12-03-2011 04:09 PM
45 12
tools
    Turning off sensor aiding made much better!!!
    11-07-2011 07:37 PM
    my gps doesn't work at all. Only works when using wireless networks and if my wifi is on at home.

-Sensor aiding is turned off
    -Tried GPS test and GPS status and toolback to clear gps and update agps - still doesn't work
    - tried to reboot

May have to take exchange or get a new phone since the gps does not work at all. Always is blinking in the notification bar. It's ashame bc I haven't had any LOS problems yet.

Is there anything else i could try?
    11-13-2011 10:13 AM
    I find encrypting the phone messes up the GPS also.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk
    11-13-2011 11:46 AM
    my gps doesn't work at all. Only works when using wireless networks and if my wifi is on at home.

-Sensor aiding is turned off
    -Tried GPS test and GPS status and toolback to clear gps and update agps - still doesn't work
    - tried to reboot

May have to take exchange or get a new phone since the gps does not work at all. Always is blinking in the notification bar. It's ashame bc I haven't had any LOS problems yet.

Is there anything else i could try?
    I would exchange your phone.

Sent wirelessly with Tapatalk.
    11-13-2011 12:36 PM
    I would exchange your phone.

I'd have to agree with this. When you run GPS test, does it pick up any satellites?

11-13-2011 12:41 PM
    I have noticed when the battery starts getting low then GPS starts to have locking issues. I just plug in the car charger and its right back on track.

See if that helps any and post your findings

Thanks
    11-14-2011 04:05 AM
    I'm so to have been unclear. I think the GPS works just fine. I was roaming, and I think that had to do with it since the GPS first finds the tower then the GPS signal. I have never had a problem before, and I've had ONE LoS in the 12 days I've owned the phone, possibly tied to the LoStkernel that I applied. As for the phone hacking, my speeds were incredible before (I posted pics) but now they're just faster. The hack wasn't needed, but anything that tweaks for improved performance without too much deep level programming is something I will try. Clearly that "hack" is working because it's a server that's not being used as much.

I will travel to the same area tomorrow and try my GPS then, to see if it was a quirk, or something predictable/replicable. If the latter, I may concur with there being an issue....however, I doubt it.
    Which hack did you use to increase your data speeds?
    11-14-2011 04:20 AM
    I'd have to agree with this. When you run GPS test, does it pick up any satellites?

I contacted sprint about my gps not getting a lock to see if i could get a credit or have it tested and exchanged or whatever other options I had. They reset some things or settings with my account in their system and seemed to push a profile update (which honestly should have no effect on the gps). After this and a reboot, it actually started to pick up some satellites (I was indoors) but couldn't lock onto my location without wifi being on. Without wifi, it still struggled indoors (could just be a weak gps signal as there was some gps satellites showing on gps test but none were at great strength to get a lock)

So I checked it today when I was walking to the train and it tracked me to the train station. It also found me at my work near center city (this was using google maps). Maybe, previously it wasn't using 3g / location to get the initial lock to help the satellites (the setting was always on because it could find me using wifi with no problem).

Hopefully it continues to work
    11-14-2011 09:19 AM
    The only thing one has to remember is to NEVER get yourself in a position where you MUST rely on an accurate and timely reading of the GPS system to get you where you have to go or get you out of where you are.

I've started posts on 2 different forums on this topic and that's the bottom line. I've done everything mentioned in this thread including reboot, clear AGPS, uncheck the sensor setting, everything. The phone has an obvious problem picking up GPS signals. My old HTC Evo 4G was a monster at finding and holding the GPS signal. It never missed a beat no matter where I was, or where I held the phone in the car.

Other than that issue, I really like this phone and all that it does so well.
    11-14-2011 09:59 AM
    The only thing one has to remember is to NEVER get yourself in a position where you MUST rely on an accurate and timely reading of the GPS system to get you where you have to go or get you out of where you are.

I've started posts on 2 different forums on this topic and that's the bottom line. I've done everything mentioned in this thread including reboot, clear AGPS, uncheck the sensor setting, everything. The phone has an obvious problem picking up GPS signals. My old HTC Evo 4G was a monster at finding and holding the GPS signal. It never missed a beat no matter where I was, or where I held the phone in the car.

Other than that issue, I really like this phone and all that it does so well.
    You. Must. Return. The. Phone.
    Get a different one, your gps is broken.

11-14-2011 10:37 AM
    Which hack did you use to increase your data speeds?
    It's in the stickies I think.... search increase data speeds....

11-14-2011 10:38 AM
    My launch day phone wouldn't pick up GPS. The first few days it seemed to but very badly (like accuracy within 2500 METERS!!!) I took it in (two days past my 14 day return window) and they replaced it under the insurance program.

Since then it has been ok but I still have times it won't lock. I restart it and it's fine. I never had a problem like this with my EVO.
    11-14-2011 11:41 PM
    Here is my 2 cents. It sometimes takes a while for my GPS to lock. Sometimes a minute, other times I can drive for miles without it locking. I had the same problem on my HTC Hero.

I do not believe it is a faulty chip as some have stated. If it works sometimes perfectly, it is most likely software.

Here is what you can do to try and get it to work. Some may do nothing:

-Turn off sensor assist. This is only useful if you are going into a tunnel/mountain range, pedway, etc.
    -Get GPS Toolbox or Status and Update the AGPS data. This often works for me.
    -Update your profile and PRL under Settings->About Phone->Updates regularly
    -Restart your phone.

It is extremely annoying not getting a lock, especially when you really need it. GPS status will tell you how many satellites are in view which is useful.

As an alternative, try turning on Wifi as a last resort and that combined with cell towers will get you in the ballpark at least.

I wish there was a way to have the AGPS data updated automatically via an app as that seems to help me most of the time.
    11-24-2011 09:56 AM
    I guess GPS Status has an autodownload option at a set interval. I am going to try that and see if it helps,

Here is my 2 cents. It sometimes takes a while for my GPS to lock. Sometimes a minute, other times I can drive for miles without it locking. I had the same problem on my HTC Hero.

I do not believe it is a faulty chip as some have stated. If it works sometimes perfectly, it is most likely software.

Here is what you can do to try and get it to work. Some may do nothing:

-Turn off sensor assist. This is only useful if you are going into a tunnel/mountain range, pedway, etc.
    -Get GPS Toolbox or Status and Update the AGPS data. This often works for me.
    -Update your profile and PRL under Settings->About Phone->Updates regularly
    -Restart your phone.

It is extremely annoying not getting a lock, especially when you really need it. GPS status will tell you how many satellites are in view which is useful.

As an alternative, try turning on Wifi as a last resort and that combined with cell towers will get you in the ballpark at least.

I wish there was a way to have the AGPS data updated automatically via an app as that seems to help me most of the time.
    11-24-2011 10:17 AM
    It's in the stickies I think.... search increase data speeds....

so even though my wife's, brother's, and my phone has the exact GPS problem, you are insinuating that we all got phones that go against the grain? Yeah right. There is a problem with this GPS. I wish people wouldn't think that just because their phone works, that somehow everyone else's problem doesn't Exist. You are at a different elevation, different towers, etc. If only some phones are working well, then you still have a bad design. The EVO4G was so much better. You all should complain to sprint instead of having to Download GPS testers, reset agps, download agps, reboot your phone, hold the phone above your head, hold your breath, and count to 10 just to HOPEFULLY get a GPS lock
    11-25-2011 08:51 AM
    I am not sure if it is my imagination but the app GPS Status and Toolbox improved the accuracy of the GPS - I have used GPS Test to and cleared AGPS before but the GPS immediately found me to the specific area?? Hope this continues. (I may even donate)
    11-25-2011 11:20 AM
    I am not sure if it is my imagination but the app GPS Status and Toolbox improved the accuracy of the GPS - I have used GPS Test to and cleared AGPS before but the GPS immediately found me to the specific area?? Hope this continues. (I may even donate)
    Yesterday I couldn't get a lock and updated the AGPS data using GPS toolbox and the lock came within seconds. I set it to download AGPS data automatically every day. Today it locked right away. I will keep testing, but it does seem to help.

As I understand it, the AGPS data helps it locate satellites faster. Maybe the GPS chip works, but isn't the greatest and needs the updated GPS data.

According to Wikipedia:

Assisted GPS, generally abbreviated as A-GPS or aGPS, is a system which can, under certain conditions, improve the startup performance, or time-to-first-fix (TTFF) of a GPS satellite-based positioning system
    11-25-2011 01:59 PM
    Yesterday I couldn't get a lock and updated the AGPS data using GPS toolbox and the lock came within seconds. I set it to download AGPS data automatically every day. Today it locked right away. I will keep testing, but it does seem to help.

As I understand it, the AGPS data helps it locate satellites faster. Maybe the GPS chip works, but isn't the greatest and needs the updated GPS data.

According to Wikipedia:

Assisted GPS, generally abbreviated as A-GPS or aGPS, is a system which can, under certain conditions, improve the startup performance, or time-to-first-fix (TTFF) of a GPS satellite-based positioning system
    Yep, no surprises there. That is exactly what agps does.
    11-25-2011 02:38 PM
    I am definitely having this problem with my phone that is less than a week old... Sometimes have a signal, then driving down the road and it loses signal. No roaming or anything. If I hold my GPS forward in front of the roof in the windshield, the signal comes back.

I never had to worry about where in the car I had my GPS with my EVO or Nexus S 4G.

This is not acceptable performance.
    11-28-2011 06:39 PM
    Pulling the battery worked for me too. Before pulling it I tried powering off and on the phone, turning off sensor aiding, clearing and updating AGPS data, but the most I would get would be two satellites. After I pulled the battery, 5 - 7 satellites pretty much immediately.

The software on these phones is not the most stable stuff in the world, is it?
    12-03-2011 04:09 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD