Adios, GSII

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting one Monday, we can root and flash LostKernel together...

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Sad to see you have to do this Holly. As an FYI, this popped up today Bad news for Epic 4g Touch Owners - xda-developers

It's more centered on the LOS issues, but if I were to speculate, the MR could include fixes to signal issues as well. Supposedly Sprint now has the update, but it may be awhile before they push it out for whatever reason, if this guy is even legit in the first place.

If this is true, this is HORRIBLE news! I second the EVERYBODY PANIC joke post at the beginning of that XDA thread, if for no other reason, simply because of the fact that we are falling into the OG Epic trap last year... Samsung / Sprint promised update after update and we waited and waited and waited and they were either super late or never showed up (Gingerbread). Why must they put us through this again??? :'(

I'm getting one Monday, we can root and flash LostKernel together...

I've rooted and am now on the LOStKernel... it hasn't stopped my LOS completely, but like advertised, it definitely has cut down on the amount of times it has happened since...

I saw your post about the thread over at XDA talking about the ##786# fix... would you happen to have remember that thread (and can you post the link)? I'm having trouble finding it.

Let me know if you want any more thoughts / opinions on the LOStKernel...

Last edited:

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I just noticed I didn't post the link in that thread (I meant to) ... I will find it when I'm on a pc, but its in the general section of Galaxy S II...

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I don't get these threads....clearly the phone isn't bad in general as they have sold millions and millions have been happy. Maybe Sprint service in your area is bad or the phone you received is bad, but there is no blanket problem.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to second (or third or fourth) the idea that it really sounds like you had a bad phone. I'm pretty much spot on with what I saw in my Evo in terms of service. The fact you aren't connecting with an Airave is what really makes me feel you have a bad phone. There are certainly fringe areas out there, but the Airave should always give you a signal.

Nothing is going to be perfect, we can only dream that one day that it all gets put together into the ultimate device.

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Just posted this in another thread but I'm going to paste it here too since it's relevant. Not trying to spam I promise lol... just making sure folks reading these kinds of threads see it. I know I would have considered it useful when I was researching phones:

Got the phone 2 weeks ago. Pretty much every day, Android OS usage has been one of the top things in the Battery Usage page, averaging at least 40%. I get 14-16 hours battery life every day, with moderate-occasional heavy usage.

The exception to this has been a couple days last week, after I rooted the phone. I odined LostKernel (stable) to get wifi tether working. That went fine, but I got 6 LOS events in 24 hours (the first within an hour of flashing). I'd never experienced this before. So, I Odined the pulled stock kernel. Havent had another LOS in the 3 days since I did that, so it's obvious LostKernel caused the LOS events IN MY CASE (I understand everyone's phone reacts differently). Stock works great for me, no LOS events ever. However, once returning to stock, my battery was wonky. Dropped like 30% on a reboot, like 5 hours battery life on light usage. I let the phone die, plugged it in and recharged to 100% before turning phone on... problem solved. Back to 14-18 hours life a day. PDANet works fine lol.

The entire above paragraph was obviously completely user-induced. In the process of kernel flashing and reflashing, I borked my battery calibration. The phone thought the batt was dead when it wasn't. A complete drain/recharge cycle reset the battery calibration, and things are now fine. You might try that too... there's a process for manually recalibrating battery too, if you look. Honestly, if my battery was REALLY draining entirely - all 1800mah - in 5 hours? The phone would be hot as hell, and it wasn't. So... just needed calibrating.

But here's the really interesting thing about my phone: I'm airline crew, so I travel all the time, all over the country. I live on the west side of Puget Sound, in a rural area with known bad cell signal (all carriers, not just sprint). We all know where the dead spots are... the hill bottoms where calls drop etc. Even here at home, I get over 14 hours batt life. I don't have LOS at all. And, the phone tends to hold calls where my OG epic, and my wife's Palm Centro and Palm Pre, drop them. Signal values (not bars but numeric values) are always better on the Touch than on the OG Epic, and other phones I've tested it against.

SO... the problems some people are having are probably not location-dependent. My home location SHOULD be the perfect area to experience every problem with this phone, and I have none. I travel all over... major metro areas, small towns, everything in between. I have not had any issues ANYWHERE, except what I caused myself with the root.

Also, I can't buy the claim that the radios in the phone are "just bad". Firmware could be an issue for some people... the way the radios talk to the OS could be an issue for some people.. but the hardware itself? Let's apply some logic: we all have the same radios in our phones. They're all built the same way, using the same design, with the same components (MAYBE different firmware but that's unlikely... and patchable). If the radios "just sucked", my phone would be performing TERRIBLY at home, and would not consistently show BETTER signal values than a variety of other phones. If my phone's radios can perform well, then ALL of these phones have the potential to perform just as well. If they aren't, it's not because of poor design, but something software based... right?

YMMV but that's my experience... which means there's nothing wrong with the hardware. Hopefully the MR fixes the issues for folks that have them.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
YMMV but that's my experience... which means there's nothing wrong with the hardware. Hopefully the MR fixes the issues for folks that have them.

That should just about sum up all the issues with the phone. To users with wonky or buggy phones, YMMV!!! Don't panic!!! Luckily, there is a community of users out there that might be experiencing the same problem you are, so you can do research to see how people are responding and / or handling the problems (modding, ROMs, root, etc, etc, etc). If not, or if your problem is isolated, use an exchange and get yourself a new phone! It's may (or likely, may NOT) be worth it to wait for maintenance releases for fixes, so do research, try different solutions, and if nothing works, make Sprint replace you hardware. The benefits certainly outweigh the heartaches when things finally get working the way they should, believe me...

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
my GSII was getting NO reception (even while I was standing practically on top of my AIRAVE).

This one line alone tells me there was something wrong with your device. Didn't even need to read the rest of your post as it would have been irrelevant based on this one line alone and anything additional you would have said about the radio would not reflect a working SGS2.

Do you really think Samsung's radio's are so bad you would get a low signal connected to your Airave? Your phone probably had an issue connecting to it so the signal you were seeing was not even from your Airave and knowing you have an Airave tells me you live in a bad signal area.

After using the SGS2, Samsungs radio debacle is looking like the same crap people say when they talk about Samsung phones being cheaply made compared to other companies. This phone is built better then any current HTC phone right now. My EVO 4G had build issues, the 3D had some as well. My cheap plastic SGS2 is built better then any metal HTC phone I have owned.

People want to talk about build issues, look at the HTC Diamond. The center button was the worst on that device and touching the screen at it's outer edges would not even register. Look at the EVO line with cracks forming on the cases, bad power buttons, light leakage, dead pixels, the list goes on and on but people swear by HTC quality.....And let's not talk about their software problems to not adding drivers to their phones for better graphics or limiting the FPS to locking their bootloaders.

Because of the SGS2 I will be sticking with Sammy for my future phones.

onthehunt

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
I had the Evo 4G, then the Evo 3D and now the Samsung GSII Touch. Loved the Evo 4G but kept getting low memory issues. Camera wasn't that great and updates screwed up the phone's video capability which was disappointing. Sprint never fixed the video issue. The Evo 3G had a much better video/camera, was faster and much more internal memory. Didn't like the smaller text and weak call/speakerphone volume. The Evo 3D has LOS too. I could be talking with someone, swivel around in my chair and lose the call. Both HTC phones drained the batteries really fast. Thought I'd try the Samsung Epic 4G Touch. The screen is amazing. Phone is faster than my Evo 3D. Call/speakerphone volume is waaaay better. Battery life is very good. Camera/video is much better too. GPS does take a little longer to lock on but when I use Telenav, its directions are spot on.

I said all that to say this......no phone is perfect and I think most phones are rushed to market to meet deadlines and are not thouroughly tested. I also think carriers rely on consumers to expose any defects/malfunctions with their phones. And...sometimes they get fixed.....sometimes they don't. It's truly a crap shoot purchasing a new phone. What say ye all?

Hawaiian_Geek

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Here I am thinking about getting a GSII because my LG Optimus was stolen the other day. I have some time to decide if I should buy the GSII or a HTC EVO 3D. I can do my upgrade early in mid November. For now I'm just using a old cell phone. But now I'm not sure if I wanna buy a GSII after reading this thread. :(

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
Here I am thinking about getting a GSII because my LG Optimus was stolen the other day. I have some time to decide if I should buy the GSII or a HTC EVO 3D. I can do my upgrade early in mid November. For now I'm just using a old cell phone. But now I'm not sure if I wanna buy a GSII after reading this thread. :(

Well luckly you have 14 days to decide if you like the GS2 try it out. Check for the issues that concern you the most during those 14 days. I've had the GS2 for a month now and with all the capabitlites witht this beast i have to say the thing im most impressed with is the battery life. The Battery life on this phone is an HTC killer for sure.

HollyDolly

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I've had the GS2 for a month now and with all the capabitlites witht this beast i have to say the thing im most impressed with is the battery life. The Battery life on this phone is an HTC killer for sure.
This is only true if your phone picks up signal; otherwise, the battery drains VERY quickly (5 hrs max), looking for signal.

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
This is only true if your phone picks up signal; otherwise, the battery drains VERY quickly (5 hrs max), looking for signal.

Like I said, I live in a low signal area. I pass through dead spots all the time. I drove along the Hood Canal today for an hour. I probably lost signal 10 times (for real, not los. Just no signal). Every time, the phone regained signal when it was available.

I unplugged at 10 this morning. It's now 1130, I'm at 30% battery. I spent a good chunk of the day in poor signal. I used the phone a decent bit when I had service.

I'd be pissed if my phone had the poor battery life people complain about. I wouldn't spend a week trying to fix it myself. I'd return it to Sprint for a new one immediately. I'd insist on a brand new one, no refurb. I'd keep doing this til I got one that worked. These devices are expensive, you shouldn't have to troubleshoot it yourself. Just make them give you one that works!

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

Get the 3D....With a terrible camera that takes about 5 minutes to snap a picture, crappy low quality washed out screen that HTC uses which is most likely to have a few dead pixels, crappy battery life, terrible signal, older technology which is clearly slower then the SGS2, I would say you got a winner there......

For everyone else get the SGS2, lol

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I don't get these threads....clearly the phone isn't bad in general as they have sold millions and millions have been happy. Maybe Sprint service in your area is bad or the phone you received is bad, but there is no blanket problem.

Keep in mind the vast majority of the "millions and millions sold" are for GSM Carriers.
The CDMA coding and chipset are pretty unique to Sprint and a few other CDMA carriers. Thats where the majority of these LOS issues are coming from. Its a relatively small number of units when you add in the entire GSM catalog of devices. But the LOS is a lot when you compare it ONLY to Sprint CDMA devices.

IAmSixNine

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
Get the 3D....With a terrible camera that takes about 5 minutes to snap a picture, crappy low quality washed out screen that HTC uses which is most likely to have a few dead pixels, crappy battery life, terrible signal, older technology which is clearly slower then the SGS2, I would say you got a winner there......

For everyone else get the SGS2, lol

Interesting comments. Sounds like you hate HTC. :)
I had an EVO 3D until Friday night when i swapped over to a new Epic Touch.
But to be honest my 3D never took 5 minutes to snap a picture, more like 5 seconds. Crappy low quality washed out screen that HTC uses, hardly, its the same screen that Motorola and other manufacturers use. Its not Super AMOLED. Your comparing apples to grapes. I guess technically comparing a EVO 3D to an EPIC Touch is also comparing apples to grapes. But then again SOME PEOPLE like grapes and some like apples.
I like both. My EVO 3D has been great. Better battery life then its predesor. No loss of service.
The only reason i am trying out the EPIC Touch is to see how well it performs.

michaeljc70

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site

If one person getting a bad phone is going to disway you....you think there were no bad Evo3d's?

The Evo3d is old compared to the SGII. I now it is only a few months old, but in terms of camera, on-board storage, size, the SGII is much better.

I also prefer touchwiz to Sense.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Interesting comments. Sounds like you hate HTC. :)
I had an EVO 3D until Friday night when i swapped over to a new Epic Touch.
But to be honest my 3D never took 5 minutes to snap a picture, more like 5 seconds. Crappy low quality washed out screen that HTC uses, hardly, its the same screen that Motorola and other manufacturers use. Its not Super AMOLED. Your comparing apples to grapes. I guess technically comparing a EVO 3D to an EPIC Touch is also comparing apples to grapes. But then again SOME PEOPLE like grapes and some like apples.
I like both. My EVO 3D has been great. Better battery life then its predesor. No loss of service.
The only reason i am trying out the EPIC Touch is to see how well it performs.

I do not hate HTC, I owned the HTC Touch, Diamond, Mogul, TP2, EVO, and EVO 3D. I also owned the 6600 but I believe that was Adiovox. This is my first Samsung smartphone so I would not say I am a Sammy fan boy, actually I always thought of myself as an HTC fanboy. But if someone proves to better I have no loyalty to any manufacturer. I am just telling it like it is. The SGS2 to me is all around a better device then the EVO 3D.

As for LOS, stay stock and that won't be an issue.

I know you said on the 3D, it takes you 5 seconds to take a picture. Were you saying that as a good thing? I know I was exaggerating at 5 minutes but 5 seconds to snap a picture is unacceptable where we are now with technology.

Last edited: