Just a little venting here about the built in Voice Talk application and if anybody has any work-arounds I'd sure appreciate them.

Voice Talk is a collaboration between Vlingo and Samsung (mainly from Vlingo). Why they didn't just bundle Vlingo in, possibly with some branding changes is beside me. "Voice Talk" is inferior to Vlingo in many ways.

Music: Voice Talk seems to be hard-wired to Samsung's music app. Vlingo allows you to chose WHICH music app to use. Even Google Voice Search lets you do this to some extent, though Vlingo is more powerful.

Headset button: Voice talk seems to have completely hijacked the use of this button. Long-pressing your headset will bring up Voice Talk but there doesn't seem to be anyway to disable this, and let you define other apps to use with the headset button. It even kills the button in other apps! No longer can you hang-up/mute a call, pause/play/skip songs in a music app, or any of the other things apps might want to do with that button.

In both of these cases, there are NO defaults for either app that you can clear, and NO settings in either that you can disable. This is ridiculous. You can download Vlingo from the market and get more functionality but the headset-button remains hijacked.

Anybody have any other problems/ideas?
    10-14-2011 11:46 AM
    Just a little venting here about the built in Voice Talk application and if anybody has any work-arounds I'd sure appreciate them.

Voice Talk is a collaboration between Vlingo and Samsung (mainly from Vlingo). Why they didn't just bundle Vlingo in, possibly with some branding changes is beside me. "Voice Talk" is inferior to Vlingo in many ways.

Music: Voice Talk seems to be hard-wired to Samsung's music app. Vlingo allows you to chose WHICH music app to use. Even Google Voice Search lets you do this to some extent, though Vlingo is more powerful.

Anybody have any other problems/ideas?
    This is a pain... I use Gmusic and can't with voicetalk. I just dont use it to be honest. I plug my AUX wire in and place the phone on my Clingo. Look for cops and tap the screen to use the phone when i get a call. lol
    This is a goof feature on the phone but i don't think they thought it threw or didn't want to pay for the full functions. Either way at times its useless to use.
    10-14-2011 11:54 AM
    I wouldn't even mind the built in Voice Talk having gimped features. It's a little annoying that I can't uninstall it, but it doesn't take up that much space and I still have close to a third of my storage space left and I can't even think of anything else to install at the moment. And like I said, it's very easy to download superior 3rd party options.

My biggest gripe with this right now is how it completely hijacks that mic button. I don't use it all that often anymore, but when I was commuting on public transportation it was awesome to not have to pull my phone out of my pocket for most music things. I can't believe they would destroy all that functionality. At least add an option to NOT respond to mic buttons so others can! Also, every time an app calls another app (unless it's a VERY specific interaction) it should call an intent so you can have it interact with other apps that are otherwise perfectly capable of doing so. Voice Talk seems to specifically call the Samsung Music Player, instead of calling a Music intent, which would allow any number of apps to be invoked.
    10-14-2011 01:55 PM
    I agree. The fact that it hijacks the buttons and you cannot disable them sucks. I cannot change music, answer calls or any of that with a wired headset. I have to remove the phone from my pocket. My wired headset worked fine on my junk HTC Hero.

They need to have a disable option so it doesn't completely take over the buttons.
    10-29-2011 11:31 AM
    Has anyone come up with a way to disable this app. It does not work with my bluetooth car speaker either, makes me turn on the phone when I need to answer or make a call! How wrong is that!
    11-04-2011 11:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD