If so, I am curious how they compare and how you like the Samsung vs. the HTC.
    I think I am ready to upgrade from my Evo....trying to decide what to get and this has caught my eye.
    Any and all info / opinions welcome!
    Thanks!!
    10-18-2011 10:27 AM
    I think I am ready to upgrade from my Evo....trying to decide what to get and this has caught my eye.
    Thanks!!
    My gf has evo and i can tell you 2 things right off the bat that you'll notice. 1) Is the screen and 2) the battery life is amazing on this phone. Many great things about this phone, you really can't go wrong. It's light weight blazing fast. I've noticed no lag when switching screens. TouchWiz is very user friendly. For HTC evo has a better speaker. If you have good signal in your area this phone will definitely trump the evo. Also the camera is amazing and the vidoe recording is superb as well.
    alanjgarcia likes this.
    10-18-2011 10:44 AM
    I switched from the Evo 4g to the Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch. I really enjoy this phone so much more. The first thing I noticed was the thin form factor and the weight of the device. The SGSIIE4GT is superior by far.

Also, the visual display of the screen is unmatched in my opinion. I don't think I could look at another screen and not be disappointed after viewing the clarity, sharpness, and brightness of this phone over the Evo.

It's already been mentioned, but the battery life alone is reason to switch. I had my Evo for over a year, and while I liked the phone, the battery life was killing me. With the Epic 4g Touch the battery life is superb. I can take my phone off the charger at 7am when I leave for work, and won't need to recharge until around 2 or 3pm in the afternoon right before the drive home. My Evo would not have made it pass 10am.

In my opinion the Samsung is the better phone. Touchwiz add a nice bit of coold features and makes the user experience very pleasant. Join us!!
    10-18-2011 11:05 AM
    Everything ^^ is very true. One more thing you will definitely notice is that 4G (if you are in a 4G area) is very usable AND it doesn't drain your battery like the EVO did.
    10-18-2011 11:07 AM
    Yes, I switched over after I accidentally broke my EVO. Overall, this is definitely a better phone. The screen is bigger, much more vivid, it's lighter, better battery life, and it seems to be much faster than the EVO. It also has a better camera and a less blinding flash (the EVO flash really annoyed me).

However, Google will be announcing the Galaxy Nexus tonight, so you may want to wait and take a peek at that before making your decision.
    BRIVERS73 likes this.
    10-18-2011 11:16 AM
    Yes, I switched over after I accidentally broke my EVO. Overall, this is definitely a better phone. The screen is bigger, much more vivid, it's lighter, better battery life, and it seems to be much faster than the EVO. It also has a better camera and a less blinding flash (the EVO flash really annoyed me).

However, Google will be announcing the Galaxy Nexus tonight, so you may want to wait and take a peek at that before making your decision.
    This... As great as the GS2 is, I can't see myself holding on to this phone much longer with ICS's hardware acceleration & 720p HD screens dropping.
    10-18-2011 11:42 AM
    This... As great as the GS2 is, I can't see myself holding on to this phone much longer with ICS's hardware acceleration & 720p HD screens dropping.
    I think I'll be holding on to this phone for at least a year. If the rumored specs are correct and the Nexus has a 5mp rear cam and 1.3 front cam, I'm not in that huge of a mood to jump ship so quickly. The 720p display will be nice, but I don't download too many movies directly onto my device and I doubt that Netflix, HBO GO or other streaming services will be able to stream real HD videos until LTE arrives. And of course if 720p screens are released now, 1080p screens should be due in 6-8 months.

So I'm very happy with my GS2, especially if Ice Cream Sandwich arrives in a reasonable amount of time. Of course, a lot can change if after the announcement.

That said, if I were in the position of the OP, and hadn't broken my EVO, I would've held out until all the major announcements (iPhone, ICS) were done. So you're in a great position to decide on your next device...
    10-18-2011 12:09 PM
    At this point, with cell phones, there is always going to be another big announcement right around the corner. I went from the Evo to the Epic 4g Touch (with a brief stop at the Photon) and would like to concur with all the points noted above. They really improved upon a lot of the areas of the Evo (a phone I loved). Screen and battery life on this thing are AMAZING. The fluidity of the home screens (you can remove the ones you don't use) is great. It handles everything I throw at it, and lets me play a bunch of games at night before I plug in. I don't think you can go wrong with this device, but I'd obviously keep my eyes peeled at the Galaxy Nexus announcement this evening.
    10-18-2011 12:17 PM
    I have had the Epic 4G, Then the Evo, then the Evo 3D, and now the Epic 4G Touch. I think this phone blows them all away. AMAZING display, quick, battery life....all is fantastic! I love it..Love it...Love it!
    There is no way I am getting rid of this phone...well...not until something better comes along!!
    10-18-2011 12:28 PM
    Loved my Evo and really hated selling it. Glad I did. The biggest improvements you will notice are the screen, light weight, battery life and touch wiz. Thought I was going to miss Sense, but actually like touch wiz better.
    10-18-2011 01:25 PM
    I'm another EVO "switchee." Got mine on release day and have never looked back. I gave my EVO to my son, who was tired of his Blackberry and being the only one in the family not on Android. He had to get a car charger right away because the battery kept running down on him. The speed of the E4GT is no contest. The camera is better, the video camera takes smooth, clear videos. Also, I was a bit jealous of my wife's Epic (original) and TouchWiz. Now I have it, too. The battery life is amazing. Curious to see how long it would last, I had to use the crap out of it one day to get it to drop below 10%. With typical usage I can go from morning till bedtime without having to plug it in to a charger. It's usually at around 30% at the end of the day. I haven't used a digital camera in months, the Epic suffices perfectly.
    10-18-2011 02:54 PM
    Don't get me wrong, I loved my Evo and when I first got it, it was the God phone. That said, the Epic Touch beats the Evo in almost every way imaginable.

The only feature that I even remotely miss is the kickstand. But I'd would gladly trade that for the 10mm thickness.

And as far as Sense vs TouchWiz -- I don't miss Sense at all. TW dialer is better, and the configurable dock is great. I also do not miss Sense crashing on me.

And the 2GB app partition means I can actually install games and stuff. I had to eventually delete most of my games off the Evo because I was running so low on app space. Because of the bloatware, the Evo only has <350MB for apps. I installed way more stuff on the Epic Touch than I did on the Evo and I still have 1.27GB free. And all of that stuff is on phone and not on SD.
    10-18-2011 03:02 PM
    I switched and I am glad I did for all of the reasons already mentioned. I do miss the kickstand though.

The battery EASILY lasts 2 to 3 times longer....sometimes I think something it's wrong or it isn't reading it correctly. I thought I'd miss Sense but I don't. Touchwiz is pretty sweet. The thinness and weight are great. The camera BLOWS AWAY the Evo's.

Still, I have a soft spot in my heart for my Evo (that my wife is now using) and when I pick it up it's like an old friend. If I never had a new phone other than my EVO I'm sure I would die a happy man. Luckily I have choices. I am hoping the Nexus comes to sprint however.
    10-19-2011 12:15 AM
    I think I am ready to upgrade from my Evo...
    I had an Evo 4g from the day it was on the market and just bought the Galaxy S2 Epic. I love this phone. There have been many android phones that have been out and none convinced me to drop the Evo. Until this phone came out. My two big likes are the screen and the speed.
    10-19-2011 09:25 AM
    Thanks!!
    TBH I thought it would be somewhat difficult making the transition from an HTC device on to a Sammy because I really liked some aspects of Sense , but, TouchWiz 4.0 is not bad. IMHO, the only thing I like better in Sense that seems to be lacking in TW is the Messaging app & Email Client & both can be replace in the market(Switched to GoSMS Pro for Messaging & haven't looked back). Samsung doesn't seem to cheap out on it's internals but HTC seems to push out updates at a decent time...
    10-19-2011 09:53 AM
    I would probably be more nostalgic about the Evo if it weren't for the fact that I had to hang on to it for three extra months to get the Epic Touch. I was itching for an upgrade since March, so I was kind of sick of the Evo by that point. I'm still using it as a wifi only PMP, but I'm constantly surprised at how small and heavy it feels in my hand now.
    10-19-2011 10:03 AM
    Former EVO addict here too.

Loved my EVO, it was powerful, hefty, and good looking. Great signal almost everywhere I went.

Love the ET4G. Powerful, elegant, light, big screen, awesome battery. My only issue is the weak signal. If/WHEN that gets fixed in my area, this phone will be almost perfection (until the next great thing comes out ). Once we get ICS (official or not) I think this phone will continue to be on top, even maybe over the Galaxy Nexus...
    10-19-2011 03:44 PM
    I did...evo battery sucks compared to this phonr. but i do have my eye on the nexus now
    10-20-2011 08:22 AM
    This phone is definitely a soup up Evo 4G..This is what the second Evo should've been..too late now..lol
    10-20-2011 08:47 PM
    i can say i never experienced LOS with my Evo.... so if youre using this device for a mp3 player its fantastic but as a phone/business device, when i have to restart my phone three times in as many hours because i have an x at the top, it kinda makes me miss my evo....
    10-21-2011 07:38 AM
    To the Original poster!!!! I just joined Sprint after 12 years with At&t/ Cingular.... starting a month ago...
    The first phone I purchased threw Sprint was the EVO 4G which was the ending of Sept 2011. I liked the phone but the Camera sucked and the battery even worse. I switched to the new Epic and I can't get my hands off of it.
    I do miss the kick stand and the cool weather app HTC phones come with but thats about it... LOL...

Switch.... or wait for something better...
    I don't mind staying with this new phone for the next 2 years....
    ;-)
    10-21-2011 10:58 AM
    If/WHEN that gets fixed in my area
    Are you rooted? I am in NE Tacoma and with the Starburst ROM with LoStKernel my signal is much better...just a suggestion...
    10-21-2011 11:14 AM
    I'll second all of the above posts! The only thing I miss from the EVO is the kickstand, but since I almost never used it, it's not that much of a loss in exchange for everything else I now have. (OK, I wish the power button was on the top, too.) I was driven from my EVO by the lack of app install space after upgrading to GB and it's marvelous to be able to install whatever I want without worrying that I won't get email when there's 10% free space.

The only thing about TouchWiz that I had to find an alternative for was the lame clock and weather widgets. I'm now using the Fancy Widgets Small Home 4x1 clock/weather widget (I think I got the Pro version free thru Amazon or GetJar) and it's nice to get the info without half the screen eaten up by the now played-out HTC widget. Other than this, TW smokes Sense.

I paid full price for mine and don't regret it a bit because when my contract is up next June, there will surely be ICS phones that make the Galaxy Nexus look like a puny paperweight and as Sprint is in the process of throwing away everything that distinguished them from bad old AT&T and Verizon as a result of their iPhone lust, I may be looking for a new carrier, even at a higher cost.
    10-21-2011 12:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD