Worth upgrading?

husker723#AC

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
I have a rooted EVO and have been pretty happy with it. I figured I'd give the iPhone 4s a try for really no good reason, I guess. But now I'm thinking it might be better to switch to the Galaxy S II. I get the impression that the Nexus Prime will be the best of the bunch but I'm not going to switch to Verizon. Any thoughts on if it is even worth switching from the EVO? Thanks.

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I have a rooted EVO and have been pretty happy with it. I figured I'd give the iPhone 4s a try for really no good reason, I guess. But now I'm thinking it might be better to switch to the Galaxy S II. I get the impression that the Nexus Prime will be the best of the bunch but I'm not going to switch to Verizon. Any thoughts on if it is even worth switching from the EVO? Thanks.

How's the battery on the rooted evo? Out of everything about the gs2 that's great about i'm more impressed with the battery life of this phone. For such a beast of a phone it has great battery life!

husker723#AC

Dec 19, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the input. The battery is not good. But, I guess it depends on how heavy a user you are. I'm on my phone alot but I'm also pretty good about plugging it into the car charger. Figured the battery on most of these phones is poor.

h4ldol

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from an Evo 4G that I got on launch day back in June 2010, and I have to say that the E4GT is a huge upgrade and well worth the price. The screen is far superior, the phone is significantly and noticeably faster and smoother (no lag whatsoever 99% of the time), a much better camera for photos and video (1080p on the E4GT, plus it's just far superior in quality to video recorded on the Evo) and the battery life lasts probably twice as long with similar usage. The build quality is much better as well (no light leakage from the bottom bezel or ill fitting battery cover). Also, I really like Touch Wiz much more than Sense, with a lot of useful features. And all of this in a significantly lighter and thinner body than the Evo. True, there are some areas that are worse than the Evo (especially the light sensor and some wifi connectivity issues), but overall it is a huge improvement over the Evo.

Personally, I wouldn't go the iPhone route unless you really like iOS (iTunes, etc.) and enjoy having a small display and one button. And I'm sorry but Siri is a joke -- like people are really going to start talking to their phones in the office, on the street, in restaurants and theaters, in airports, well, you get my point. ;)

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the input. The battery is not good. But, I guess it depends on how heavy a user you are. I'm on my phone alot but I'm also pretty good about plugging it into the car charger. Figured the battery on most of these phones is poor.

Some on this forum have reported unsatisfactory battery performance but i'm willing to bet that even the most terrible battery performance on the gs2 is by far still superior to that of the evo.

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
I upgraded from an Evo 4G that I got on launch day back in June 2010, and I have to say that the E4GT is a huge upgrade and well worth the price. The screen is far superior, the phone is significantly and noticeably faster and smoother (no lag whatsoever 99% of the time), a much better camera for photos and video (1080p on the E4GT, plus it's just far superior in quality to video recorded on the Evo) and the battery life lasts probably twice as long with similar usage. The build quality is much better as well (no light leakage from the bottom bezel or ill fitting battery cover). Also, I really like Touch Wiz much more than Sense, with a lot of useful features. And all of this in a significantly lighter and thinner body than the Evo. True, there are some areas that are worse than the Evo (especially the light sensor and some wifi connectivity issues), but overall it is a huge improvement over the Evo.

Personally, I wouldn't go the iPhone route unless you really like iOS (iTunes, etc.) and enjoy having a small display and one button. And I'm sorry but Siri is a joke -- like people are really going to start talking to their phones in the office, on the street, in restaurants and theaters, in airports, well, you get my point. ;)

+1

The camera is wonderful. The pictures taken with this phone are amazing. The screen size is great that extra .2 goes a long a way. I say try out the phone, you have 14 days and that should be more than enough time to fall in love with it.

xtn

Sep 22, 2010
Visit site
The fact that there is no light leakage has nothing to do with build quality. There is no backlight behind the screen to leak out.

1SFG

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
In the same boat as the OP, but my Evo 4G is not rooted. Considering making the switch even though my Evo is holding up fairly well and my only real issue with the phone is the abysmal battery life. But I'm now reading several threads on various Android forums about signal strength issues. Anyone in the DC Metro or NoVA area care to give me a read out on their signal strength in the area?

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Absolutely! "Just Do It" coming from Evo, and don't read so much on the forums, & let third solely dictate your decision. if you want to try it, do it! Use it for a couple days then add your feedback to the forum. Batt. Life is the best I've ever had on a smart phone by the way!

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat -- It looks like I can root the EG4T fairly simply, but I'm pretty happy with my Evo (been the longest phone commitment of my life I think..... ) - I'm just reading up on this phone.. with so many pages of forum threads, can I get someone to narrow it down here? What are the major differences (and poor qualities) between the Evo and EG4T? Wifi connectivity is pretty important to me - signal strength must be decent, battery life - anything equal or longer than Evo is great.. would love to have a multi-colored LED (because I'm a GIRL and I like those things) .....give me the rundown!

Quietkvj#AC

Jun 12, 2010
Visit site
I am in the same boat -- It looks like I can root the EG4T fairly simply, but I'm pretty happy with my Evo (been the longest phone commitment of my life I think..... ) - I'm just reading up on this phone.. with so many pages of forum threads, can I get someone to narrow it down here? What are the major differences (and poor qualities) between the Evo and EG4T? Wifi connectivity is pretty important to me - signal strength must be decent, battery life - anything equal or longer than Evo is great.. would love to have a multi-colored LED (because I'm a GIRL and I like those things) .....give me the rundown!

Do it, you will love it. I switched from my launch day EVO that I absolutely loved, the battery did suck but i work a desk job so it didnt really matter, but it feels good to be able to forget your charger and not have to worry. I read about people having loss of signal issues but i never had any of those and i also read that they were resolved by changing some settings so i wouldnt worry about that. As for wifi, i get a better signal than i did with my evo in most areas of my house. The screen is amazingly bright and colorful. its really fast. It's very light and thin which is a plus. I love the samsung UI its very user friendly. when ur on a call the notification bar lights up green and when you drag it down you will find lots of in call options. the camera definitely takes better pictures than my evo, i would always carry my canon with me for daily use but now i can leave it home. I cant think of any cons except for the sprint 3g speeds at time, but thanks to a better battery im not afraid to use 4g. go for it girl,you will not look back.

Reactions: ihbsbA

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Do it, you will love it. I switched from my launch day EVO that I absolutely loved, the battery did suck but i work a desk job so it didnt really matter, but it feels good to be able to forget your charger and not have to worry. I read about people having loss of signal issues but i never had any of those and i also read that they were resolved by changing some settings so i wouldnt worry about that. As for wifi, i get a better signal than i did with my evo in most areas of my house. The screen is amazingly bright and colorful. its really fast. It's very light and thin which is a plus. I love the samsung UI its very user friendly. when ur on a call the notification bar lights up green and when you drag it down you will find lots of in call options. the camera definitely takes better pictures than my evo, i would always carry my canon with me for daily use but now i can leave it home. I cant think of any cons except for the sprint 3g speeds at time, but thanks to a better battery im not afraid to use 4g. go for it girl,you will not look back.

+1
agree

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Launch day EVO user here and even paying full price for the GS2 has brought few regrets. There is no overstating the speed of this thing. I broke out my ASUS Transformer and it's laggy and sluggish compared to he phone! Beautiful screen and light.

I'm having a few odd things with battery life and whatnot, but not enough to warn others off. Buh-bye, EVO.

bobby35ny

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
I went from the EVO to the Sammy and now back to the EVO. While the Sammy was great, the wifi and phone signal is horrible. Just remember you have 14 days return it.
=bobby

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I went from the EVO to the Sammy and now back to the EVO. While the Sammy was great, the wifi and phone signal is horrible. Just remember you have 14 days return it.
=bobby

No issues with wifi here. Don't look at the bars as it might show less but it is performing just as good or better then other phones.

No issues here with phone signal either. Calls have been solid and crystal clear.

Went from the EVO 4G to the EVO 3D to the SGS2 and the SGS2 is definitely the best of the bunch. I am really enjoying this phone. Battery is pretty good as well. Can go all day with about 3 hours of on screen time using a mix of 4G, 3G , and wifi. I am usually about 13-15 hours unplugged when it goes back on the charger and still having battery left.

Oh, and if you skype on your phone, this thing can't be beat. People on the other end have told me they cannot believe how clear the picture is on their end. Much better then the built in camera on my Mac........

If you do get the phone, I wouldn't root it at first. Wait and see if you get the LOS bug. If you do not, I would leave it as is because I assure you if you root it that ugly beast will pop it's head out not long after that. Phone is a monster right out of the box unlike most HTC devices.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site

My 3g speeds are great, I don't even use 4g when I can - because I'm happy enough with the 3g speeds (some of you may disagree, but some of you may require more from your phones than me) - I like the idea of a better camera, as I use my phone camera *all the time* - I even use it for important pictures... I have seen complaints about the WiFi coverage, so that worried me - also that WiFi drops after a period of time??
I've seen complaints about GPS connecting -
I've seen complaints about signal strength...
Any thoughts on these things?

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Launch day EVO user here and even paying full price for the GS2 has brought few regrets. There is no overstating the speed of this thing. I broke out my ASUS Transformer and it's laggy and sluggish compared to he phone! Beautiful screen and light.

I'm having a few odd things with battery life and whatnot, but not enough to warn others off. Buh-bye, EVO.
]

Dirk, can I pick your brain privately?

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
=bobby

bobby, thank you - this is what I was worried about, so I may do the 14 day thing! Thanks again.....

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
No issues with wifi here. Don't look at the bars as it might show less but it is performing just as good or better then other phones.

No issues here with phone signal either. Calls have been solid and crystal clear.

Went from the EVO 4G to the EVO 3D to the SGS2 and the SGS2 is definitely the best of the bunch. I am really enjoying this phone. Battery is pretty good as well. Can go all day with about 3 hours of on screen time using a mix of 4G, 3G , and wifi. I am usually about 13-15 hours unplugged when it goes back on the charger and still having battery left.

Oh, and if you skype on your phone, this thing can't be beat. People on the other end have told me they cannot believe how clear the picture is on their end. Much better then the built in camera on my Mac........

If you do get the phone, I wouldn't root it at first. Wait and see if you get the LOS bug. If you do not, I would leave it as is because I assure you if you root it that ugly beast will pop it's head out not long after that. Phone is a monster right out of the box unlike most HTC devices.

What is the LOS bug? I need root because I use WiFi tethering alllllllll the time....... I don't have issues with battery life - I prefer to use my phone how I like, so I carry 2 extra charged batteries all the time. I have wall chargers at home that keep the batteries charged up, just pop in another one and I have plenty of power if I have to be completely wireless all day and night. I get from 6-10 hours depending on use and signal strength. I live in the boonies so sometimes signal is weak... thanks for the reply!

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to post back here that on XDA they talk about doing a ##786# to reset the phone if you have the LOS bug and that has fixed it according to the thread.....Post #43 I don't know what this reset is, or when you do it - anyone (over here at the NICE forum) care to elaborate? I'm afraid I will get my face ripped off over there.

"The LOS issue? Do a ##786# reset (fixed everyone's epic 4G that I know of that has had the problem and they have never had the issue again). Otherwise, there IS NOTHING ELSE wrong with this device."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC