Adios, GSII

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
After much debate (with myself), and much reading (here), and much discussion (with Sprint, Samsung, and fellow GSII users), I ended up returning the phone. :(

Very sad to do it, as it was a marvelous phone, but the reception was just unacceptable. (No thanks to Samsung's crappy antenna)

I had spoken with Samsung top tier techs directly, tweeted Samsung, and spoken with Sprint tech (level 3) numerous times...and yes, reception is a known issue (Sprint admits this; Samsung denies it). When it'll get fixed (if at all) is anyone's guess. But, I decided not to waste my upgrade on a phone that won't work...as a phone (I kept missing calls, for starters...).

I do believe that the issue is only partially a Sprint reception issue, but 90% a Samsung antenna issue. Even in the very hour that I switched my service back to my BBerry, my GSII was getting NO reception (even while I was standing practically on top of my AIRAVE), and switching back to my BBerry brought back the reception, no problemo.

I can finally get my phone calls, texts, and browse the web - albeit not in as fast/pretty a setting as with the GSII - but at least I can use the phone as...a phone!

I have also decided not to get another GSII, as the issue with reception is widespread enough that it wasn't likely a "bad batch" issue.

I was even considering the iPhone 4S (really, a 2nd choice next to GSII), but have been reading tons of issues with reception with that phone as well. Seems the iPhone 4S works great on the AT&T network (as they've had that phone exclusively and have worked out the reception kinks, so people claim), but apparently Sprint wasn't prepared to handle the data issue...so, that leaves me where, exactly?

With my trusty old BBerry...until I can figure something else out.

The HTC Evo? C'mon, I can't justify spending my hard-earned upgrade on a year-old phone.

And oh, the Motorola Photon idea? The "sleep of death" issue is well-known to Sprint techs, so..no, thanks.

So what's a phone-upgrade-seeking girl to do now? :-\

Last edited:

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Nexus S? But it'll have issue too. Pretty much anything new does anymore.

I feel for you. Good luck.
Based on the many reviews I've read on the Samsung antenna issues - and the fact that Samsung denies this to be an issue, even though it's been the case in many of their phones (are you reading this, Samsung??) - I am pretty sure I won't be buying another Samsung phone ever again (unless I hear they've started using decent antennas).

Thanks, I'm so bummed. I really want a new (working) Android phone.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Sad to see you have to do this Holly. As an FYI, this popped up today Bad news for Epic 4g Touch Owners - xda-developers

It's more centered on the LOS issues, but if I were to speculate, the MR could include fixes to signal issues as well. Supposedly Sprint now has the update, but it may be awhile before they push it out for whatever reason, if this guy is even legit in the first place.

I just thought I'd throw it out there that there could be some relief by the end of the year.

Good luck! Maybe we'll see you back here one day. :)

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I think you had a bad phone. I've read thousands of posts now on this issue and it's not all phones, not even a high percentage from what I can discern. Why not try another one? I'd order from telesales and try another one. I have 3 Samsung phones in my house now whose signal are better than my Evo in a lot of places. I'm going to purchase the SGII this weekend and put it through the wringer - we'll see. I also will consider custom ROMS as there have been lots of threads that say this remedies many issues.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Sad to see you have to do this Holly. As an FYI, this popped up today Bad news for Epic 4g Touch Owners - xda-developers
Thanks, Jay. It seems speculative, doesn't it? I've received mixed info from different Sprint techs/CSRs as well...but until I read that the phone is fine with the LOS, I won't purchase another. Sad though, as I really wanted to keep it.
Good luck! Maybe we'll see you back here one day. :)
Thank you. :D I will keep an eye out on this forum anyway, and if anyone finds a way to fix the LOS issue, PM me!! I'd buy the phone again, but ONLY if LOS is fixed.

Last edited:

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I think you had a bad phone. I've read thousands of posts now on this issue and it's not all phones, not even a high percentage from what I can discern. Why not try another one? I'd order from telesales and try another one. I have 3 Samsung phones in my house now whose signal are better than my Evo in a lot of places. I'm going to purchase the SGII this weekend and put it through the wringer - we'll see. I also will consider custom ROMS as there have been lots of threads that say this remedies many issues.
I did buy it from telesales. :/

I'll wait to see what your experience with LOS is - although that's never really a determination, considering we're all in different service locations. Still, I want a resounding "It's working now!" about this phone before I even consider it. It was too much of a hassle otherwise.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, Jay. It seems speculative, doesn't it? I've received mixed info from different Sprint techs/CSRs as well...but until I read that the phone is find with the LOS, I won't purchase another. Sad though, as I really wanted to keep it.

Absolutely speculative, but so is everything until it's official, including the information you've personally received from both Samsung and Sprint. There could be things all the people with either party weren't aware of or privy to, as well as things that they're not allowed to say. In the end, we're always speculating what MIGHT happen. But until it happens, you gotta do what you gotta do. I mainly posted that to give you a thread to hang on to. See ya around! :)

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I did buy it from telesales. :/

I'll wait to see what your experience with LOS is - although that's never really a determination, considering we're all in different service locations. Still, I want a resounding "It's working now!" about this phone before I even consider it. It was too much of a hassle otherwise.

I posted in another thread about the LOS issue at XDA - someone talks about doing a ##786# and none have seen the issue again. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/126001-worth-upgrading-2.html (post #20 is where I reference it.)

That wasn't your only issue was it?

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I posted in another thread about the LOS issue at XDA - someone talks about doing a ##786# and none have seen the issue again. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sprint-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch/126001-worth-upgrading-2.html (post #20 is where I reference it.)

That wasn't your only issue was it?
Yes, LOS was my only issue...although since I had very little service, it was tough to test out much of the phone. I tried the ## thingie...didn't work for me. Tried many things...didn't work.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
How many times did you get the little LOS bug? How often? Most say it was only once in a great while -- did yours happen often?

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
HollyDay, i can 2nd the EVO 3D. Currently have one and love it. I have an Epic Touch new in the box at home. I was going to swap over to it this weekend and test it out.

On a side note. I had an EVO 4G, then switched to an EPIC 4G and never looked back. The first EPIC was known for GPS and signal issues but my device NEVER failed me. That was on stock ROM for a month. After that i rooted and put ACS Frozen 1.1.1 and it made the phone even better.

I too have been reading about the LOS issues and am hoping its just a glitch or bad unit here or there.
But i can say that i am open to HTC and Samsung Products. The EVO 3D is a great device out of the box Stock. Mine is still stock and i am very happy with it.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
HollyDay, i can 2nd the EVO 3D. Currently have one and love it. I have an Epic Touch new in the box at home. I was going to swap over to it this weekend and test it out.

On a side note. I had an EVO 4G, then switched to an EPIC 4G and never looked back. The first EPIC was known for GPS and signal issues but my device NEVER failed me. That was on stock ROM for a month. After that i rooted and put ACS Frozen 1.1.1 and it made the phone even better.

I too have been reading about the LOS issues and am hoping its just a glitch or bad unit here or there.
But i can say that i am open to HTC and Samsung Products. The EVO 3D is a great device out of the box Stock. Mine is still stock and i am very happy with it.
Hi there, IAmSixNine. Isn't the EVO 3D about 6 months old (but I suppose so is the GSII, compared with release date in Europe)?

So are you saying now you're using GSII? My device never failed me...it was reception that failed but, definitely related to the phone as I don't have the same issues with my BBerry.

You guys are gonna make me get another GSII, aren't you...? :p

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
the Evo 3D seems to be the only new phone released in the past 6 months that havent had an issue
But it's really not that different from the Evo, is it? Except for the 3D?

Which phone is a dual processor but still a working one, with no LOS? That's what I'm looking for (basically, I'm looking for a working GSII!).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000