Video proof that this battery is HORRIBLE!

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Nobody cares about any of these peoples personal stories about battery life. The only one I care about is the one in my hand.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

jazzmanx33

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I agree. Nobody cares about any of these peoples personal stories about battery life. The only one I care about is the one in my hand.

Well, as a former SGSIIE4GT user, I have say that this is where a lot of people come to get information about the experiences of other user, to make sure the phone in THEIR hands is either working properly or is defective.

I made a thread about the E4GT's battery life, and while there were some great responses with some excellent advice, the thread was left with inconclusive results. We had the same types of answers; "My phone is fine, you're doing something wrong", "My phone is fine, your phone is faulty", and "My phone isn't fine, you're totally right". Overall, there were more "Your phone is faulty" responses, but since the Sprint stores around me refused to acknowledge there was a problem, I was forced to return the phone outright and replace it with another model. I won't go into detail here, but let's just say my battery issues are behind me...

As for a response to this thread, the video might be 10 minutes long, but it spans an hour's time (3:27 to 4:20), and he lost about 10% over that time, which was about what I was getting when I had the phone sitting idle in my pocket. Whether that is good or not I will leave up to you all...

jazzmanx33

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
On the off chance someone is reading this far into this thread after all the childishness (starting with post one, where a clock clearly records over an hour has passed and the poster tries to claims it's been 10 minutes)... Here's my experience:

Got the phone 2 weeks ago. Pretty much every day, Android OS usage has been one of the top things in the Battery Usage page, averaging at least 40%. I get 14-16 hours battery life every day, with moderate-occasional heavy usage.

The exception to this has been a couple days last week, after I rooted the phone. I odined LostKernel (stable) to get wifi tether working. That went fine, but I got 6 LOS events in 24 hours (the first within an hour of flashing). I'd never experienced this before. So, I Odined the pulled stock kernel. Havent had another LOS in the 3 days since I did that, so it's obvious LostKernel caused the LOS events IN MY CASE (I understand everyone's phone reacts differently). Stock works great for me, no LOS events ever. However, once returning to stock, my battery was wonky. Dropped like 30% on a reboot, like 5 hours battery life on light usage. I let the phone die, plugged it in and recharged to 100% before turning phone on... problem solved. Back to 14-18 hours life a day. PDANet works fine lol.

The entire above paragraph was obviously completely user-induced. In the process of kernel flashing and reflashing, I borked my battery calibration. The phone thought the batt was dead when it wasn't. A complete drain/recharge cycle reset the battery calibration, and things are now fine. You might try that too... there's a process for manually recalibrating battery too, if you look. Honestly, if my battery was REALLY draining entirely - all 1800mah - in 5 hours? The phone would be hot as hell, and it wasn't. So... just needed calibrating.

But here's the really interesting thing about my phone: I'm airline crew, so I travel all the time, all over the country. I live on the west side of Puget Sound, in a rural area with known bad cell signal (all carriers, not just sprint). We all know where the dead spots are... the hill bottoms where calls drop etc. Even here at home, I get over 14 hours batt life. I don't have LOS at all. And, the phone tends to hold calls where my OG epic, and my wife's Palm Centro and Palm Pre, drop them. Signal values (not bars but numeric values) are always better on the Touch than on the OG Epic, and other phones I've tested it against.

SO... the problems some people are having are probably not location-dependent. My home location SHOULD be the perfect area to experience every problem with this phone, and I have none. I travel all over... major metro areas, small towns, everything in between. I have not had any issues ANYWHERE, except what I caused myself with the root.

Also, I can't buy the claim that the radios in the phone are "just bad". Firmware could be an issue for some people... the way the radios talk to the OS could be an issue for some people.. but the hardware itself? Let's apply some logic: we all have the same radios in our phones. They're all built the same way, using the same design, with the same components (MAYBE different firmware but that's unlikely... and patchable). If the radios "just sucked", my phone would be performing TERRIBLY at home, and would not consistently show BETTER signal values than a variety of other phones. If my phone's radios can perform well, then ALL of these phones have the potential to perform just as well. If they aren't, it's not because of poor design, but something software based... right?

YMMV but that's my experience... which means there's nothing wrong with the hardware. Hopefully the MR fixes the issues for folks that have them.

When I had my E4GT, I had absolutely nothing installed and barely used the phone at all, and in 7 hours it was down to below 40%. No widgets, no extra apps (other than stock stuff you can't uninstall), Facebook/Twitter logged in but set to update every 3-4 hours, and single Gmail and Exchange account. It was literally eating the battery while theoretically doing nothing. That, to me, is a huge problem, and one that I don't have with my new phone.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, as a former SGSIIE4GT user, I have say that this is where a lot of people come to get information about the experiences of other user, to make sure the phone in THEIR hands is either working properly or is defective.

I made a thread about the E4GT's battery life, and while there were some great responses with some excellent advice, the thread was left with inconclusive results. We had the same types of answers; "My phone is fine, you're doing something wrong", "My phone is fine, your phone is faulty", and "My phone isn't fine, you're totally right". Overall, there were more "Your phone is faulty" responses, but since the Sprint stores around me refused to acknowledge there was a problem, I was forced to return the phone outright and replace it with another model. I won't go into detail here, but let's just say my battery issues are behind me...

As for a response to this thread, the video might be 10 minutes long, but it spans an hour's time (3:27 to 4:20), and he lost about 10% over that time, which was about what I was getting when I had the phone sitting idle in my pocket. Whether that is good or not I will leave up to you all...
You had a bad phone Jazz
OR
Bad battery
OR
It could of been App in hiding sucking up Juice
OR
OS = device conflict which happens to EVO , Photon etc

The fix,
When all fails Soft reset might get job done...If not factory reset will.

Sad to see you go though good luck with new toy

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
but since the Sprint stores around me refused to acknowledge there was a problem, I was forced to return the phone outright and replace it with another model. I won't go into detail here, but let's just say my battery issues are behind me...

Did you buy an Iphone? You did didn't you! :p

I thought you might try another E4GT after your upgrade reset, but I guess you didn't want to go down that road again. Understandable.

Good luck Jazz.

sndplace

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Enjoy your new phone Jazz. I do believe some people have some real issues with their phones and ran about how theres is messed up. Especially when you read some peoples post (like mine) about having no issues and lasting for 30+ hours. I think its more about how this post was put up and by whom. I personally have no issues with this great phone except for LOS twice since I got it. And the second time was recent and i was in a basement/underground floor of a department store. My Epic4G just went into roaming where as this one had its signal bars jumping till it LOSed on me. Quick reboot and its been fine. For me the battery has been perfect and I only use my car charger for wifey.

For those with these issues and can't fix it with any tips here I suggest you turn it in for a new phone to see if it helps. :)

Android32

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Anyone who thinks the battery is anything less than awesome needs to read the manual and learn how to use the device!! I have no compliants!

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
A sticky thread maybe.....a helpful one with no ET4G battery life stinks post allowed.
Full ET4G trouble shoot with factory reset being final recommendation .If that doesn't solve problem device is defective needs to be exchanged.

Now write one up Jay :)

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm just saying it all gets so confusing with all the percentages, time, usage, individual habits. Battery life seems to be anywhere from poor to excellant. What can be learned from all these statistics?

tkemack

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm just saying it all gets so confusing with all the percentages, time, usage, individual habits. Battery life seems to be anywhere from poor to excellant. What can be learned from all these statistics?

Absolutely nothing can be learned from people saying they get good or bad battery life. Proof is in the screen shots. Need the battery graph, application percentage, screen time, cell standby time (time without signal). The screens do not lie. If we have all of this info, we can compare equally

I'm TMack, and I approve this message.

titanoman

Banned
Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Absolutely nothing can be learned from people saying they get good or bad battery life. Proof is in the screen shots. Need the battery graph, application percentage, screen time, cell standby time (time without signal). The screens do not lie. If we have all of this info, we can compare equally

I'm TMack, and I approve this message.

Excellent point. A couple of shots instead of life stories.

Android32

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
If only it were that simple.
well, I just keep my display light on 0? keep all gps, Bluetooth ,wifi ,3&4g "when not in use "and get an app to tell u if u have an app thats bad.. ...Watchdog is a good one that's free. ..I have no complaints. These forums are very helpful. I've been having Android phones since 08'. This Epic touch is by far my favorate!!!

Android32

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
Understanding the task killer is a biggie too. Not all tasks need killed. Reseting em all will only make ur phone work harder. Causing the battery to also go faster.

turbomeister

Sep 21, 2011
Visit site
I've been reading every board regarding poor battery life because I have been getting 10% loss per hour while being unused consistently almost regardless of what I did or the conditions. I even contemplated switching phones. Location = Big Bear, CA

With zero changes to my phone, I traveled to Henderson, NV and somehow I'm averaging 1.5% per hour for the past two days.

Can anyone provide an explanation perhaps using the latest idea that the problem is stemming from a faulty kernel to explain my circumstances?

Sent from a Crapdroid in a beautiful bod

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Went to bed last night with phone at 90%. Nine hour later I'm at 89%. I left gps and wifi on. I typically get about 8-9 hours on heavy use days - that's with the screen brightness way down but almost 4 hours with the screen being on.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
My battery life has been phenomenal with this phone. I am running stock, never rooted. Keep brightness on auto. All of my weather, news, twitter apps are setup to sync every 3 hours. GPS is always on as it does not use any bettery like some people think it does.

My phone was off the charger for 15.5 hours and I was down to 5%. My screen on time was at 4 hours. This is an important stat as it shows if you actually use you phone or let it sleep all day. MY phone sleeps without a problem and if I wouldn't use it who knows how long it would go.

I was on wi-fi for about 75% of that time and 3g the rest. This has been the most screen on time I have used on this phone so far.

My average use during the week where I have 4G available by my job usually consists of about 2 - 3 hours of screen on time after about 15 hours unplugged keeping 4G on for 8 of those hours. At night when I plug in I usually have around 25 - 35% battery left.

Anyone who is having bad battery life or claiming there phone just looses juice when it is off has something else going on. Most of the time I do not believe it is actually a phone defect but rather something the user has going on whether it is an apps fault or bad signal. I have seen the AP news widget that comes with the phone drain the battery after people have removed it from a homescreen. This is just 1 example of hundreds that can be an issue that people do not realize.

jazzmanx33

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
...sigh... yes I did. I drank the KoolAid, as my co-workers say...

I'm not "entirely" happy with the iPhone 4S, I have to admit, but I'll say I'd give it a solid 90%. There are things that annoy me about Android as well as iOS, and neither is perfect, but since iOS is more closed off than Android it makes me feel a bit better and it's easier to determine if battery issues are my fault and not faulty hardware/apps.

I really miss that screen and Flash, tho =/ I'll give iOS a year and see what all the fuss is about.

Back on topic, I agree with slingbox. While Milo's excellent battery tips post is useful, there needs to be a separate sticky that deals with trouble shooting and maybe a checklist to determine if your device could be faulty and in need of replacement. Simple facts with advice on whether or not you should call Samsung support.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sem173