have a ?

bigboy96

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
i just got the sprint galaxy s 2 but my other sprint phone was a htc hero now my ? is i rooting the phone is just about the same way right and if i wanted to keep everything the same but just root it for wifi teathering can i do that. one last thing what are the rom that are out now and do i use the same sdk tool to load rom

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
i just got the sprint galaxy s 2 but my other sprint phone was a htc hero now my ? is i rooting the phone is just about the same way right and if i wanted to keep everything the same but just root it for wifi teathering can i do that. one last thing what are the rom that are out now and do i use the same sdk tool to load rom

Rooting a Samsung phone is not the same as rooting an HTC device. Read the stickies in the development sections. It is very easy to root this device if you take a minute or two to read.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
As Eric said, it's different on Samsung phones. Samsung puts the system and recovery together on the same partition, so there are really two ways to root on this phone. 1) Flash a custom rooted kernel or 2) Flash a stock kernel that is packaged with Clockwork Recovery Mod, then use CWM to flash SU.zip (SuperUser). To root you use a program called Odin on your PC. As suggested, read the rooting sub-forum and the development forum at XDA for this phone to get familiar with the process.

bigboy96

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
have a few more questions right now as i speak i am at odin3 upper right hand corner it says set partitions then right below it its in yellow 0:[ coms] and on my phone has the android guy and it says downloading but nothing going

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
have a few more questions right now as i speak i am at odin3 upper right hand corner it says set partitions then right below it its in yellow 0:[ coms] and on my phone has the android guy and it says downloading but nothing going

Be careful with Odin if you've never used it before. If you don't do it right, you can brick your phone with it. I don't think I've ever seen this "set partitions" thing you mentioned so I don't know what to make of that.

I recommend you thoroughly review this [GUIDE] Using ODIN to flash your Epic 4G Touch (windows only) - xda-developers before you go flashing anything.

A few key points ...

1) If you haven't done so already, you need to install Kies, so that your computer has the necessary drivers to work with Odin

2) You will only be flashing .TAR files in Odin (.tar.md5 is okay too .. the md5 is just a checksum) under the PDA section in Odin

3) The ONLY boxes you want checked are Auto Reboot and PDA

4) Check the PDA box, click the PDA button and locate the TAR file on your computer you're going to flash

5) Boot your phone in download mode (Volume Down and Power at the same time), volume up to confirm then plug your phone into your computer. If Odin recognizes your phone the far left ID:COM box will light up yellow and show a COM Number (the number doesn't matter).

Assuming you've done all of the above you're ready to hit the Start button and hold your breath while you briefly panic wondering if you if did something wrong. :p

Again, take your time and make sure you have a handle on it. It's easy to use, but also easy to brick your phone if you don't follow the instructions.

bigboy96

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
ok i have read what you have said and did it but i am still stuck.after i got it to pass on the odin and everything went ok on that part what do i do next

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
also i have another question the sprint galaxy s 11 is the same as this epic 4g

The full name of the phone is actually the Sprint Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch.

Don't think rooting your phone just to tether is a good idea, I think I read an Article lately that all wireless carriers block you from doing so.

bigboy96

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
i did it on my htc hero and it work greati evenran my desk top off of itwith usb tethering and its was ok i just need help finding out if i rooted this phone yet when i look into about phone the kernel version is 2.6.35.7 lostkernel d710.10 is hardware version

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
i did it on my htc hero and it work greati evenran my desk top off of itwith usb tethering and its was ok i just need help finding out if i rooted this phone yet when i look into about phone the kernel version is 2.6.35.7 lostkernel d710.10 is hardware version

Looks like you flashed the LoStKernel, which is pre-rooted, so yes you should be rooted. To confirm, open your App Drawer, and if you see an App called "Superuser", you are rooted.

However, if you're used to then jumping out to the market and downloading WiFi Tether, you're not going to find it. Sprint recently had Google block it. Yes, our phones have been censored. You can search for it and find it on a PC, but not your phone. You can still get it from here though Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

bigboy96

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
jaywill72 i got thanks and on the market with tethering it did get it from market its called open garden wifi tether and it works fine i use it for my ipad

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey