Well, I took the plunge yesterday! After my Evo 3d was acting up again (hot battery, rapid discharge, screen backlight coming on by itself for no reason, slow performance), I finally had enough and traded it in for the Epic 4G Touch!

So far I really like it. Looks and feels great, phone calls sound good. Wifi signal seems a bit on the lower side compared to the Evo 3d, but it does work fine. Overall reception between the two seems to be the same. I was at the same house yesterday and today with both phones and both had about the same signal strength.

The main reason for switching though was the other problems the Evo had and of course the performance! I was thinking of a Photon at first because it has a Tegra 2 and there are some Tegra exclusive games out there, but 2 games isn't worth making a decision over as far as what device to pick. The Photon supposedly has better signal quality, but really, I managed with what the Evo had to offer, so I am pretty sure I'll be fine with the Epic.

One thing I am confused about though...when you move apps to storage, where does it go, the big internal storage of the phone or the card? I have a 32 GB card in the phone as well, but I don't know how to tell the phone where to put what. I guess I can just use that space to side load more pictures, movies and music and use the 11 that the phone has for moving apps?
    10-11-2011 01:31 PM
    This thread should answer your questions about the SD memory card slot:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...sion-slot.html
    10-11-2011 01:52 PM
    awesome decision... I just did the same thing yesterday and this phone is amazing.... Everything I ever wanted in a phone and then some
    10-11-2011 02:03 PM
    Glad to have you Manny, great choice! I too, had the 3D and never looked back. Looking forward to your solid contributions in this forum!
    MannyZ28 likes this.
    10-11-2011 02:58 PM
    Welcome aboard! I started researching a new phone a couple of weeks before the EVO 3D was released. A friend of mine who is a die hard HTC fan bought it, but I took a pass on it. It just didn't turn me on, while the International GSII had a good month under it's belt already and it sounded pretty sexy. So I anxiously waited for a US landing on Sprint and stalked this forum (while it was still called the "Within") until we finally got the news I was waiting for.

I couldn't be happier. I'd put your new phone through it's paces though. Look for things that appear to be abnormal, mostly regarding heat generation, battery life and signal strength. There seem to be some defective phones out there that are giving people fits. For many like me however, the last 3 weeks with this device has been awesome. Some people dog the WVGA resolution but every time I look at the screen the only word that pops in my mind is "beautiful".

Good luck!
    10-11-2011 03:28 PM
    Looks like mine might have an issue, Wifi! I can be in the same room as the router and it will only have 3 out of 4 bars (I am counting the dot as a bar too). Where the Evo 3d used to have no issue with wifi, this phone struggles big time.

I think I better take it back before I install too much stuff on it and then have to start all over again!
    10-11-2011 06:14 PM
    Looks like mine might have an issue, Wifi! I can be in the same room as the router and it will only have 3 out of 4 bars (I am counting the dot as a bar too). Where the Evo 3d used to have no issue with wifi, this phone struggles big time.

I think I better take it back before I install too much stuff on it and then have to start all over again!
    Don't go by the bars. Run a speed test and you should see it will get the same speeds if not better then your 3VO with more bars. This has been discussed a lot already so I wouldn't run back to return it for this reason yet.....
    10-11-2011 07:14 PM
    Don't go by the bars. Run a speed test and you should see it will get the same speeds if not better then your 3VO with more bars. This has been discussed a lot already so I wouldn't run back to return it for this reason yet.....
    Yeah I read some posts on that, will definitely keep this phone for a while unless it acts up in some other way shape or form. The Speed test came out to be right about where it should be, but the range does seem less. Sometimes it shows its connected to wifi but still can't go online, I have to disconnect and reconnect and it's back up online. Going to have to observe is there is a pattern to this or not.
    10-11-2011 07:18 PM
    I have the same "issue". Haven't noticed any drop in speeds though. Don't think you should worry
    10-11-2011 07:20 PM
    I made the switch after having an og EVO and the 3D. I was dissapointed to put it politely with the 3D and decided to give this phone a try. I've had it for about a week and am impressed but torn at the same time. Overall though, I like the phone and think I'll keep it. I occasionally pick up my 3D and do comparrisons and I can't believe how much better the screen is on the Epic touch. Still have about another week to decide if I want to keep it or not but I think I will.
    10-11-2011 08:07 PM

Bars don't lie, no bars no service, I had the same problem. You will find the phone signal stinks too.
    I returned mine and went back to the EVO.
    When or IF they fix it I'll get another one.
    Have a funny feeling they will not fix it. They never fixed the Nexxus.
    -bobby
    10-11-2011 09:12 PM
    OP..Make sure you do very good testing on the phone. Signal, battery, charging etc before your 14 days are up.. Hopefully you have a good unit.
    10-11-2011 09:23 PM
    now that I have had it for almost 2 days, things seem to straighten themselves out. Wifi seems OK now, gps is fine signal is as expected from what I had with the evo, if it keeps behaving, it's a winner. Going to load more apps on it now to see which cause problems besides the two games I wrote about in my other post.
    10-12-2011 11:25 AM
    I just got my Epic 4G Touch last Friday and it's my first Android device since trying the G1 years ago. For the past 3 years I have had an iPhone and for me it was time for a change. I LOVE my Galaxy S II. It's huge, but thin and light. TouchWiz 4.0 is a big improvement over the previous iterations. And the battery life has been pretty good for me! Also, the camera quality is STUNNING! Overall, I'm missing my iPhone a bit because I'm SO used to iOS, but I'm loving every moment with my GS2, and will be keeping it for sure(:
    10-12-2011 12:33 PM
    I just got my Epic 4G Touch last Friday and it's my first Android device since trying the G1 years ago. For the past 3 years I have had an iPhone and for me it was time for a change. I LOVE my Galaxy S II. It's huge, but thin and light. TouchWiz 4.0 is a big improvement over the previous iterations. And the battery life has been pretty good for me! Also, the camera quality is STUNNING! Overall, I'm missing my iPhone a bit because I'm SO used to iOS, but I'm loving every moment with my GS2, and will be keeping it for sure(:
    Welcome back to Android! Enjoy your phone. The ability to customize daily, weekly, monthly or yearly (who am I kidding; no one keeps a phone for that long anymore do they? lol), is so much better than IOS.

I think IOS is great on the iPod Touch for music, games, videos, and podcast (I really enjoy mine). But my phone (SGSIISE4GT) is my everday device and it's Android all the way.
    10-12-2011 01:01 PM
    Bars don't lie, no bars no service, I had the same problem. You will find the phone signal stinks too.
    I returned mine and went back to the EVO.
    When or IF they fix it I'll get another one.
    Have a funny feeling they will not fix it. They never fixed the Nexxus.
    -bobby
    I'm returning the one I picked up last Thursday. The only place where it beats out my E3D is the quality of the pictures and video it takes. The notification led is inconsistent, you can't change the web browser to open in desktop mode by default, Wi-Fi reception sucks, the resolution sucks on such a big screen, Social Hub has no widget and no auto sync, why is there a separate back-light setting for the touch buttons? They should time out with the screen!
    10-30-2011 07:18 PM
    I am another one who had the original EVO, who then switched to the EVO 3D, and then went to the Epic Touch. I ordered it the first day it was available.

I was disappointed with the 3D as well. Mine worked perfectly and had no operational issues I was aware of. I was very disappointed with the narrow screen of the 3D, the permanent shutter button which was always getting in the way, the heavy weight of it.

I always found myself switching back to the EVO from the 3D for a few days, and then switching back to the 3D. The reason was I actually liked the original EVO better. The bonus here was I learned how to do this in a couple minutes on the Sprint website.

Long story short, I got the Samsung Epic Touch, and i have never thought of switching back again. My wife inherited the EVO and the 3D is sitting in my office, in a case, in a drawer, in the dark. Well, you get the picture.
    10-31-2011 07:50 AM
    I made the jump from the Evo 3D to the GSII this week. So far I have had no problems except 1. When I plug it into the USB on my PC the phone doesn't act right. It thinks I'm touching different parts of the screen or just opens random apps. Strange.

Other than that small problem it's an amazing phone!
    10-31-2011 09:14 AM
    I made the jump from the Evo 3D to the GSII this week. So far I have had no problems except 1. When I plug it into the USB on my PC the phone doesn't act right. It thinks I'm touching different parts of the screen or just opens random apps. Strange.

Other than that small problem it's an amazing phone!
    Screens acting strange when plugged in has been a common problem, but I think this is the first I've heard of it happening when plugged into a PC. Usually it's when the phone is plugged into a wall charger.

Try turning your screen off first by hitting the sleep/wake button, then plug it in. See if that helps the issue.
    10-31-2011 11:23 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD