Trying to decide...

isaacl

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I'm getting a new line on a friend's Sprint plan, and finally moving over to Android (still have a Palm Treo Pro and HTC Touch Pro 2, both running Windows Mobile).
I'm looking at getting the Galaxy S II, but I just wanted to find out, now that the Galaxy Nexus was announced, is there any reason to wait for it, for when it's eventually released on Sprint?
It doesn't sound like it's coming any time soon, and I'd like to get a phone soon, but if its going to be a lot better, I might wait...
Also, now that Sprint's officially moving off WiMax, am I going to be messed over when they start with LTE? Or will they still support WiMax for a while?
Thanks all!

Samsmalls

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
No you'll be fine sprints still going to support wi max phones, but they said once they get up & running with lte that they'll eventually stop production of wi max phones but this of course is about a full year + away. Coming from those 2 windows phones, you'll be most likely blown away by the speed of sgsII. You'll most likely want this device if you truly use it for a decent amount of time.

That being said you do have decisions to make if your that guy who gets new phones like me ,regardless of the contract upgrade go for it. Otherwise you'll probably just want to hang out for sprints big "lte" ready phone although realistically speaking your looking at best I'd say eight months! You can always look on craigslist for a used evo no more than 85 bucks or so maybe you could sell those two windows phones for cash or swap. EVO will most likely blow your hair back coming from a windows phone. ? is how much cash, & how long do you wanna wait?

Your kinda caught in ever changing cell phone world! A true revolution for Sprint & its network right now.

I was also wondering what kind of device is your friend using, assuming you guys are pretty cool maybe their craving a new device right now? Perhaps you could swap upgrade dates with them, & possibly use your friends current device until their upgrade is eligible. This.could buy you some time to make a choice, or even possibly place an upgrade just in time for "LTE" just a few thoughts ;)
Hope that helps a bit!

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
Good advice. My wife has an LG Optimus S right now and we're thinking of getting her a used EVO, too. It's a great phone. If you want a new phone now I wouldn't wait for one that doesn't even exist yet. There might never be a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint because WiMAX isn't a big part of Sprint's future. That's probably why the Iphone doesn't have it. By the time LTE rolls out, we will be looking at quadcore Tegra 3 phones. Here's a story on Sprint's future plans for LTE and WiMAX.
http://phandroid.com/2011/10/26/spr...e-devices-for-2012-and-lte-advanced-for-2013/

isaacl

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all.
I forgot to explain - I have my current line on a separate, older Sprint family plan, that doesn't allow me to get any Android devices.
So I'm getting an additional, new line with a friend, and I don't plan on selling any of my older phones (I do like Windows Mobile a lot, since I've used it for a while, and I have it set up correctly, but I need more than it can offer at this point).
I'm pretty technologically inclined, and I have used Android before, and I'm a big fan - I just haven't been able to get Android for my regular line because of my plan.
The only question was which phone to choose, and the S II seems like the best phone currently on Sprint, so I'll probably go for it...
Thanks all for the advice and input, and any additional input/help is also appreciated ;)

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Which you are hoping will bring us what? A Sprint version of the Galaxy Nexus? With LTE? Something different?

Just curious...

I'm not really hoping for anything honestly. I'm completely happy with this phone and plan to use it for a long time. But yeah I'd expect a Galaxy Nexus on Sprint by April, and possibly something from HTC in the EVO line.

I think we won't see any top end smartphone releases from Sprint until then though, and they'll likely be equipped for LTE. Sprint needs to raise 5 - 7 billion dollars for their Network Vision project, they just cut their advertising budget, and they bet the farm on the iPhone. I'd think they're going to be tapped out on funds for new device releases for awhile.

GCMS

Sep 22, 2011
Visit site
It's going to be hard to beat the battery on this phone. Out of everything great about this phone for number 1 is the battery life.

isaacl

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Sounds unanimous - thanks all for the input ;)
And the batter part sounds especially awesome, because I've always outgrown the batteries that come with the phones I've had. Maybe this one will be different...

dragonol2

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Sounds unanimous - thanks all for the input ;)
And the batter part sounds especially awesome, because I've always outgrown the batteries that come with the phones I've had. Maybe this one will be different...

Yeah just as long as you follow the typical battery management tips you should be fine. Welcome to the community!