Horrendous battery performance with usage

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Check out my recent charts that shows the ubber drastic battery drain when using the phone. I am literally draining the battery by 2 percent per 1 minute of usage. As discovered from forums other than this one the phone already has a OS bug that keeps the phone awake. That along with poor reception performance and maybe a cheap and easily drained battery almost makes the phone unusable.

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
1. "Your" phone, not "the" phone. It's been explained more times than anyone can count on here that your experience is NOT typical of this phone. Are there some bugs affecting some units? Of course. Name any phone, or any piece of technology in general, that hasn't had some bugs at launch. You seem much more interested in complaining about them then solving them though. Why would any sane person, experiencing the rash of issues you claim to have had, not have switched phones weeks ago?

2. "Poor reception" - false. Perhaps poor coverage in your area (although I unfortunately frequent Houston, and I don't have any issues), but the notion that the phone was just designed with an inferior radio is silly. I live in rural western WA, where there's barely any signal period, with ANY carrier, and the reception on this phone at least equals, and usually beats, every other Sprint phone I've compared it to. (And yes I'm talking numerical reception values, not "bars".) If the phone was designed with a poor radio or antenna, NONE OF US would have good reception. Clearly, the radio and antenna designs are fine.

3. "Cheap battery" - also clearly false, when most of us are getting battery life ranging from very adequate to outstanding. Perhaps you got a bad one, but nothing wrong with the design.

Drummerboy1975

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
Where ar eyou getting poor coverage or reception? Mine works great until I go into a metal building such as a protable building or work shop, and then I have nothing, but that's with any phone.

These are great phones IMHO.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
The two images that were screen shot from an app are from a little after 2 and a little after 7. One shows the battery at 79%, the other at 47% meaning a net loss of 32% over just short of 5 hours. While I agree that 6% is kind of high for this device, that second graph looks like the battery shot up quite a bit over that time, meaning the phone is being used. In the event I use my phone a lot 6% is very normal, especially for graphic intensive games or heavily streaming data.

Additionally, the 79% seems to occurred after the phone was off the charger for 5hr 50m (again this is where standard Android graphs are a lot less deceiving). If that is the case, the 3.5% discharge per hour for nearly 6 hours is pretty consistent with my phone.

Couple of thoughts - ditch this battery stat app, i wouldn't be surprised if that is hurting you. Post the standard battery drain, display time on, time without signal. We would be more than willing to help you but if i turn my phone on at 8am and do all my stuff during the day and at 8pm i have 40% left, I am happy.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh eric it was you that posted that thread. Good thread man. All of the battery garbage floating around is useless without showing screen on time and commenting on the brightness setting.

Last edited:
Reactions: eric3316

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
I've found the E4GT to have great battery life so far. I'm a very heavy user and the battery on this thing is easily lasting me twice as long as my Evo did.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Bla bla bla same old same old from dg.
This thread is a waste of time the guy is trying to stir up trouble simple as that why mods let it continue is beyond me.
He would of been booted out of my playground a long time ago.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Bla bla bla same old same old from dg.
This thread is a waste of time the guy is trying to stir up trouble simple as that why mods let it continue is beyond me.
He would of been booted out of my playground a long time ago.
Bla bla bla stop trying to censor free speech ..I have provided proof that this phone is crap and I will continue to do so until the people are aware..how about going to the sprint forum and you will see that this is anothercrap sammy product

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Where ar eyou getting poor coverage or reception? Mine works great until I go into a metal building such as a protable building or work shop, and then I have nothing, but that's with any phone.

These are great phones IMHO.
I am in houston texas and never had a sinal drop on my evo or photon

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
Bla bla bla stop trying to censor free speech ..I have provided proof that this phone is crap and I will continue to do so until the people are aware..how about going to the sprint forum and you will see that this is anothercrap sammy product

Your not doing anyone a favor. Your just sprouting gibberish, go away. What phone do you have now by the way? Just go back to your old crappy phones.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site

You have provided squat......I have provided proof that this phone's battery is better then any other Android phone to date.

I usually ignore it when people say someone is trolling or just making crap up and give the OP the benefit of the doubt but you have proven you are truly that. Please disappear in a kindly manner because it is obvious no one wants to listen to the crap you spew out.

stryfe

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I'm losing 1% every 2 minutes when I'm browsing on 3G. Is this normal? All other radios and apps off. Other than that this phone battery is fine. I've reformatted my internal memory and SD card. Didn't help. I'm on the stock kernal.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm losing 1% every 2 minutes when I'm browsing on 3G. Is this normal? All other radios and apps off. Other than that this phone battery is fine. I've reformatted my internal memory and SD card. Didn't help. I'm on the stock kernal.

You really need to see your stats after a full days worth of use. Based on what you are saying, if that were true the whole time it would take you 200 minutes to drain you battery if you streamed over 3G the entire time, that would equal 3 hours and 20 minutes of on screen time which isn't bad if you were strictly to stream 3G data the entire time. Now in every day use, you are not going to be using data every single second of the time so your battery will vary and make up for it with other things you do.

You need to look at the whole picture and not just a quick observation because as you can see things aren't as bad as you think when you put it into perspective........

You should average 3.5 - 4 hours of on screen time with the SGS2. It is possible to hit more then 4 hours based on how you use the phone when it is on though. Signal, 3G, 4G and wifi will all play a role in it as well.

DirkBelig

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Bla bla bla stop trying to censor free speech ..I have provided proof that MY phone is crap and I will continue to do so until the people are aware...
FTFYT

Back in the Eighties, when Japan's auto industry was killing Detroit with better quality, I read an interview with the Chairman of Honda (IIRC) who was talking about how they strove to have as few defective units as possible because (paraphrasing), "It doesn't matter if, as a company, we have a rate of only .1% defective cars because for the owner of that particular car, the defect rate is 100%." Samsung has sold over 10 million - let's write that out: 10,000,000 - GS2 phones in 6 months and it's just the law of averages and mass production that there are a few duff units out there. Modern mass production is efficient, but when you're dealing with such microscopic components and tolerances, it's impossible to test for everything. To show you the speed with which they're moving product, when I registered my phone, it showed that the build date was only 12 days before I bought it. In less than two weeks, my phone came into being, was shipped from South Korea to America, then to a suburban Detroit Sprint store where I bought it. Wow!

The point is that no one is disputing that YOU may have a problem with YOUR unit, but for you to constantly troll that ALL of these phones are bad and thus you must conduct a jihad to make sure the word gets out about how universally terrible they are is just stupid. Are we all lying? Are we all on the take? No, the vast majority aren't experiencing the difficulties you are, so simple logic and common sense suggests that you have a duff unit and should exchange it or go buy something else and GTFO of here with your constant emo whining.

I have had sporadic, weird issues with mine, but they're so intermittent and possibly related to a rogue app that I can't just rage at Samsung for the problem. Last night, my phone started running HOT and the battery bled 25% in about 75 minutes. Looking with System Panel, it appeared one app had gone berserk; killing all processes calmed things down. Most of the time, when I have a good signal, I use about 10% battery in 4-6 hours. I wish there was more ability to see what's happening. (I'm not rooted so I can't use Wakelock monitoring apps.) The GPS sometimes loses lock or has extremely sluggish data speeds until it's rebooted. It's not perfect and I'm hoping there's a patch coming soon, but I'm not about to go all suicide bomber over the one or two times every two or three days it has a minor hiccup.

Try the decaf.

richjolliff#AC

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
One flaw that I know sucks the battery down is the ap widget. It is somehow tied to touch wiz. Unless you root it out, it will run in background(widget) even if you don't have it on touch wiz. Wierd problem. Uses a lot of data, and battery.
The only way to fix it right nowis to root it out of the os, or keep it active as a widget, but in the widget make the settings never refresh.
This has been posted quite a bit about touch wiz and the ap news app.

Reactions: IAmSixNine