I thought this was one of the fixes in 2.3.4? the Epic Touch comes with 2.3.4, no? I still have a shutter sound when on silent --

anyone know the exact steps to use in Tasker to prevent the focus sound and shutter? I never have liked a shutter sound, and especially now because 1.) it's loud and obnoxious and 2.) people think it's ok to move once they hear it, and this phone has a little delay..

THX
    10-25-2011 01:02 PM
    Samsung intentionally made this phone so that the camera sound can't be turned off. As far as I know, the only way around this is to root your phone.
    10-25-2011 01:17 PM
    Yes you cannot silence the camera shutter on this phone in the settings. But since you are rooted, get a root based file explorer like "ES File Explorer" or "Root Explorer".

Navigate to

system/media/audio/ui

and move the file

shutter_01.ogg

To some other location. If you want the shutter back, you can just move it back to its original location.
    10-25-2011 01:21 PM
    The Samsung Kies update to 2.3.4 apparently allows the camera to be silenced as long as the volume is silenced. I have 2.3.4 which was preinstalled and wondering why I don't have this option.
    10-25-2011 01:21 PM
    Yes you cannot silence the camera shutter on this phone in the settings. But since you are rooted, get a root based file explorer like "ES File Explorer" or "Root Explorer".

Navigate to

system/media/audio/ui

and move the file

shutter_01.ogg

To some other location. If you want the shutter back, you can just move it back to its original location.
    Jay
    Can you silence the focus sound too? Will Astro work?
    10-25-2011 01:22 PM
    ...also wondering if just renaming the sound file will disable it? Astro doesn't want to let me move it.
    10-25-2011 01:26 PM
    ...also wondering if just renaming the sound file will disable it? Astro doesn't want to let me move it.
    rename the extension from .ogg to something like .bak then. That should do it. And no, I don't believe there is a way to disable the focus currently. It's buried in the .apk from what I read awhile back.
    10-25-2011 01:29 PM
    "Insufficient permissions" -- the other error was that "Shutter.ogg" doesn't exist or some cockamamey like that.
    Thinking Astro won't let me do some of these things with some of these areas of the directory...... ?
    10-25-2011 01:36 PM
    I've never used it, but I don't believe Astro File Manager allows access to root system folders. The two I mentioned above do.
    10-25-2011 01:51 PM
    Apparently I've missed the secret...... because ES won't allow me to rename or move the file. I was navigating from the phone itself. Do I have to hook 'er up to the ol' PC? ......archaic.....
    10-25-2011 02:16 PM
    ES isn't letting me view system folders. Any help?
    10-25-2011 04:23 PM
    Make sure you've done the following in ES File Explorer:

Under settings, make sure you have Root Explorer and Mount File System checked.

Then under "Home directory", change the default to just a backslash "/"

Navigate to the folder and file I listed above, hold your finger on the file, choose rename from the menu and rename it, or move it, or blast it to the moon if you want.

EDIT - Oh I would check show hidden files too under "File settings".
    ihbsbA likes this.
    10-25-2011 04:43 PM
    .... blasting to the moon in 5.....4....3......

Sent wirelessly with Tapatalk.
    10-25-2011 08:19 PM
    I'd like it to only silence the shutter when the rest of the phone is silenced.... is this possible or will we have to wait for a CM rom?
    10-26-2011 10:02 AM
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous that they won't allow us to silence the dang thing. I've had that option on every phone, or camera, I can think of.
    10-27-2011 04:35 AM
    I think it's absolutely ridiculous that they won't allow us to silence the dang thing. I've had that option on every phone, or camera, I can think of.
    Agreed. I don't know which is worse, the stupid fake shutter sound, or the notification sounds don't mute with the main volume.
    10-30-2011 07:06 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD