Hey guys, I've got a co-worker selling her Sprint GS2 for $375. She's only had for a couple of weeks, and it's in like-new condition. (no scratches or damage, clean ESN, etc)

This seems almost like a no-brainer as compared to spending $200 and having to sign another 2-year contract. Agree or disagree? At what price do you guys think it makes more sense to buy contract-free?
    10-18-2011 03:20 PM
    Hey guys, I've got a co-worker selling her Sprint GS2 for $375. She's only had for a couple of weeks, and it's in like-new condition. (no scratches or damage, clean ESN, etc)

This seems almost like a no-brainer as compared to spending $200 and having to sign another 2-year contract. Agree or disagree? At what price do you guys think it makes more sense to buy contract-free?

At what price depends on your own needs/wants AND how old the device is? Personally, I would not pay full price for a device that's already a year or two old, specially for mobile phones. But it comes down to your needs. In craigslist, I still see folks selling the HTC Hero at an average price of $100 (at least in my region of S. Texas). $100 is not a lot for a contract free phone. But. It's a phone that exactly two years old. With those specs, nope, I don't care if you can bring the price down to $70 or $80 on the Hero. I rather fork over $375 or lower for the GS2.

But.

Hey. I know folks that don't need much as far as phone and are willing to fork over for a Hero at that price.

BTW...your friend's pricing sounds reasonable, but I would still haggle. .
    10-18-2011 04:58 PM
    At what price depends on your own needs/wants AND how old the device is? Personally, I would not pay full price for a device that's already a year or two old, specially for mobile phones. But it comes down to your needs. In craigslist, I still see folks selling the HTC Hero at an average price of $100 (at least in my region of S. Texas). $100 is not a lot for a contract free phone. But. It's a phone that exactly two years old. With those specs, nope, I don't care if you can bring the price down to $70 or $80 on the Hero. I rather fork over $375 or lower for the GS2.

But.

Hey. I know folks that don't need much as far as phone and are willing to fork over for a Hero at that price.

BTW...your friend's pricing sounds reasonable, but I would still haggle. .
    Thanks, yeah I was referring specifically to the GS2. The device sells new for $500 at a Sprint store. At that price I'd use my upgrade and get it for $200. But for $375 it seems like a worthwhile deal to pay a little more and then be contract-free.

I don't have any specific intentions of leaving Sprint in the next 2 years, BUT... with LTE coming on board I don't trust Sprint to keep the unlimited data plans around. So it might be nice to have an out just in case.
    10-18-2011 06:08 PM
    $375 is the right price! 200+ activation+2 year agreement < trusted co-worker $375 + no contact ext.

Its clear go for it! You'll love it, its worth the extra change.

What are you currently using maybe you can sell it & make $ on the difference!
    10-18-2011 06:20 PM
    I paid $530 (w/tax) for mine with no regrets. As a launch day OG EVO owner, I was looking at seven loooooong months until I could upgrade and with the switch to LTE coming (WiMax never deployed here officially) and the absolute certainty that by next April or June, when I can upgrade or my contract will be up, there will be some new phones that make the GS2E4GTWTFBBQ look like an OG Pre with Kal-El processors and ICS on board. I'll probably be able to recoup a good chunk of my outlay now AND have had the use of the fastest, bestest phone on Sprint.

For those fretting about the difference between the $200 subsidized price and the $500 no-contract price, think of what the actual cost for not re-upping with Sprint is: about 41 cents per day or $12.50 per month. If you can find a way to economize about three bucks per week - pack a lunch one day instead of hitting the drive-thru? - then you can have your Galaxy and get out of contracts.
    10-18-2011 08:18 PM
    The other side is top end phones hold their value fairly well for the first year. $200 EVO on launch day was still fetching $250 on it's year anniversary. At that point, you are $50 ahead and a year left. Before the ETF increase, you'd be looking at about $150 to get out of the contract. Your price for the EVO ends up being $100 and you're free to sign wherever you like. Other way was $500 up front, sell for $250. $150 more to be contract free.

But, as I said, that's before the increase in ETF. Not sure how they pro-rate that now, but it's probably still a cheaper route if you know you're going to sell your phone and not keep it.
    10-18-2011 08:56 PM
    I would do it. I got mine sunday with a car charger and case for 350, clear esn, no scratches. And sold my evo3D for 280. So got the sgII for around 70.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    10-18-2011 09:22 PM
    I paid full price for mine and I sold my evo for 100 dollars back to sprint it was fully worth it and I totally would buy the phone for that price from your friend.
    10-18-2011 10:02 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD