I got my epic touch 3 days after it was released, loved it, played with it, tweaked it - basically I didn't put this phone down for a whole week, and I thought it was reasonable I was getting terrible battery life - 7-8 hours before reaching below 10% from full charge. But when my usage flattened out to minimum, I still kept getting same terrible battery life; I never hit the 12 hour mark on a single full charge before needing to charge again. One day I went from 96% to 18% in less than 4.5 hours with moderate device use, and I read folks at Engadget got 8 hours of video playback on their Epic Touch, I thought that was unreasonable, so I got my device replaced. First thing I noticed after activation was that after two hours of unplugging, I was only 3% down on battery. This was much better than 10% I would lose on my first Epic Touch. Long story short, not only did I cross the 12 hour mark for the first time, I went as far as almost 33 hours before hitting 15% on one charge (except for 15 mins of music transfer from PC through USB, which could have charged it a little). Sadly I experienced some problem with my Epic #2 too, and I got it replaced again. and on my third epic touch, I am at 30% after 15 hours of use, and this includes 4 hours of constant music play, 70 mins of calls and 2 hours of display use. I went through three ET's, and two of these had great battery life. So what I am saying is, if you don't have any good explainable reason why you are getting a super terrible battery life, try getting your device replaced.
    10-14-2011 02:54 AM
    Moderators, I know there is another thread going on for terrible battery life, but I thought it will help someone more if they can see it directly in the first post of a thread. If you feel like this post belongs better in other thread, feel free to merge it.
    10-14-2011 02:56 AM
    This is getting ridiculous. Likely, there are no hardware problems with these phones. It can be any number of reasons why battery life isn't great that can't be made consistent over different users, or even the same user on different days.
    10-14-2011 07:27 AM
    This is getting ridiculous. Likely, there are no hardware problems with these phones. It can be any number of reasons why battery life isn't great that can't be made consistent over different users, or even the same user on different days.
    How do you know there are no hardware problem with these phone. Yes, I agree there is nothing major, but it is very likely possible a batch of phones got some issue, very particular to that batch. For example, my second epic touch had issue with menu key self activating. I even created a thread for it. It was frustrating that the menu drawer would keep opening and closing as if someone is doing it repeatedly, except no one was touching the menu key. Couple of other people also acknowledged this to be the case. So, since that is not happening on your phone I am guessing, but its happening on mine, and if it were a software issue, everyone should have had it, only thing we can deduce is that it is a hardware issue particular to a very small batch of phones.

And I forgot to mention in my OP, that I even tried juice defender app, and still the battery drain remained high. It was definitely the hardware issue. Otherwise how come I am getting 16 hours on my epic #3, with crazy amount of use, whereas my first epic used to die by the time it hit hour 9 on regular email checking and angry bird?
    10-14-2011 01:34 PM
    I have to monitor mine. I am about done with tweaking and will be testing battery life. My wife's phone went 10 hours with minimum phone call and battery was at 65-70% so I guess that one is okay.
    10-14-2011 01:46 PM
    I believe it depends on what your doing on your phone but mines works just fine

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    10-14-2011 02:34 PM
    I've been have good and bad days and can't sort what's causing either. I just charged my phone and within a half hour, it was down to 90% in my admittedly TERRIBLE office which gives 2 bars rarely and 0-1 most of the time. I went in to see what was using the battery and was surprised to see GPS Status 2nd behind Display in use, especially since I had GPS off and hadn't run the program since last night and had Force Killed the app. Weird.
    10-14-2011 02:34 PM
    Could the battery issues on ET be any worse than HTC's batteries?? Just saying...
    10-14-2011 02:37 PM
    What do you do when your car does not get the gas mileage that is on the window sticker?
    just turn it back in and ask for a new one? The answer is no...each car is different, driver is different and different driving habits along with different areas. it could have a huge difference between 2 cars.
    same goes with phones...maybe it is not the phones fault...or a defective battery.
    10-14-2011 02:48 PM
    What do you do when your car does not get the gas mileage that is on the window sticker?
    just turn it back in and ask for a new one? The answer is no...each car is different, driver is different and different driving habits along with different areas. it could have a huge difference between 2 cars.
    same goes with phones...maybe it is not the phones fault...or a defective battery.
    Overall, for what the phone is capable of, I think the phone gets good to great battery life as compared to other smartphones.
    10-14-2011 02:55 PM
    I can go 20+ hours with light usage or 5-6hrs with heavy usage. Bad signal can drop battery by 1% a minute. Bad apps can contribute more to bad battery life. Its like people think that if they're not getting 30+hrs on a charge,thy have bad battery life, regardless of how they use their phone, and then claim bad hardware.
    10-14-2011 10:41 PM
    Could the battery issues on ET be any worse than HTC's batteries?? Just saying...
    Definitely not. Especially on 4G. Samsung has better battery life it seems overall, and I suspect Sense contributes a lot to battery drain.
    10-14-2011 10:43 PM
    I can go 20+ hours with light usage or 5-6hrs with heavy usage. Bad signal can drop battery by 1% a minute. Bad apps can contribute more to bad battery life. Its like people think that if they're not getting 30+hrs on a charge,thy have bad battery life, regardless of how they use their phone, and then claim bad hardware.
    What do you have against a phone having possible battery issues? If you read my previous posts, my phone dropped to 18% in four and half hours, with some light browsing and ebook reading. It could not have been network issue, since I was at home, and its the same place where my replacement epic got comparatively strong battery life. I dont have a strong signal at home, but its not weak either. It could not be 3G radio issue, since I was on wifi. It could not be a bad app, since I did factory reset just a day before and did not install anything except gingerbread keyboard. It could not be display use, since even though display was on for almost 2 hours out of the 4.5 hours time, on my replacement epic, my display-on time is at 2 hour 16mins, and I am on battery for 14 hours, so if display takes so much battery, I wouldn't hit the time length on battery that I have since last charge. So it was not any radio, it was not any app, and it was not the display that ate my battery. Plus, my first epic occasionally used to get pretty hot when I was on phone calls, something which my replacement epics have not done so far.

If thinking that epic touches can't have a bad hardware makes you sleep better at night, be my guest. I had problems with the battery life of my first epic, and it used to get hot, and I got it replaced, installed same apps, used it in same location, and I used it more heavily, and used it longer, still the battery on replacement device lasted much longer. Nothing changed, except the device. Then I had to get a third epic touch, for some issue of menu key self activating on its own - which is again possibly a hardware issue, and battery performance is still better than my first epic touch. I thought the hypothesis of defective hardware explains the case well, so I posted it here to help the community.

If you did not read, the last line of my OP of this thread said:
    Code:
    So what I am saying is, if you don't have any good explainable reason why you are getting a super terrible battery life, try getting your device replaced.
    and here when I said "if you dont have a good explainable reason....", I was talking about if you know for sure you dont have any signal, app, or usage pattern issues. I understand fully well that your battery life depends on how you use your device. and I would be immensely happy with a battery life of 5-6 hours if a heavy use is what caused it. My issue is when I see my battery go dead in 7 hours when I have barely used my device at all, and a factory reset does not solve the problem. You are getting a 20+ hours with light use, I rarely ever got 10, even when I did not touch the device whole day. and now that I have different epic touch, all the problems vanished. I didnt change my location so signal/network did not change, I didnt chage my apps, I didnt change my usage pattern ever since I settled down with the device after first few days of use; only thing I changed was the device, and problem is solved. So here lies your answer.
    10-15-2011 04:48 AM
    Over the last 2-3 nights, I've woken up to a nearly completely dead battery on my epic 4g touch. This morning though, I can't turn it on even though it was a full charge yesterday night and I've been letting it sit charging for now (no actual "charging light" so.. weird..). Did the battery just completely die on me?
    10-15-2011 11:57 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD