10-26-2011 09:06 AM
35 12
tools
    I returned my first unit after Los showed up within 12 hours of rooting. Haven't had one before I rooted. I did not root my new phone and haven't seen 1 LOS yet and it has been over 2 weeks now. I know people are claiming they have gotten it on non rooted devices but I do not believe it. I am convinced once root it will popup eventually.
    Just an FYI you do not need to return your phone to Sprint if you rooted and want to go back to stock.

This will get you back to complete stock with no root, the stock kernel and ROM and the stock recovery. This method can keep your system data files too, although it's best to format and do a factory reset anyways to get the stock apps back (bloat) as qbking describes in his video.

Anyhoo, no need to return your phone if it's already working well for you.
    10-24-2011 01:25 PM
    Just an FYI you do not need to return your phone to Sprint if you rooted and want to go back to stock.

This will get you back to complete stock with no root, the stock kernel and ROM and the stock recovery. This method can keep your system data files too, although it's best to format and do a factory reset anyways to get the stock apps back (bloat) as qbking describes in his video.

Anyhoo, no need to return your phone if it's already working well for you.
    When I exchanged my phone there was now way to truly go back to stock.

My question now is, when returning to stock, are these files something that a person compiled or is that the files that if you walked into a Sprint store they would use to re-flash your phone? I am not truly convinced going back to stock with what we currently have is the same as a never rooted device.

What I would like to see is the actually files to flash leaked from wither Sprint or Samsung.......If this is it then great, if not I would still feel better with a fresh unrooted phone.....
    10-24-2011 01:41 PM
    My question now is, when returning to stock, are these files something that a person compiled or is that the files that if you walked into a Sprint store they would use to re-flash your phone? I am not truly convinced going back to stock with what we currently have is the same as a never rooted device.
    You'd have to ask the developer to be perfectly clear on what you're getting, but I'm fairly sure everything was pulled from a stock, untouched phone. So this method brings you back to the way it was out of the box.
    10-24-2011 01:56 PM
    They weren't "compiled". They were pulled from an unrooted phone which didn't have anything done to it. The boot image (kernel/initramfs) is the original one from Samsung. The /system (factory_fs.img) is the original one from Samsung. They are what you had when your phone first came to you.

What are missing are the modem.bin and default nvram.

For the modem.bin, it probably isn't that important as you'd unlikely have changed your modem, but if it is important, you'll probably need to wait for the first update to get one, or have someone leak the real EG30 modem rather than the older EG12 floating around.

For the default nvram, you can get that by doing a ##786# reset from the dialer.

I'm referring to the one here (I didn't watch the youtube video):
    http://www.forums.acsyndicate.net/sh...re-your-system
    10-24-2011 03:31 PM
    I'm referring to the one here (I didn't watch the youtube video):
    [ACS][Odin]Completely Stock EG30 - Restore your system
    Yep same one. The YouTube link is just qbking's guide for the process.
    10-24-2011 03:41 PM
    Qbking is fine and all, but he seriously needs to hold the camera still and quit jumping all over the place with his instructions. He explains things for those who are experienced... I need chunky crayons and Big Chief Tablet pictures drawn for me...

Sent wirelessly with Tapatalk.
    10-24-2011 04:18 PM
    Oops... have you tried the Starburst ROM?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    Been using it (Starburst) for about a week... it's working great so far and reminds me of the last ROM I used on my Epic before upgrading...

It hasn't stopped the dreaded LOS, but it certainly has cut down on the amounts I get. And it was really easy to install.

I also use qbking's videos for help when installing ROMs and kernels since he always seems to review one I want to try. I don't have a problem with the camera shaking (didn't even notice it till you mentioned it) but I do find myself having to pause his videos every once in a while so that I can keep up. Not necessarily that he's going too fast; more that I want to make sure I don't miss a critical step (like the format thing before wiping cache) and mess up my phone. They haven't failed me so far though so he's doing a great job
    10-25-2011 10:19 AM
    Been using it (Starburst) for about a week... it's working great so far and reminds me of the last ROM I used on my Epic before upgrading...

It hasn't stopped the dreaded LOS, but it certainly has cut down on the amounts I get. And it was really easy to install.
    I assume you're using the LoStKernel that is packaged with Starburst? Have you tried flashing a stock kernel after installing the ROM? I've been running the LoStKernel on the stock ROM for about a week now and have had a few connection issues. Only one clear cut LOS, but I've had some connection oddities where my phone said it still had service but my PRL showed as "Not available" and I had no data and couldn't make calls.

It occurred to me last night that it could have had something to do with the data speed tweak I had done to the settings using Milo's method several weeks ago, so I moved those settings back to the default and I'm going to monitor it further. If I continue to have network connection issues I may have to move back to the stock kernel.
    10-25-2011 11:17 AM

It occurred to me last night that it could have had something to do with the data speed tweak I had done to the settings using Milo's method several weeks ago, so I moved those settings back to the default and I'm going to monitor it further. If I continue to have network connection issues I may have to move back to the stock kernel.
    From what I remember, we have the same setup... I had the ONE LoS event 24 hours after I rooted and none since. I did the data speed tweak this morning so I will keep an eye on it too...
    10-25-2011 01:19 PM
    I assume you're using the LoStKernel that is packaged with Starburst? Have you tried flashing a stock kernel after installing the ROM? I've been running the LoStKernel on the stock ROM for about a week now and have had a few connection issues. Only one clear cut LOS, but I've had some connection oddities where my phone said it still had service but my PRL showed as "Not available" and I had no data and couldn't make calls.

That's a really good point. I've done both of the data speed tweaks (3G & 4G), and yes, I'm using the prepackaged LoStKernel with Starburst. I guess that means that there are a bunch of ways that things can go wrong, huh? I haven't thought about flashing back to a stock kernel because I thought that by doing so I would lose my root access, which I need for my backups and titanium functionality (I could be wrong though).

But coupling the ROMs along with the data tweaks for 3G & 4G could be creating some stream crossing issues there that I'm not aware of. I've been pretty stable on Starburst and LoStKernel the last week or so, and my data tweaks still seem to be helping things (except in my home where both my 3G have always been less than desirable) so I'll continue to monitor their progress and report back with any issues (if they continue to arise)...
    10-26-2011 09:06 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD