Long story short I got rid of my EVO3D for the Epic Touch because of the subpar camera. Still camera and video camera on Epic Touch are sensational, best I've ever seen on a phone. The screen is nice but the pixelation is disappointing since I would prefer higher resolution. Really no issue there because the deep blacks of the Touch can hide most of the pixelation which makes it more than OK - a nonfactor really. Now the bad. This is my first Samsung phone. I used to read about the GPS issues on the Epic 4G and wondered how this was possible, I simply could relate because all of my phones going back to Apache (PPC 6700 - loved it) had great - instant accurate lock.

The GPS on the EPIC Touch is abysmal. This is the impetus for this current rant. I have sat in my seat at work waiting for 15 minutes without a look, it was showing my location 15 miles away where I was about 20 hours ago. I pulled the battery and as customary I is currently showing my location a half a mile away from where I actually am. This GPS on this thing is simply atrocious and unreliable. I have gotten it to lock accurately about twice after going through a loop of reset in the more than month I have owned the phone. Got lost the other day trying to buy a phone off of craiglist because the GPS location was 1/2 mile off. Couldn't use the GPS test app because phone could not find any satellites.

Next issue - scorching heat. Every time I play a video the phone overheats to where I can actually smell the heat. It seems to be intermittent and have now started to happen when I surf the web and play games. I am taking about 2 minutes into what ever I am doing. Also, I notice intermittent overheating when I try to charge. The phone will be scorching but not getting charged. I sued different cables and have noticed that the same cable will work fine for a week and randomly overheat. I know its a phone issue because I first noticed it with the stock charger and have now noticed it with an HTC charger and another Samsung charger. Mind you they will work fine and one day just randomly not work. None of my other 4 phones do this.

LOS occurred one time that I can remember and is not really an issue. Wifi is an issue as it is weak and inconsistent. The music player sound tinny and lacks base. Games cut off regularly in the middle of playing for not good reason, sometime after a few minutes in. The bad thing is I am not very confident that an exchange will solve these issues since they seem to be common with no fix in sight from Sprint or Samsung.

I hear people saying this is a dream phone and they cant imagine having anything else. Except for the camera and little bigger screen size, I prefer my 3D which is just as fast, has 3D, and better music output among others . As soon as the next best thing, preferably HTC with at least a 4.5 inch HD screen comes along, I am gone. I already have my money on standby. Glad I have an outlet to get this off my chest. Sorry for the rant as I know many may disagree.
    10-21-2011 03:21 PM
    For GPS, make sure all 3 boxes under settings>location and security>location are checked. They should be unchecked by default, because of tracking stuff and whatnot.
    sincityk9 likes this.
    10-21-2011 03:54 PM
    It's cool linz. It's good to rant sometimes. Blow out all the bad stuff, take a deep breath of fresh clean air and then focus on the problem. Take a look at this thread ...

http://forums.androidcentral.com/spr...rk-better.html

There's a couple of things in there that could rectify your GPS problems.

Good luck!
    10-21-2011 03:57 PM
    followed what was posted and locks like a champ. Didn't have to many problems b4 but it does get frustrating when your following what it says to find out your 2 miles from where you really need to be.
    10-21-2011 04:12 PM
    Why don't you try an exchange before you do anything else? Goodness.... I will exchange mine fiftyeleven times if I need to.

Sent from my Evo 4G using Tapatalk.
    10-21-2011 08:07 PM
    I would exchange it. My GPS locks almost instantly. Faster then my standalone garmin. I have watched several 720p MKV's on my phone and it has never gotten hot. Warm, but nothing i would consider abnormal. I did have 1 or 2 issues of Loss of signal, but it was temporary and has never led me to miss a call.. You must have a defective phone. Mine is damn near perfect.

Dr.
    Just.Another.Face likes this.
    10-21-2011 09:15 PM
    Sorry to hear you're having issues. This *is* a "dream phone" for me. Fastest device I've ever held in the palm of my hand. I have no problems with heat.
    10-21-2011 11:12 PM
    followed what was posted and locks like a champ. Didn't have to many problems b4 but it does get frustrating when your following what it says to find out your 2 miles from where you really need to be.
    Same here. Locked on GPS in 5 seconds and had it to 10 feet on 7 satellites in 10 seconds from inside my room (near a window).
    10-21-2011 11:35 PM
    Ok yea it gets hot, but let's just be serious e3d speaker is HORRIBLE! You can't be serious & nh gps is proper. Maybe because its so hot your pissed enough to be fed up with any & everything try a replacement first! & Breatheeee...
    10-22-2011 03:05 AM
    And try to use a different music app. I agree the stock one sounds terrible but the Google music app coupled with a decent pair of headphones sounds really good. I picked up a $20 pair of Panasonic earbuds off Amazon that had good reviews and I was astonished the difference between a $10 pair and a 20$ pair. Great bass sounds.

As for your overheating, that is a dead ringer for a defective device. Many of us have never experienced any signs of overheating. I have tried to duplicate it based on others saying it happens and I have yet to get past warm regardless of what I throw at it.
    10-22-2011 04:56 AM
    And try to use a different music app. I agree the stock one sounds terrible but the Google music app coupled with a decent pair of headphones sounds really good. I picked up a $20 pair of Panasonic earbuds off Amazon that had good reviews and I was astonished the difference between a $10 pair and a 20$ pair. Great bass sounds.

As for your overheating, that is a dead ringer for a defective device. Many of us have never experienced any signs of overheating. I have tried to duplicate it based on others saying it happens and I have yet to get past warm regardless of what I throw at it.
    Unfortunately a decent pair of headphones will do nothing to help the fact that the speaker is so tiny (speaking from an audio perspective, no physically). My speakerphone, playing audio apps (Pandora, TuneIn), and other things deserving of great sound are less than adequate on my phone. Maybe it's isolated? I know I've seen others complain about the lack of the sound quality. Any others experiencing or sharing the same opinion of the sound speaker on their E4GT?
    10-22-2011 08:21 AM
    I think the microphone sucks when recording video.. With my palm pre I could record video in a very loud atmosphere without distortion.. But with this phone the distortion is very present. That's the only thing I hate about this product
    10-22-2011 08:25 AM
    I don't think anyone really expects the built-in speaker to sound good playing music, do they? I mean, really????
    10-22-2011 10:38 AM
    I don't think anyone really expects the built-in speaker to sound good playing music, do they? I mean, really????
    Of course I do. I mean I'm not expecting Bose level quality, but the sound was much better on my OG Epic than it is now on the E4GT. And it's not even necessarily the sound quality so much as it is the level. The OG Epic was able to still get good sound at a louder volume setting. My new E4GT? Does not get as loud as the OG Epic and sounds a bit distorted at high volume levels.

Why would I NOT expect the built-in speaker to sound good? There are plenty of sounds to hear from my phone while not ON a phone call, so that's not incentive to want good output? I don't understand your confusion...
    10-22-2011 03:40 PM
    I'm exchanging mine tomorrow. I can't believe how often I get no service and am in roaming when I NEVER was on my EVO. I'm so frustrated. And when I read that Sprint is aware of these issues, but hasn't fix them, just pisses me off!
    10-22-2011 09:52 PM
    Hey guys not to brag or nothing but thankfully Im one of the few that has zero problems with my phone. I have never had LOS once, my GPS is always spot on like to the very inch. I live in central Iowa so some places have great signal then some no signal but like I tell some of my friends around here, hey its gotta stop and start somewhere. I would seriously take a look at a replacement or if you want to go to a different phone thats your choice. BTW my little rant I find it soooo stupid when ppl on craigslist get on their and post wanting to trade my Galaxy S2 for a Sprint Iphone! Im like uh if they wanted the Galaxy they would purchase it from the beginning or its still the 14 days they can go swap it out to that, Not that that rant has anything to do with the topic I just seen it a few times the last few days and it drives me crazy lol
    droidiac13 likes this.
    10-22-2011 10:57 PM
    When I had the SGSII, I found that the GPS was problematic. But I haven't had any of the other issues listed by the OP. one thing I did find annoying was the LED light seemed to be too slow.
    10-23-2011 01:40 AM
    I am talking about with headphones plugged in. I always use high quality headphones and the stock player, at least, sounds tinny. Bearable of course but not as good as other high end phones.
    10-23-2011 11:43 AM
    Have you adjusted the equalizer? Rock sounds best to me... several settings including custom, but I agree.... it's not HTC. I need to try with my Shure earbuds...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    10-23-2011 12:38 PM
    For GPS, make sure all 3 boxes under settings>location and security>location are checked. They should be unchecked by default, because of tracking stuff and whatnot.
    Nice, I always just used gps. With all three boxes checked it locks fast.. Even faster after the first time. Samsung gps... Check :-)
    10-23-2011 10:08 PM
    i have nothing wrong with the phone. I love this phone to death. The problem I have is that the network is garbage and I hate wimax. It's pointless and can't even penetrate most walls.

I would love this phone. but I'm so tempted to move to verizon with the nexus galaxy. Sprint Please make your 3g network better!!!
    10-23-2011 11:49 PM
    Mine wouldn't lock at all. Nothing. I took it back and they gave me a new one.
    10-24-2011 12:55 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD