When I answer a call or make a call and move out of the call screen while on the call, i.e. to contacts, email, text, etc., and tap the phone icon to go back to the active call screen, I get the dial pad screen. I can't get back to the call screen to end the call. This is really bad when leaving messages. This is a business phone and am frustrated I can't end a call. How can I end the call?
    10-28-2011 12:46 PM
    When I answer a call or make a call and move out of the call screen while on the call, i.e. to contacts, email, text, etc., and tap the phone icon to go back to the active call screen, I get the dial pad screen. I can't get back to the call screen to end the call. This is really bad when leaving messages. This is a business phone and am frustrated I can't end a call. How can I end the call?
    You will need to use taskbar pull down.
    onthehunt and rlanza1054 like this.
    10-28-2011 01:32 PM
    Thank you! I would never have known to do that. I noticed the notification bar was green while on a call but did not know to pull it down to end the call. Had HTC phones before and when I tapped the phone icon, it always went back to the call screen. Samsung's process to end a call is not user friendly. They should reprogram this function like HTC.
    10-28-2011 03:10 PM
    Thank you! I would never have known to do that. I noticed the notification bar was green while on a call but did not know to pull it down to end the call. Had HTC phones before and when I tapped the phone icon, it always went back to the call screen. Samsung's process to end a call is not user friendly. They should reprogram this function like HTC.
    NP
    I came from HTC as well but finding ET4G way a little more user friendly.
    Example,
    I leave keypad during call open email then pulldown giving me option to return back to keypad , mute , speaker & End.
    I select speaker push pulldown up open emails displayed making for easy communication.
    rlanza1054 likes this.
    10-28-2011 03:31 PM
    It always takes some time when adjusting to a new UI. Samsung's touch wiz is awesome...you gotta choose to immerse yourself in it.
    (I came from Blackberry...huge transition for me but well worth it)
    10-29-2011 02:35 PM
    Wow, I just played around with it and until I did an exit to another app or Home screen, I could not get what you were talking about. I had the dial pad on with a 'end call' button.

Only when you exited out of the phone app to go anywhere else did I encounter what your original question was about.

That was sure a great tip 'Slingbox', I'm sure this is going to help more than a few of us!

Great call!

Thanks!

Rob
    10-29-2011 04:06 PM
    If you go to settings->accessability, you can configure the power button to be a physical end-call button. I always do this in various Android phones because I don't feel like hunting for a soft-button to end a call, I want to end it right away.
    onthehunt likes this.
    10-29-2011 08:42 PM
    Thanks sfhub! Great tip! I configured my power button. Think I'll like using that better too. Now if there was a way to answer a call with tapping a button, that would be great. I hate the slider to answer a call.
    10-30-2011 01:03 AM
    I am going to have to try the power button shortcut (like that idea). I agree about being able to answer a call easier by tapping (not sliding). If anyone finds a shortcut, please post. I also think there should be a simpler step to "calling" someone. Too many steps for my liking.
    10-30-2011 04:08 PM
    You can make a page of direct dial shortcuts.
    10-30-2011 10:14 PM
    I did the power-button-to-hang-up also. Takes way too long to end a call otherwise. (Yeah, I'm that impatient.)
    10-31-2011 03:10 PM
    If you go to settings->accessability, you can configure the power button to be a physical end-call button. I always do this in various Android phones because I don't feel like hunting for a soft-button to end a call, I want to end it right away.
    How do you turn the screen on then if you are in the middle of a call? My phone the screen shuts off. If I need to look at something (internet, phone #, press a dialpad key), I don't see how I could do it if pressing the power button ends the call.
    10-31-2011 03:49 PM
    How do you turn the screen on then if you are in the middle of a call? My phone the screen shuts off. If I need to look at something (internet, phone #, press a dialpad key), I don't see how I could do it if pressing the power button ends the call.
    I'm guessing your talking on speakerphone.
    Only way to wake up screen in that situation is to push volume key up or down then screen will wake which is why I don't use power key end setting.
    10-31-2011 04:00 PM
    Your screen should only be off is close to your face, which the proximity sensor handles. When you move the phone away the screen should come back on. If yours is not doing this, I would guess that your phone's proximity sensor has a problem.

Edit - Or what Slingbox said. I didn't think about speakerphone.
    10-31-2011 04:00 PM
    Your screen should only be off is close to your face, which the proximity sensor handles. When you move the phone away the screen should come back on. If yours is not doing this, I would guess that your phone's proximity sensor has a problem.

Edit - Or what Slingbox said. I didn't think about speakerphone.
    As I understand it, the screen timeout is what makes the screen shut off during a call. You are right that if you have the timeout set at 30 seconds and after 15 pull the phone away from your face, the screen will come back on. If it is past 30, it will not.
    10-31-2011 04:46 PM
    As I understand it, the screen timeout is what makes the screen shut off during a call. You are right that if you have the timeout set at 30 seconds and after 15 pull the phone away from your face, the screen will come back on. If it is past 30, it will not.
    I just tested it. I have my screen set to turn off at 30 seconds. I placed a call, was on the call for 2 minutes, and when I pulled the phone away from my ear the screen came on. If yours is not doing this, there is something wrong with your proximity sensor or you have some setting or app interfering with it.
    10-31-2011 06:11 PM
    I just tested it. I have my screen set to turn off at 30 seconds. I placed a call, was on the call for 2 minutes, and when I pulled the phone away from my ear the screen came on. If yours is not doing this, there is something wrong with your proximity sensor or you have some setting or app interfering with it.
    I did just try it and it worked as you said. I have had it not work though for sure. I am not sure why. I wonder if lighting has anything to do with it?
    11-01-2011 11:19 AM
    sfhub - is the page of direct dial shortcuts using touching the contacts and having the "favorites" show or is this another way?
    11-02-2011 12:08 PM
    I disabled the "end call with power button" feature because if the screen sleeps while using speakerphone, there is no way to turn it on without ending the call.
    11-02-2011 12:10 PM
    I disabled the "end call with power button" feature because if the screen sleeps while using speakerphone, there is no way to turn it on without ending the call.
    Press the volume button(s).

With the black matte case from tpu-cases.com it actually makes everything much easier. There is a cutout for the power button essentially making it a recessed button and not something you'll hit by accident when pressing the volume button(s).
    Cobravision likes this.
    11-02-2011 12:21 PM
    sfhub - is the page of direct dial shortcuts using touching the contacts and having the "favorites" show or is this another way?
    Tap-and-hold on your work space just like adding a widget, choose shortcuts, choose direct dial.

It'll bring up a list of every person/# in your contacts. Select the person/contact # you want. It will place a shortcut in your work area.

When you tap that icon, it will directly dial the person/# with no further fuss.
    11-02-2011 12:27 PM
    As previous folks mentioned, when you are on the phone using the earpiece, it uses the proximity sensor to decide whether the screen should be on or off.

When you are on speakerphone it uses the default screen timeout.

To wakeup the screen after it has turned off to save power (while on speakerphone) use press any Volume Button. It takes a few tries to retrain your brain to press volume button to wake up the screen instead of power button, but most folks can do it

I do wish Samsung would implement a "shake" to turn on the screen when in speakerphone and the screen has turned off.
    11-02-2011 12:31 PM
    I do wish Samsung would implement a "shake" to turn on the screen when in speakerphone and the screen has turned off.
    That would be nice except when in shaky environment.
    Before that drive to work etc you would have to disable setting or screen would be turning on & off all the time.
    Maybe a finger tap like voice talk has would be more user friendly.
    11-02-2011 01:54 PM
    I'm suggesting it only be active when speakerphone is active and your phone's screen went out, not all the time.

You can configure a more involved shake or just change it turn down turn up. Button free way to wake the phone that is on speakerphone with the screen out is the point. I'm sure they can come up with a unique way that avoids turning on by accident and even if it did turn on by accident while your speakerphone was on and you were talking to somebody, wouldn't be the end of the world.
    11-02-2011 09:52 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD