AP Mobile / battery drain problems? Removing included widget?

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

And here is what I get for making several posts about my good battery life... sigh. ;)

I noticed after pulling my phone off the charger early this morning that battery seemed to be draining faster than usual. A check of "battery usage" stats indicated that Android OS was the highest (as is normal, when I had good life), but the second highest (at around 30%!) was AP Mobile. By mid afternoon, I was down under 50% battery and AP Mobile showed over an HOUR of CPU usage!

Here's the thing: I don't USE AP Mobile. I removed the widget when I first got the phone, and haven't had a problem with it since. I do notice though that there's always an AP Mobile service running (settings --> applications --> running services). When I force stop it, it just comes right back.

I noticed there was no option to delete the AP Mobile application. I downloaded it from the market, then uninstalled THAT, and AP Mobile disappeared from my app drawer... but the widget is still available in the widget menu, and the frigging service still runs, no matter how many times I tell it to stop. I am not using the widget.

I found THIS THREAD about it, for the AT&T GS2. They claim a "fix is coming".

Has anyone else seen weird behavior from this widget? And more importantly, how do I completely get rid of the AP Mobile widget? I don't mean remove it from my home screen, as it's not ON my homescreen... I mean completely remove it from my phone. I need to get rid of this service!

My phone is dead now. I'm going to install Traffic Monitor when it recharges, and see just how much data AP Mobile is using... but with over an hour of CPU use, I'd say it's pretty busy!

sfhub

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Re: AP Mobile / battery drain problems? Removing included widget

The app is in /system/app

You need root to remove it.

If you download a new one from market, it will be placed in /data/app and mask the one in /system/app, at least until you delete the downloaded one, at which point the one in /system/app will be unmasked.

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Hmm, it doesn't appear to be in there. I see a lot of the apps on the phone, most consisting of 2 files, the apk and the odex... but no AP Monitor. I'm not rooted currently (but Adao still lets me explore that folder, dunno if I could delete anything though) but moot point since it isn't in there. I can root if I need to to get rid of this... I was rooted before but ended up with 6 los issues in a day where I hadn't had one in 2 weeks previously... reverted to stock and haven't had one in the 4 days since... but apparently installing LostKernel doesn't cause that so I don't know... WEIRD coincidence though right? ;)

Anyhow, yeah, it looks like the app IS removed... now I need to get rid of the widget, which seems to be somewhere separate??

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site

This is over a 6 hour period, overnight, when the phone did literally nothing but sit on the charger:

apmobile.png

I'm guessing that's not normal data usage, for a widget I'm not even using!

skyo12

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

I had the AP Mobile issue where it drained my battery to the tune of 8%+ per hour out of the blue (after I did a battery pull). It only happened on one occasion, but I just let the battery drain completely and recharged completely and didn't have an issue afterwards.

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site

hmm, well it ran dead on me yesterday and wouldn't turn on till it charged completely, but that didn't work.. that screenshot was taken last night, after the discharge/recharge cycle.

I did try the suggestion from the AT&T side of the house, about setting the widget on a homescreen, and setting the refresh interval to the max possible, 3 hours. So far, it seems to be behaving better... it's been just about the 3 hours since I set it, and according to Traffic Monitor it's used no data at all since then.

I guess I can live with it updating once every 3 hours... certainly better than constantly pulling data that goes nowhere, and preventing the phone from sleeping!

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

I have the widget set on my screen with no auto updates and it does not use any data.....I refresh when I need to.

I think there might be an issue when the widget is not set on a page.......

D.P.G.

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site

I have the widget set on my screen with no auto updates and it does not use any data or battery. I refresh it daily.

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I have the widget set on my screen with no auto updates and it does not use any data or battery. I refresh it daily.

I think that might be my next step... I had just gotten rid of it from all of my screens, but since you can't uninstall and some might think it hogs data regardless of if you have it set or not, I might just turn off the auto update to see if that stops any issues with it.

Refreshing daily whenever I need to use it might be the best way to utilize it as a widget

davis.rob

Sep 15, 2011
Visit site

Happened to me one time. Hard to say exactly what the circumstances were, but I had the widget on one of my home screens, didn't like it and removed it, and then did a reboot. The service went crazy and started draining the battery. I did something like was suggested ... put the widget back, change the refresh to "none", and removed the widget again. Hasn't come back.

I found several other threads on different sites about the problem, so it's happening quite a bit. Apparently no way to totally remove it without root ... kind of upsetting to have such a nasty bug and not be able to remove the app/widget ... not cool Samsung!

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Actually I don't think having the Android OS at the top of your battery usage stats is normal. Mine is usually below 10% of the total with the display always being at the top. Check this thread on XDA. It's a long thread with tons of posts, but it's very informative. Turns out backing up and reformatting internal USB storage and SD card fixed the high usage of the OS for a lot of people. I didn't have this problem so I didn't try it.

"Android OS" consuming battery [POTENTIAL SOLUTION] - xda-developers

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site

Bump. The XDA thread doesn't address AP Mobile specifically. It's a separate issue, but it's good information for anyone having their OS using more battery than it should. That's what I love about these forums. Smart people put their minds together and come up with solutions to our phone issues.

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site

Yeah, I read that but my battery life is good, usually 14-18 hours so, for me, it seems ok!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site

I have no idea what I did to result in this, but my AP Mobile widget doesn't use any data or CPU at all. Guess I dodged that bug with something I did at some point. Lucky me?

rlanza1054

Samsung - SPH-D710
Aug 18, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone tried to use a services manager to stop the service from loading at startup. This way it doesn't have a chance to 'repopulated.

Rob

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
In Manage Apps>Running Services you can press menu and a bar comes up that says Show Cached Processes. I don't know exactly what this feature does, but AP Mobile shows up in this list even though it doesn't appear in Running Servives. I can tap it in the Cached Processes and then tap Stop.

joshrocker

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site

I think this may have been my issue. In an attempt to save battery life I deleted the widget from my home screen. Since then my battery has been draining much faster then usual, even killing the battery completely after around only 5 hours of pretty much non use last night. After checking my battery stats this morning it said AP mobile was responsible for 53% of the battery usage! I replaced it on my home screen and set it to refresh only 3 hours since it was the longest possible refresh time. I really do like the widget but I'm very annoyed at this bug.

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site

I think this may have been my issue. In an attempt to save battery life I deleted the widget from my home screen. Since then my battery has been draining much faster then usual, even killing the battery completely after around only 5 hours of pretty much non use last night. After checking my battery stats this morning it said AP mobile was responsible for 53% of the battery usage! I replaced it on my home screen and set it to refresh only 3 hours since it was the longest possible refresh time. I really do like the widget but I'm very annoyed at this bug.

Try turning off auto refresh entirely (open the app, press menu, go to settings, and select the top option for never), then do the same for scrolling. You should be able to remove the app from your homescreen with no trouble, but the auto scrolling needs to be off too.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie