I've had a Blackberry Bold for about 5 years now (upgrading every year) and use it primarily for business. I have 6 business email accounts that are used heavily (through google apps for business). I need my emails to come through immediately with different sounds for each email account (and text) and be able to respond immediately to customers.

The phone is extremely user friendly and email/text friendly. It seems like BB just hasn't really kept up to date with the market though and the phone lags, freezes, etc.

I type a lot, text/bbm a lot, browse the web.

I tried the Evo 4G a while ago and couldn't take it because it was hard to type and the battery life was miserable. I was told "turn off 4G, 3G, GPS, wireless, brightness level to 40%, don't use too many apps, etc, etc. and you'll have good battery life". Well, I'm not switching to a substantially bigger phone to turn off all the features that I'm paying for!

So would you guys switch to the Galaxy S II given the use that I have for a phone?
    10-31-2011 01:41 PM
    Coming from a hard-keyboard (Pre) to the GSII, it's taken me a while to get used to the on-screen keyboard(s). But, the swipe keyboards are impressive, and I'm getting better (read: liking them more and more).

The GSII's battery life seems to be pretty consistent with other devices, and ultimately it all depends on usage. You can get something like Tasker, Impel or Llama to automatically adjust your settings to get crazy-good battery life.

I have the screen brightness down to around 30%, it's plenty bright enough 98% of the time. You will love the GSIIs screen coming from a Bold.

Not sure about the different tones for different email accounts, but others I'm sure will chime in (haha) on this.

While I can't make your decision for you, I can say I am very glad I switched. Similar to you, I couldn't take the hardware any longer.

Good luck.
    10-31-2011 01:58 PM
    I've had a Blackberry Bold for about 5 years now (upgrading every year) and use it primarily for business. I have 6 business email accounts that are used heavily (through google apps for business). I need my emails to come through immediately with different sounds for each email account (and text) and be able to respond immediately to customers.

The phone is extremely user friendly and email/text friendly. It seems like BB just hasn't really kept up to date with the market though and the phone lags, freezes, etc.

I type a lot, text/bbm a lot, browse the web.

I tried the Evo 4G a while ago and couldn't take it because it was hard to type and the battery life was miserable. I was told "turn off 4G, 3G, GPS, wireless, brightness level to 40%, don't use too many apps, etc, etc. and you'll have good battery life". Well, I'm not switching to a substantially bigger phone to turn off all the features that I'm paying for!

So would you guys switch to the Galaxy S II given the use that I have for a phone?
    GS2 is a great choices providing Best battery life , Hardware & construction.
    Device performance is buttery smooth & fast thanks to Exynos processor it holds.

Now to the down side for some,
    As I'm sure you know there are a few users reporting LOS = Loss of signal.
    Ive owned mine since release day never had issue but do believe its out there....why for some have it others don't hasn't truly been answered.
    Best bet give device a test drive if LOS isn't issue you will be a very very happy X-Blackberry user.

Recommendation,
    Hold off on root until true kernel source is released and or MR release becomes available.
    10-31-2011 01:58 PM
    In August 2011 I upgraded my blackberry 9650 to the Bold 9930. But when the Galaxy SII came out, I had to have it. I did a buy back with Best Buy of my Bold and bought SII outright (had to add some money). I am super thrilled with this phone and the entire Android experience. It is more than I expected and it only took me two days to get used to the operation. I now have about 40 apps loaded and am having so much fun. Do it.
    10-31-2011 02:05 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD