Horrendous battery performance with usage

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. You should just get a different phone and go to their forum area. I happen to love my epic touch. The battery is easily double my old pre, and the reception is about the same, maybe a little better then my old Pre. I am sorry you don't like your phone, but i love mine. Maybe you have a faulty phone.

Dr.

He's been told this numerous times guys. Don't waste your breath. His only intention is to shout to anyone who will listen how bad this phone is. Over and over and over.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Great, lets move on and figure out what's keeping these phones awake. My phone is dropping roughly 10% an hour with light use.

kd0axs

Mar 13, 2010
Visit site
Great, lets move on and figure out what's keeping these phones awake. My phone is dropping roughly 10% an hour with light use.

Something is definitely wrong there. I lose about 10% an hour with very heavy usage. Yesterday with light usage I was at 92% after 4 hours off the charger.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Something is definitely wrong there. I lose about 10% an hour with very heavy usage. Yesterday with light usage I was at 92% after 4 hours off the charger.

I pulled my 32gb sd card just to see if that is the culprit. I don't know, maybe it's polling the card looking for something and it's keeping the phone awake.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I pulled my 32gb sd card just to see if that is the culprit. I don't know, maybe it's polling the card looking for something and it's keeping the phone awake.

There are 2 programs you can check out that might help.....

First is BetterBatteryStats that can be found for free below:
[APP] BetterBatteryStats adds battery history back to Gingerbread - xda-developers

The other is System Panel. There is free version and paid version in the market. The free version does not offering the monitoring feature which is what you would need. It is only available in the free version. I would try BBS first and see if that finds the culprit.

Can you give is us a list of apps you are using.....Also, try putting the AP News Widget on one of your pages if you do not have it there. Make sure to set it to not update. Then leave it on one of your pages. That widget has been known to cause problems and by adding it onto one of your pages it will stop draining.....

We will get to the bottom of your drain!

Reactions: Slingbox

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
I don't think Android OS has ever been more than 6 or 7 percent of total usage on my phone and my battery life is excellent.

As Gerry H. already stated on another one of dg's incoherent rants, there is no OS bug. If there was we would all have it. Battery monitor apps can be huge battery hawgs themselves and the only one I will use is Battery Status as recommended on Milo's battery usage thread. Ditch the live wallpaper and try pulling your SD card if your battery life sucks, too.

Dg obviously doesn't even want his phone to run well because then he wouldn't have anything to complain about. Kind of like a spoiled kid who can only get attention when they have a tantrum.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
As far as Android OS being high, it all depends on the percentage of your other items.

Lets say your phone is on for 4 hours and you have not turned your screen on. Even if Android OS ran for 1 minute in that whole time but your screen didn't, Android OS would be the highest percentage item because it ran more then anything else. So you might see it at 75 - 80% because it ran that percentage more then all other things up to that point.

It doesn't mean your phone was awake that whole time and it doesn't mean it killed you battery. You battery should have only dripped a small amount if you haven't used it even if Android OS shows 90%.

Now once you start using your phone more and the screen is being used more that Android OS number will start to drop....

If you have been using your phone a lot and your on screen time is a lot but you still see Android OS with a really high percentage, something is going on there.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
There are 2 programs you can check out that might help.....

First is BetterBatteryStats that can be found for free below:
[APP] BetterBatteryStats adds battery history back to Gingerbread - xda-developers

The other is System Panel. There is free version and paid version in the market. The free version does not offering the monitoring feature which is what you would need. It is only available in the free version. I would try BBS first and see if that finds the culprit.

Can you give is us a list of apps you are using.....Also, try putting the AP News Widget on one of your pages if you do not have it there. Make sure to set it to not update. Then leave it on one of your pages. That widget has been known to cause problems and by adding it onto one of your pages it will stop draining.....

We will get to the bottom of your drain!

I did a hard reset and formatted the USB section to start fresh. I signed into my google account and installed BBS and Battery monitor pro. Left AP on the last screen and set it to not update. I also went into my account settings for gmail and turned off Sync Books and Sync Picasa Web Albums as I don't need those syncing yet. I'm reading up on how to use BBS, will let me phone charge overnight back to 100% see how it goes tomorrow. I'm starting to think my phone is defective.

Kikoshi

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Here's an Easier way to See if the Android OS is mainly at fault " Which in certain cases it is but not in this way for some reason :p"
set your phone to AirPlane mode. You'll see that you will go from 99% to 99/98% in 4 Hours or More.
If you look at your battery status, the Android OS is the main one in my phone, but heck i didn't notice any drops :p

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
He's been told this numerous times guys. Don't waste your breath. His only intention is to shout to anyone who will listen how bad this phone is. Over and over and over.

Yeah no doubt.
dguidry12 is a version of "Occupy Wall Street" that marches throughout ET4G forums claiming to be the 99%

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Here's an Easier way to See if the Android OS is mainly at fault " Which in certain cases it is but not in this way for some reason :p"
set your phone to AirPlane mode. You'll see that you will go from 99% to 99/98% in 4 Hours or More.
If you look at your battery status, the Android OS is the main one in my phone, but heck i didn't notice any drops :p

Ok, I charged my phone to 100% switched it to airplane mode and went to bed, also did it with my evo. woke up at 7am and the evo was at 98% amd the GS2 at 67%. I think I got a screwed up phone. Not sure if this helps but here are some screen shots.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
I posted this over in hack/root sub forum in calks rom thread but what the heck this topic fits as well.
I rooted device yesterday installed Calkulin's E4GT v1.1 running with stock EG30 kernel.
The end result has been a good one battery use = to un-rooted device out of the box
hehe device performance is much faster though due to custom rom.

Device had great sleep with some use treating battery pretty nice.

Device Settings:
Display 50%
GPS enabled
3G data

Full charge 10hr & 30 min on battery
Total of 19 minutes screen on checking email , Sent a couple screen shots in emails , Some Gtalk , Screen shots ,Open weather apps ,adjusting settings etc.
Action While device was sleeping -
2 FancyWidget GPS updates.
3 WeatherBug Elite GPS updates.
A couple tapatalk thread alerts & emails received LED blinking for 9 Hr

Last edited:

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Ok, I charged my phone to 100% switched it to airplane mode and went to bed, also did it with my evo. woke up at 7am and the evo was at 98% amd the GS2 at 67%. I think I got a screwed up phone. Not sure if this helps but here are some screen shots.

Check your PM.....

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site

Something bads going on ,your device shows awake while it should be sleeping.
You need to spend a couple bucs and pick up app called 'System Panel' to monitor whats going on in detail.
When it comes to EVO battery performance comparison its worthless for first 10% of battery use due to how device reads charge available Its incredibly inaccurate .
You can turn on EVO display for 5 min and loss 7-10% sometimes right off the top.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
OK, I got System Panel installed and turned on monitoring. I'm going to leave it in airplane mode and see what on and eating battery. I was thinking of taking it to Sprint and see what they say. I didn't buy it from them but I due have insurance.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
OK, I got System Panel installed and turned on monitoring. I'm going to leave it in airplane mode and see what on and eating battery. I was thinking of taking it to Sprint and see what they say. I didn't buy it from them but I due have insurance.
Good call!
Please keep us up to date.

adding,
It looks like data related app of some sort is working hard to make connection but not able to due to Airline mode.
App should go into sleep discontinue hits yet keeps on working thus awake battery drain is occurring while device appears to be in sleep-screen off.

DataHawg

Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
As far as Android OS being high, it all depends on the percentage of your other items.

Lets say your phone is on for 4 hours and you have not turned your screen on. Even if Android OS ran for 1 minute in that whole time but your screen didn't, Android OS would be the highest percentage item because it ran more then anything else. So you might see it at 75 - 80% because it ran that percentage more then all other things up to that point.

It doesn't mean your phone was awake that whole time and it doesn't mean it killed you battery. You battery should have only dripped a small amount if you haven't used it even if Android OS shows 90%.

Now once you start using your phone more and the screen is being used more that Android OS number will start to drop....

If you have been using your phone a lot and your on screen time is a lot but you still see Android OS with a really high percentage, something is going on there.

You are exactly right, Eric. When I posted that my OS is rarely more than 7 or 8 percent I was talking about under normal usage. I'm glad to see you guys and gals working towards solving this problem. Once again I am learning stuff from those of you who know a lot more than me.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site

Nope you likely don't have a screwed up phone. The battery and this phone sucks and its typical of Samsung products. My phone does the same thing and even worse.. What for my most recent screenshots its pathetic. This is my second phone because sprint replaced my other.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay