Video proof that this battery is HORRIBLE!

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
so i exchanged my phone last night and re-installed everything that i had the phone i returned. this morning, i am experiencing similar battery drain. after 2hrs of very light use and the wifi turned off after about 45 minutes off of the charger, my battery percentage is down to 73%.

Click to view quoted image

Click to view quoted image

any suggestions to improve my battery life?
MINE
vhg3ub.png

YOURS
SC20111020-083255.png

By the looks your graph signal strength is more then likely putting a pretty good dent in battery device appears awake the majority of the time.
Check to make sure PRL is up to date , If signal is weak at majority of your locations adjust settings for social feeds- twitter , facebook to manual update, disable gps, use push email or manual update on that as well

Last edited:

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
so i exchanged my phone last night and re-installed everything that i had the phone i returned. this morning, i am experiencing similar battery drain. after 2hrs of very light use and the wifi turned off after about 45 minutes off of the charger, my battery percentage is down to 73%.

any suggestions to improve my battery life?

If I were to guess, I'd say the problem is your cell signal. I see zero bars in one shot and one bar in another shot. I think your phone is constantly bouncing around trying to negotiate a better signal. This could be why your phone is not entering a deep sleep state as reflected in your "Awake" bar.

What do you guys think?

Edit - Erm i just noticed slingbox said the same thing above me. I'm definitely starting to think that the majority of people having battery problems are experiencing it because of a weak signal in their areas. I'm betting dguidry falls into this category but he won't post a damn screenshot.

stevedeezy

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
the thing is, with the phone i returned i got about 5hrs battery life at work with bad reception and about 6hrs at home. my signal at home is bad too, but i have an airave and use wifi. would i need to turn off my 3g data while on wifi to get a better picture of actual battery performace? hopefully this weekend i will have a better idea. my blackberry tour would easily get 20hrs with heavy email/text/fb use and my old tp2 would easily make it through my work day. i really like this phone but the battery life is really frustrating at the moment.

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
If I were to guess, I'd say the problem is your cell signal. I see zero bars in one shot and one bar in another shot. I think your phone is constantly bouncing around trying to negotiate a better signal. This could be why your phone is not entering a deep sleep state as reflected in your "Awake" bar.

What do you guys think?

Edit - Erm i just noticed slingbox said the same thing above me. I'm definitely starting to think that the majority of people having battery problems are experiencing it because of a weak signal in their areas. I'm betting dguidry falls into this category but he won't post a damn screenshot.

Has to be the issue i'm in the same boat here at work i get crappy signal it's always bouncing around between roaming and normal signal. But it's not sprints fault nor the phone on this one i work right next to communication towers that interfere with signal badly. But even at that i still get good battery life but yes it does drain a little bit more here than at home where i get great coverage.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
My bust on edit.
I looked at my stats noticing steve had close to same time off charge as me so edit to post adding screen pic was needed to give him idea were I was coming from.

When it comes to dguidry,
No comment Ive preached enough on it.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
the thing is, with the phone i returned i got about 5hrs battery life at work with bad reception and about 6hrs at home. my signal at home is bad too, but i have an airave and use wifi. would i need to turn off my 3g data while on wifi to get a better picture of actual battery performace? hopefully this weekend i will have a better idea. my blackberry tour would easily get 20hrs with heavy email/text/fb use and my old tp2 would easily make it through my work day. i really like this phone but the battery life is really frustrating at the moment.

You could try to turn off 3G at home and just have wifi on and see what happens. Having a poor signal at home with an AirRave doesn't make any sense though. I really think it's a Samsung firmware issue that doesn't play nice with the configuration in your world, both at work and home it seems. All I can suggest at this point is to go back to Sprint support and see if there is anything they can do regarding your cell signal. Have your battery screen shots in hand and explain your observations in detail. It seems quite clear to me though that your battery problems are directly related to your cell signal, unless you re-installed an App that is adding to (or is) the problem. To check this, I'd uninstall most if not all of your market apps for a day and see what happens. If you're situation improves start installing Apps again, slowly, one by one, to try to find the culprit. Still, I doubt it's an App and likely signal related.

Good luck.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Has to be the issue i'm in the same boat here at work i get crappy signal it's always bouncing around between roaming and normal signal. But it's not sprints fault nor the phone on this one i work right next to communication towers that interfere with signal badly. But even at that i still get good battery life but yes it does drain a little bit more here than at home where i get great coverage.
Its not so much about signal bouncing around yes it does effect battery life to a point but in Steve's case judging his screen shot major signal lows are taking place.
Notice brief period in signal graph were signals lost activity taking place in device awake graph. They line up something was taking place bets on social feed etc trying to update.
That will put major hit on battery life pretty fast.

stevedeezy

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
You could try to turn off 3G at home and just have wifi on and see what happens. Having a poor signal at home with an AirRave doesn't make any sense though. I really think it's a Samsung firmware issue that doesn't play nice with the configuration in your world, both at work and home it seems. All I can suggest at this point is to go back to Sprint support and see if there is anything they can do regarding your cell signal. Have your battery screen shots in hand and explain your observations in detail. It seems quite clear to me though that your battery problems are directly related to your cell signal, unless you re-installed an App that is adding to (or is) the problem. To check this, I'd uninstall most if not all of your market apps for a day and see what happens. If you're situation improves start installing Apps again, slowly, one by one, to try to find the culprit. Still, I doubt it's an App and likely signal related.

Good luck.

i don't think what i typed came across correctly. i meant to say that i live in a poor reception area so i have to use an airave at home. the signal is great when connected to the airave. unfortunately, it's the 1st gen airave so 3g is not supported by it which really doesn't matter in terms of use since i use wifi at home. if the bad 3g connection is causing my battery drain at home, then i'll try turning it off to see if it improves.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
i don't think what i typed came across correctly. i meant to say that i live in a poor reception area so i have to use an airave at home. the signal is great when connected to the airave. unfortunately, it's the 1st gen airave so 3g is not supported by it which really doesn't matter in terms of use since i use wifi at home. if the bad 3g connection is causing my battery drain at home, then i'll try turning it off to see if it improves.

Ahh I see. Maybe Sprint will send you an updated AirRave that supports 3G? This could keep you from having to turn off 3G if this turns out to be part of your battery problem at home.

madkaw

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
Here is mine another 4 hrs later, facebook quite a few times, talked to the wife for 15 minutes at lunch, etc....
I have perfect signal at work and I also get about 80 percent signal on wimax. Maybe the cell reception really is the entire problem.

stevedeezy

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
the way i'm understaning the phone signal graph is that green means good signal & yellow is bad. madkaw's phone signal is mostly yellow yet gets great battery life. can someone please correct me if wrong?

madkaw

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
the way i'm understaning the phone signal graph is that green means good signal & yellow is bad. madkaw's phone signal is mostly yellow yet gets great battery life. can someone please correct me if wrong?

Thats what I thought too but I always have excellent 3g and cell at work, the graph is not green but my battery has been awesome since the day I bought it. Honestly I have yet to go a day where I can kill the entire battery and actually get some work done too. I think the lowest it has ever been was like 18% at bed time.

Phenom

Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Not sure why, but my battery life has been great today. I normally get about 9-10 hours from my phone before my batt is ready to go kaput. But today, I've used the phone normal as always and am at 11 hours with over 40% left. Only thing I can guess is that some app update helped out my batt life. Hope this trend keeps on!

Cobravision

Jul 18, 2010
Visit site
It sounds bizarre and I'm sure it's just a coincidence, but my battery life increased dramatically after I dropped it. Went from 8-9 hours to over 12.

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Com' On man didn't you get a photon or a I phone already, damn it dude knock it off! With these ridiculous threads! I'm really starting to strongly dislike you dude..Your probably that kid that missed a hug during your childhood! Or your parents divorced early, & you were that accident kid nobody wanted. Siblings are about 20yrs older, so no one had time to pay attention to you, & an all the chicks completely overlooked you until "cray hair day" but unfortunately for you that's your usual hair style. You know a real loser attention freak. take a walk to the next forum you little weirdo! There's countless threads & reviews that approves this batt. Including your source in the vid! 1 day + 15% Find somewhere your wanted...

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Com' On man didn't you get a photon or a I phone already, damn it dude knock it off! With these ridiculous threads! I'm really starting to strongly dislike you dude..Your probably that kid that missed a hug during your childhood! Or your parents divorced early, & you were that accident kid nobody wanted. Siblings are about 20yrs older, so no one had time to pay attention to you, & an all the chicks completely overlooked you until "cray hair day" but unfortunately for you that's your usual hair style. You know a real loser attention freak. take a walk to the next forum you little weirdo! There's countless threads & reviews that approves this batt. Including your source in the vid! 1 day + 15% Find somewhere your wanted...

Lmao ..dude your a joke ..you get this uptight about a freaking phone ??? Go jump off a bridge

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
On the off chance someone is reading this far into this thread after all the childishness (starting with post one, where a clock clearly records over an hour has passed and the poster tries to claims it's been 10 minutes)... Here's my experience:

Got the phone 2 weeks ago. Pretty much every day, Android OS usage has been one of the top things in the Battery Usage page, averaging at least 40%. I get 14-16 hours battery life every day, with moderate-occasional heavy usage.

The exception to this has been a couple days last week, after I rooted the phone. I odined LostKernel (stable) to get wifi tether working. That went fine, but I got 6 LOS events in 24 hours (the first within an hour of flashing). I'd never experienced this before. So, I Odined the pulled stock kernel. Havent had another LOS in the 3 days since I did that, so it's obvious LostKernel caused the LOS events IN MY CASE (I understand everyone's phone reacts differently). Stock works great for me, no LOS events ever. However, once returning to stock, my battery was wonky. Dropped like 30% on a reboot, like 5 hours battery life on light usage. I let the phone die, plugged it in and recharged to 100% before turning phone on... problem solved. Back to 14-18 hours life a day. PDANet works fine lol.

The entire above paragraph was obviously completely user-induced. In the process of kernel flashing and reflashing, I borked my battery calibration. The phone thought the batt was dead when it wasn't. A complete drain/recharge cycle reset the battery calibration, and things are now fine. You might try that too... there's a process for manually recalibrating battery too, if you look. Honestly, if my battery was REALLY draining entirely - all 1800mah - in 5 hours? The phone would be hot as hell, and it wasn't. So... just needed calibrating.

But here's the really interesting thing about my phone: I'm airline crew, so I travel all the time, all over the country. I live on the west side of Puget Sound, in a rural area with known bad cell signal (all carriers, not just sprint). We all know where the dead spots are... the hill bottoms where calls drop etc. Even here at home, I get over 14 hours batt life. I don't have LOS at all. And, the phone tends to hold calls where my OG epic, and my wife's Palm Centro and Palm Pre, drop them. Signal values (not bars but numeric values) are always better on the Touch than on the OG Epic, and other phones I've tested it against.

SO... the problems some people are having are probably not location-dependent. My home location SHOULD be the perfect area to experience every problem with this phone, and I have none. I travel all over... major metro areas, small towns, everything in between. I have not had any issues ANYWHERE, except what I caused myself with the root.

Also, I can't buy the claim that the radios in the phone are "just bad". Firmware could be an issue for some people... the way the radios talk to the OS could be an issue for some people.. but the hardware itself? Let's apply some logic: we all have the same radios in our phones. They're all built the same way, using the same design, with the same components (MAYBE different firmware but that's unlikely... and patchable). If the radios "just sucked", my phone would be performing TERRIBLY at home, and would not consistently show BETTER signal values than a variety of other phones. If my phone's radios can perform well, then ALL of these phones have the potential to perform just as well. If they aren't, it's not because of poor design, but something software based... right?

YMMV but that's my experience... which means there's nothing wrong with the hardware. Hopefully the MR fixes the issues for folks that have them.

slschmidt76

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
The battery life on this phone is just plain awesome compared to the Evo 4g I was using. I actually have had to break myself of the habit of plugging in my phone every chance I get because I was so used to the Evo always having a low battery. I can charge my phone in the morning (I am a pretty heavy user) and still have a charge till the next morning. I never have to charge this phone during the day and love it. So....if this is considered horrible battery life I want to know what you use. Epic 4G Touch Rocks!!!:)

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
One of the first posts I read from the OP was him trashing Milo's thread about how to improve 3g speeds. He said it wouldn't work without even trying it himself. It worked for me and dozens of others, too. He was wrong about that and he's wrong about this video, too. Mr. Guidry, please sell your phone on ebay and buy another HTC phone. Preferably on another carrier. One more thing. GET OFF MY LAWN! Enough already

Reactions: ihbsbA

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon