Adios, GSII

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Heh heh, that was funny. I ran stock for over 2 weeks, in several bad signal areas, never one LOS. I rooted one night in DC (by flashing Lostkernel), with awesome signal, had 6 LOS the next day. Flashed CrawJr's stock kernel and file system, haven't had an LOS in the week since, in good and bad signal areas.

It's probably not rooting exactly, but some of our phones definitely seem sensitive to flashing new kernels for some reason!

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Oh boy here we go again. Personal experiences aside, this seems to be the situation ...

1) Stock Kernel / Not Rooted (factory) - Very small chance for LOS, probably most dependent on signal strength and network configuration in a particular region. Affects a small percentage of owners, but is possible stock out of the box.

2) Modified Kernel / Rooted - Increases the chance for LOS for owners who had LOS before, and makes it possible for owners who never had LOS before to experience one or more occurrences. Affects a modest percentage of rooted owners that are using a modified kernel.

3) Stock Kernel (pulled directly from a non-rooted phone) / Rooted - Same exact chances as #1

Reactions: dragonol2

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I most certainly can disagree, as I've read approximately 9,321 pages on this damn forum and XDA and I've seen PAH-LENTY of users who are on stock with LoS. If I was inclined to prove you wrong, I'd link it up... lol :cool:

lol, trus -t- ah me ......I have read them all as well and do not believe most of the people on there that say they never rooted their phone and got an LOS. I aslo do not believe after installing the stock pulled kernel it is the same as running a never rooted phone. I definitely believe it won't show up as often if at all but still not as good as running a never rooted phone.......Let me give you my situtaion and then you can see why I think the way I do......Don't take this the wrong way as I am not trying to argue here but just have a good convo based on my personal experience.

Got my 1st SGS2 and used it for a week before I rooted it, not 1 LOS and didn't even know what it looked like until I rooted my phone. 12 hours after rooting I got an LOS (circle w/ line through it).

Next day got another LOS. Sent it back for an exchange. Received my new phone and have had it for close to 3 weeks now and have not seen an LOS yet. The 2 LOS's I received on my rooted phone took place in my house so it is not like I had to go far to be in the same situation.

With my new phone, I have been in ever possible situation you can think of, from traveling to 2 hours away from my house through country areas, phone has been in roaming, use an Airave in my house, been on Wi-Fi, 3G, 4G.....anything else you can imagine. Not 1 LOS on this never rooted phone.

Now based on my situation, how can I really believe it is not related to rooting?

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Now based on my situation, how can I really believe it is not related to rooting?

Well if you only base everything on your own personal experience, which you have to agree is a limited sample, then you can draw any conclusion you want as its all yours! :p

The bottom line is, do whatever, and believe whatever meets your expectations on how your device should function and makes you happy, not what other people tell you or what other people are doing. eric3316 has a solid handle on this obviously. If anything, this LOS business will probably stop people from rushing to root their phones who probably shouldn't have been doing so in the first place.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Jay did you ever have LOS before rooting?

Nope. Not a single one. I've gotten one official LOS (the circle with the line through it), and two network connection issues since flashing a modified kernel. The LOS took place at Sea World, which I hadn't been to since I received my phone, so I'm open to the possibility that it would have happened there anyways, rooted or not. The two network connection issues took place with one at work and one at home .. two places I visit often. ;)

I say network connection issues because while it was not technically LOS, it was more of a complete network lockup rather than loss of service. My phone said I still had service and I had signal bars (no circle and line) but my PRL said "Not available" and I couldn't place calls or receive data. I suspect however that these two occurrences could have been related to the data speed tweaks I had done following Milo's instruction weeks earlier. I changed that back to the default settings last night and I'm monitoring again. So far so good but it hasn't been enough time to draw any conclusions.

Wow .. short question, long answer. Par for the course with me I guess. :p

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Not a single one. I've gotten one official LOS (the circle with the line through it), and two network connection issues since flashing a modified kernel. The LOS took place at Sea World, which I hadn't been to since I received my phone, so I'm open to the possibility that it would have happened there anyways, rooted or not. The two network connection issues took place with one at work and one at home .. two places I visit often. ;)

I say network connection issues because while it was not technically LOS, it was more of a complete network lockup rather than loss of service. My phone said I still had service and I had signal bars (no circle and line) but my PRL said "Not available" and I couldn't place calls or receive data. I suspect however that these two occurrences could have been related to the data speed tweaks I had done following Milo's instruction weeks earlier. I changed that back to the default settings last night and I'm monitoring again. So far so good but it hasn't been enough time to draw any conclusions.

Wow .. short question, long answer. Par for the course with me I guess. :p
Okay, so based on my experience and yours now, no LOS before root! Stop making excuses! lol

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay, so based on my experience and yours now, no LOS before root! Stop making excuses! lol

LOL I'm not making any excuses. I know full well that I'm using a modified kernel. I may at some point move to a stock kernel to compare, but I need more time on this one first.

bobby35ny

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
Don't sweat it Holly, the Sammy is just BAD on signal. I made many posts comparing to my wifes EVO. MANY MANY times, she had service and I didn't. I came back to this forum to see if they fixed it YET. I doubt that they will. HTC has a better signal by far.
-Bobby

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Oh boy here we go again. Personal experiences aside, this seems to be the situation ...

1) Stock Kernel / Not Rooted (factory) - Very small chance for LOS, probably most dependent on signal strength and network configuration in a particular region. Affects a small percentage of owners, but is possible stock out of the box.

2) Modified Kernel / Rooted - Increases the chance for LOS for owners who had LOS before, and makes it possible for owners who never had LOS before to experience one or more occurrences. Affects a modest percentage of rooted owners that are using a modified kernel.

3) Stock Kernel (pulled directly from a non-rooted phone) / Rooted - Same exact chances as #1

THANK YOU for this!!! So many people seem to be confusing the reasons / instances / conditions of the dreaded LOS...

If only a post could be stickied... lol :p:cool:

lol, trus -t- ah me ......I have read them all as well and do not believe most of the people on there that say they never rooted their phone and got an LOS.

Okay so I don't get this... why would they lie? What incentive would they have for making up a story for you to not believe? I mean, if this is a community to help others with various smart phone issues, why would someone make up a story to glorify a problem they are having?

Not attacking you, but I guess I just don't see your logic in not believing people when they say they have experienced a certain issue in a certain way...

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Okay so I don't get this... why would they lie? What incentive would they have for making up a story for you to not believe? I mean, if this is a community to help others with various smart phone issues, why would someone make up a story to glorify a problem they are having?

Not attacking you, but I guess I just don't see your logic in not believing people when they say they have experienced a certain issue in a certain way...

If Samsung knows of an issue that only effects rooted phones, do you think they will ever feel obligated to fix it? Need I say more......

Trust me, I want to believe people have gotten the issue on a never rooted phone so Sammy will fix the issue and I will be able to root one day but no matter what I do I cannot get an LOS on my never rooted SGS2 and it has been 3 weeks now. On my first SGS2, it only took 12 hours after rooting to get one. Prior to rooting my first one, it was stock for a week and not 1 LOS at that time either.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Update:

So it's been 63.5 hours uptime, since I changed my data speed settings back to stock, reboot my phone and did a profile update. No LOS, no voice/data network freeze, low Android OS % and excellent battery performance. My phone has been purrrrring like a kitty.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I did the data tweak on Monday morning. On LoStkernel, no LoS, no data problems, no other issues... 84 hours?

Sent wirelessly with Tapatalk.

pream5

Sep 30, 2011
Visit site
I have not yet rooted my GS2. I think it's way too early for that, and to be honest, I'm quite satisfied with the way things are right out of the box. I have had NO signs of any sort of abnormal signal degradation. I always get 4-5 bars where I live and so does my wife's iPhone. Overall reception performance is on par with all past cell phones I've owned - if not better.

The only (minor) issues I've had with this phone are:

1) Phone as well as screen were getting way too hot. I was using some cheap old Motorola micro-USB charger that was laying around my home and it was causing my GS2 to overheat.

Solution:
Generally, this only happened if I was operating my phone for extended periods of time while it was plugged in. At first, I seriously thought I got a bad phone or that it was a fairly common defect in the phone. However, I realized earlier today that I was not using the correct charger and I'm willing to bet that is the case for many people who're having overheating issues. For correct (and optimum) performance, you need a quality charger which outputs 5.0V at 1.0A rating. I have repeated my actions and usage pattern from before and phone does not overheat.

2) Some conversations and/or voice-mails have some obvious digital distortion (a tinny quality to them). The internal and external speakers on this phone aren't the best. The voice quality on my old Palm Pre was much better. I don't know of any solution to this or if it is only my handset which is affected, but this issue isn't significant to me.

3) I've heard people complain about the GPS lock. I drive around in the corn fields of the Midwest. My GS2's GPS works as well as any cell phone GPS I've used or seen in use. Sometimes, it does take a while to find a GPS lock, but I realized that if I try a couple of different GPS apps simultaneously then it finds a lock right away.

4) People have complained about the dismal battery life. I concur that I wish all cell phones had amazing 50-hour batteries, but technology hasn't quite reached there yet, has it? All things considered, I think the GS2's battery is on par with any phone of this caliber (hardware-wise). I get almost a day's worth of use with a decent amount of email, internet, app use, texting, calling, and video watching. This is on par with almost every powerful smartphone I've seen or heard of.

Last edited:

sodde

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
I bought my phone on the day it was released, I've never rooted my phone and I've had LOS twice, both times requiring battery removal to get service back. I have 2 Sprint phones that I always have with me and when the last LOS happened, I took pictures of the bars amd signal strengths on both. My 2 year old touch pro 2 has 2 bars and -75dBm and my ET4G had 0 bars and -96dBm. I've had a case running with sprint since the 2nd week of owning this phone due to the weak signal/LOS issue, and I've been fed with every conceivable excuse as to what causes my problem but at no time has sprint ever acknowledged that this is a known issue...even when I flat out asked. I'm not expecting a fix to this issue any time soon, if ever, especially when they are not publicly acknowledging an issue. I've also emailed and spoken to Samsung CSR's and they deny knowing of any such issue being brought to there attention. My theory is that the phone's antenna is not well tuned to CDMA networks and any drift into a weak signal area causes this (and other recent Samsung devices) phone to drop the signal. I also noted that when I had LOS (which I just left to see if it would recover by itself), my battery drained by almost 35% in 35 minutes. I sent pictures of this event to Sprint and after having an almost daily email from a CSR, I've not received anything for 3 days. Take from this what you will but I've seen this type of coverup happening more and more with consumer electronics because the vendors and manufacturers know that if they admit to an issue of this nature, it will cost them millions.

Last edited:

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Just wanted to post on this to say the day I bought my phone I wandered through four counties, in and out of signal, roaming, etc... I used gps without problem and never had LoS. I rooted that evening when I got home. I had my LoS the next evening when my phone was sitting on my nightstand and had been for two hours, it had not moved but it had been on WiFi all day long, eventually my bars disappeared (I had noticed the bars disappeared but wasn't sure if that was normal for this phone while on WiFi) then when I picked it up again I had the LoS circle with a line through it. I almost wondered if the phone wasn't using 3g all day and it had "forgotten" the connection.

Sent wirelessly with Tapatalk.