgets installed because they were free on Getjar but found that using any of them cut my battery life drastically, especially the weather ones. Even when not using any of them at all but just having Beautiful Widget on my phone, Watchdog showed that Beautiful Widgets was one of my biggest battery suckers.

Thankfully there are other widgets just as good that take almost no battery.

Follow the steps and you can quickly find what is killing your battery.
    10-10-2011 10:58 PM
    To OP;
    Get Watchdog Lite, and OS Monitor. You will notice that suspend, and event/0 will take over when the phone tries to go to sleep with the screen off. I have tried everything, and the only things that have worked it turning off Background Data, and this morning doing a hard reset. I got the Touch on day 1, and it had excellent battery life until 10/1/11. After that I was lucky to get 9 hours of life from a full charge. 10% to 15% per hours with the screen off was the norm. I had great 3g signal, and WiFi at all times, and my usage habits did not change. Android OS was 60%, and watchdog would alert on suspend, and event/0 all the time. Since unchecking background data is not an option I finally gave in, and hard reset the phone. Today my battery life is back to normal, and I am seriously hoping that it stays that way.
    10-10-2011 11:39 PM
    When I was seeing the battery bleed I was using Accuweather for the weather provider. Do tell what your theory is...
    Epsom, looks like my theory is incorreect I was wondering if it had something to do with Google as a weather provider. I noticed that it wouldn't even pull weather and left my device awake for awhile. Accuweather seems to be okay. Not sure what might be causing it but I've been doing well the past few days.
    10-11-2011 04:50 AM
    First, I want to thank everyone in this thread for all the help! You guys rock!

After reading a lot of posts in this and other threads, I want to ask this question: How many people out there have to go through a bunch of steps to get great battery life, and how many have great battery life out of the box with no extra work? It seems there are people on both sides, and I just want a rough count. I realize that there are many bad apps/widgets out there that eat our batteries, but aside from that how much work do you all actually have to do to get your battery working optimally?

Thanks again.
    10-11-2011 06:55 AM
    Did you guys really expect the battery life to be great? its a 4G phone with a huge AMOLED display, of course the battery is going to be horrible.
    10-11-2011 07:01 AM
    First, I want to thank everyone in this thread for all the help! You guys rock!

After reading a lot of posts in this and other threads, I want to ask this question: How many people out there have to go through a bunch of steps to get great battery life, and how many have great battery life out of the box with no extra work? It seems there are people on both sides, and I just want a rough count. I realize that there are many bad apps/widgets out there that eat our batteries, but aside from that how much work do you all actually have to do to get your battery working optimally?

Thanks again.
    Jazzman,

More than happy to answer this question. My great battery life is an "out of the box" experience. The only thing I changed (and this was more annoyance than anything else) was the update frequency of the Sprint Zone. Nothing of value came from that.

I dont use any Advanced Task Killers or Power Management Systems (i.e. Juice Defender). I let GMail (3 accounts) sync instantly (I'm impatient I want my junk email NOW). I have Beautiful Widget (home small with the date and weather) update every time I wake up the phone (which happens to be quite a bit). I do not have an active 4G antenna since I'm not in a good area for it. I do not leave WiFi active all day (just seems counter intuitive to me but I will use it when home). Bluetooth is on all day (again I'm impatient I want it connected to my car AS SOON as I get in). I spend about 2-3 hours per day with it connected to Bluetooth in my car.

I guess I should consider myself part of the fortunate group. My Photon required an occasional fill up mid day to give me peace of mind I would get through my day. My Gingerbread Evo REQUIRED that fill up and so far in just shy of a month with this phone I've had to fill up ONCE, and that was a result of playing with it for a LONG time in the morning, and leaving something open that did some damage. I probably could have made it through the day (I was averaging about 7% per hour at that point), but I didn't want to run out.
    10-11-2011 07:22 AM
    I guess I would fall in the group of good out of the box with no tuning, until I installed a bad program/widget.

The same was true of my EVO though, and it got significantly better battery life after I put Myns and then Synergy on it.

Chalk it up to good luck.
    10-11-2011 08:16 AM
    I guess I would fall in the group of good out of the box with no tuning, until I installed a bad program/widget.

The same was true of my EVO though, and it got significantly better battery life after I put Myns and then Synergy on it.

Chalk it up to good luck.
    What's Myns and snyergy? I have task killer is that effective enough to conserve battery?
    10-11-2011 08:45 AM
    Jazzman,

More than happy to answer this question. My great battery life is an "out of the box" experience. The only thing I changed (and this was more annoyance than anything else) was the update frequency of the Sprint Zone. Nothing of value came from that.

I dont use any Advanced Task Killers or Power Management Systems (i.e. Juice Defender). I let GMail (3 accounts) sync instantly (I'm impatient I want my junk email NOW). I have Beautiful Widget (home small with the date and weather) update every time I wake up the phone (which happens to be quite a bit). I do not have an active 4G antenna since I'm not in a good area for it. I do not leave WiFi active all day (just seems counter intuitive to me but I will use it when home). Bluetooth is on all day (again I'm impatient I want it connected to my car AS SOON as I get in). I spend about 2-3 hours per day with it connected to Bluetooth in my car.

I guess I should consider myself part of the fortunate group. My Photon required an occasional fill up mid day to give me peace of mind I would get through my day. My Gingerbread Evo REQUIRED that fill up and so far in just shy of a month with this phone I've had to fill up ONCE, and that was a result of playing with it for a LONG time in the morning, and leaving something open that did some damage. I probably could have made it through the day (I was averaging about 7% per hour at that point), but I didn't want to run out.
    Ideally, this would be how I would want this phone to work, and by most accounts, this is how the phone should work. I'm doing some more testing this morning after the factory reset, as I stated, and I should have data shortly, but I still have a funny feeling the phone/battery is faulty. We shall see...

Thanks for the reply.
    10-11-2011 08:49 AM
    Ideally, this would be how I would want this phone to work, and by most accounts, this is how the phone should work. I'm doing some more testing this morning after the factory reset, as I stated, and I should have data shortly, but I still have a funny feeling the phone/battery is faulty. We shall see...

Thanks for the reply.
    I think it is certainly possible that there is a problem with the battery/device. Dguidry seems to have had some success with having the device replaced and it doesn't sound like you are doing anything that would impact the battery the way you have described.
    10-11-2011 09:29 AM
    If your battery is draining that much, I wouldn't hesitate to return it. As I mentioned, I'm not getting the ridiculously long battery life as some of the people on this forum but I get acceptable battery life.

I fully charged last night at 11:30, unplugged and went to bed. Woke up at 6:30 and the battery was at 94%. I have background data enabled and all the syncing as normal.
    10-11-2011 10:48 AM
    I think it is certainly possible that there is a problem with the battery/device. Dguidry seems to have had some success with having the device replaced and it doesn't sound like you are doing anything that would impact the battery the way you have described.
    Thanks. I'm doing some more testing this morning, after the reset, and as of now, things look much more promising... color me shocked. I'll report again with screenshots once a few more hors go by. I may not have to replace it after all... (/crosses fingers)
    10-11-2011 11:19 AM
    To answer your earlier question, I got great battery life out of the box, so I never really dug too deeply into Milo's post. I did do some app testing though, and even did one factory reset early on as I was testing and tweaking things. If I identify something that may be causing unnecessary battery drain I tend to unintsall first and ask questions later. An example is the Go Contacts/Dialer app. Shortly after a call came in I hit the ignore button and put the phone down. About an hour later I happened to look at my battery status and noticed that my phone had been wakelocked. The only thing that had changed was Go Contacts so I promptly killed it and uninstalled. I don't know what events led to the wakelock, but I know it hasn't happened again since the app uninstall.

Anyhoo, most battery issues fall into three categories ... poor signal, application issues, and defective battery/phone. Your signal is strong, so it's probably one of the last two. Your factory reset and running clean while you test will help you determine which of the final two it is.

Good luck!
    10-11-2011 11:34 AM
    ...Since unchecking background data is not an option I finally gave in, and hard reset the phone...
    To turn off Background data: Tap Home > Menu > Accounts and sync > Background data OFF

This turns off Background data and Auto sync.
    10-11-2011 12:11 PM
    UPDATE:

All was well this morning until about 1h40m ago, and it seems the battery took a nosedive again.

I unplugged the phone from the charger at around 11am, and for the first hour or so of getting emails, texts and checking the battery, I had used about 2% (98-97% at that time), and I was cautiously optimistic. Then I received an unknown call which was ignored, and then shortly after another unknown call that was also ignored. After that, the battery exhibited it's "normal" behavior of draining while doing nothing. I uninstalled every program I could after the reset, and installed absolutely nothing new afterwards. The only things I did were:

- Set up email accounts (Gmail push, Exchange 5min peak, 15 min off-peak)
    - Set up SocialHub connections to Facebook and Twitter (3 hours for messages, 1 day for contacts and calendar)
    - Connect to Gtalk
    - Set up auto refresh for AccuWeather widget for 3 hours

Attached are the screenshots after 2h31m. Discouraged to say the least. Anyone willing to call it?
    10-11-2011 01:01 PM
    After the hard reset, which was assist by a sprint tech I installed everything back, and today under normal usage after 6 hours, and 45 minutes my battery is at 78%. yesterday at this time I was at 21%. The hard reset appears to have corrected the issue. hopefully it will not return.
    10-11-2011 02:17 PM
107 12345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD