Horrendous battery performance with usage

qfnol31

Jul 31, 2010
Visit site
How do you guys take those screen shots?

I'm at just over ten percent with the screen on four hours, thirteen and a half hours off the charger, chatting for much of the day, and only half of my use via WiFi... The rest was on a weak 3G signal.

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Sling, I wish mine would get half of that. I had Sprint re-flash it and it seemed to help but still not lasting as long as my evo was. Just look at my discharge rate compared to what you guys are getting. The 2nd screen shot I got it down to 35% and I had a 2 hour meeting so I threw it on the charger real quick. I know cell coverage plays a big part in it but my android os is always high. I'm not giving up on this phone yet and I don't think Sprint is going to replace it as I didn't buy it from them.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Sling, I wish mine would get half of that. I had Sprint re-flash it and it seemed to help but still not lasting as long as my evo was. Just look at my discharge rate compared to what you guys are getting. The 2nd screen shot I got it down to 35% and I had a 2 hour meeting so I threw it on the charger real quick. I know cell coverage plays a big part in it but my android os is always high. I'm not giving up on this phone yet and I don't think Sprint is going to replace it as I didn't buy it from them.

grrr not good.
Who did you purchase it from?

Stearmandriver

May 9, 2011
Visit site
battery.png

Those gaps in service are the device in airplane mode, during short flights.

I know the screen-on time looks limited, but consider that's over the course of 18.5 hours. Also, notice that the phone was awake for a lot more of the time than the screen was on.

So that's 18.5 hours, with over 40% battery left, with moderate usage. Sure, without those spans in airplane mode, I'd have lower battery. With more screen-on time, it'd be lower. But this is solid moderate usage when the phone is on - texts, calls, browsing... and I've got almost half the battery left after over 18.5 hours.

Yeah.. that's a TERRIBLE battery, DGuidry. ;)

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Click to view quoted image

Those gaps in service are the device in airplane mode, during short flights.

I know the screen-on time looks limited, but consider that's over the course of 18.5 hours. Also, notice that the phone was awake for a lot more of the time than the screen was on.

So that's 18.5 hours, with over 40% battery left, with moderate usage. Sure, without those spans in airplane mode, I'd have lower battery. With more screen-on time, it'd be lower. But this is solid moderate usage when the phone is on - texts, calls, browsing... and I've got almost half the battery left after over 18.5 hours.

Yeah.. that's a TERRIBLE battery, DGuidry. ;)

Based on that screen shot I would not say that is heavy moderate usage though......Looks more light to me but would need to see the actual on screen time.......

Anyway, whether you use the phone a lot or a little, battery life on this phone when compared to other Android phones with the same usage is definitely the best there is...

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
grrr not good.
Who did you purchase it from?

Picked it from a coworkers buddy who upgraded to the iPhone 4s. I got it fully charged this AM and will not charge it till it's really low.

Is there any way to reset that graph? Or save it and start another.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Picked it from a coworkers buddy who upgraded to the iPhone 4s. I got it fully charged this AM and will not charge it till it's really low.

Is there any way to reset that graph? Or save it and start another.

I've never had the need or desire to reset my system battery stats and graph, so I don't know if there is an app or function that would do it (I would imagine there is), but I know that fully charging your phone resets the graph.

Regarding your battery drain, I don't know if System Panel is basically telling you the same thing, but you may want to try dropping the 2 bucks on BetterBatteryStats (all one word on the Android market). If you're a member of XDA, you can also download and install it for free.

You'll notice on the shots I've attached that my suspend and events/0 are very low after 3 hours off the charger. 12 and 11 seconds respectively. You can also see from my battery stats that my Android OS is very low. This could give you something to compare it to if you decide to try BetterBatteryStats. BetterBatteryStats will also allow you to easily identify Apps that are wakelocking your phone, but it doesn't seem like wakelocks are your problem from looking at your most recent battery chart.

A couple of other things that have possibly been attributed to high suspend and events/0 activity has been an external SD card, Google syncs (mail and calendar specifically), and certain exchange email setups. I would consider how you may interact with any of these variables (at minimum I'm sure you sync Google) and see if removing any of them from your user environment (one at a time) improves your situation.

Reactions: gottria

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
Got BBS installed but not sure if it needs to monitor it for a day or so. But here is what it says now. Took my battery off at 7:30am and it's now 2:07. WiFi was turnedbon at noon.

I have been in the shop all day so the phone base been in the same area for most of the day. I'm a field tech I'm usually out and about.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I'm at 7 hours off the charger right now (1 more hour than you in your screenshot) and my suspend and events/0 are both at 35 seconds. Yours are at 6 minutes, far far far more system use than mine with an hour less off the charger. Something is cranking those two processes for sure ... the hard part is figuring out what.

What is your screen on time in the above screenshot? This is important in getting an idea of where Android OS should be. For example, I have 2 hours of screen on time today, my display is 57% of use and AOS is 10%.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Sorry forgot to post that one.

See this does play a part in your high AOS (although I still believe something is causing elevated system processes in your case). My screen on time is 29% of my time off the charger today. Yours is 8%. The more you have the screen on, the higher the display % goes (duh..yeah I'm Captain Obvious) which conversely reduces your AOS as a total percentage of your battery use.

Sent from my E4GT via Tapatalk

gottria

Trusted Member
Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
By the way, this is probably the best post I've read about Android OS, what it is, how to measure it, how to understand if you have a problem and some suggestions (albeit limited because there are so many variables involved) on what you can do about it.

[REF][Rewrite 26/10] What the Android OS usage is and what it's not - xda-developers

Good link, thanks. I got my wakelocks.csv file from my phone, just having a hard time trying to get it formatted correctly in excel, and I'm on a Mac. Once that is formatted correctly I hope to have more info on why my phone wont sleep.

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Good link, thanks. I got my wakelocks.csv file from my phone, just having a hard time trying to get it formatted correctly in excel, and I'm on a Mac. Once that is formatted correctly I hope to have more info on why my phone wont sleep.

Right on. Also make sure you download CPU Spy to understand how much time your CPU is spending at the various frequency levels.