If you were in my position what would you do?

Which should I go with?

• Total voters

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Currently, I have an upgrade available on the first of December this year and have the Epic 4G. Would you wait for the Galaxy Nexus (it's bound to come to Sprint sooner or later, hopefully sooner), or just jump onto the E4GT?

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
My honest opinion is that I would wait on something else. The phone has a great screen and camera but thats about it. Also, with all of the problems with the phone I'd surely wait to see if Samsung is going to address these issues with updates. So far it doesn't seem like they are as I have seen HTC and Moto put out updates 3 weeks after phone launch. We all know that Samsung has the worst customer service of any cellphone manufacturer

atl10pnr

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Wait till the phone you have is no longer doing what you need it to do. There will always be something better. Even tho I like this phone like all phones it's not perfect. Don't think there will ever be one either.

handsomeprince#AC

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
My honest opinion is that I would wait on something else. The phone has a great screen and camera but thats about it. Also, with all of the problems with the phone I'd surely wait to see if Samsung is going to address these issues with updates. So far it doesn't seem like they are as I have seen HTC and Moto put out updates 3 weeks after phone launch. We all know that Samsung has the worst customer service of any cellphone manufacturer
You say to hold off because the S2 JUST has a nice camera and screen...so compared to the vast majority of other phones on the market; what are they superior in?

Can you please elaborate on why to hold off on for the galaxy nexus (which will be samsung made) and/or any other phone as opposed to getting the S2 now?

sko580

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
If you can, hold off until the new integration of LTE. If you notice, Sprint is no longer pushing the 4G capabilities and latest phones being released are just 3G.

Like someone else mentioned, wait until your phone craps out. And if it does and you need a phone to get by the time, you can get the Motorola Photon on Craigslist for a decent price. I am sure the SGSII will eventually come down in price eventually.

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
This phone is amazing and I have not had any issues with it. There is no proof the Galaxy Nexus is coming to Sprint. The only reason to hold out for something else would be to get a device that supports LTE. Otherwise this phone is truly top of the line and will have ICS on it one day.

apinkel

Jul 12, 2010
Visit site
I personally prefer the specs of the Epic Touch over the Nexus so given the choices you've laid out I'd probably just go with the Epic Touch. I'd be more inclined to wait for an LTE device mid next year then to wait for the nexus. If I was jonesing for a new device now I'd see if I could find a Photon, Evo 3d or Epic touch second hand for a reasonable price.

oskar1995

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
Figured I'd add my two cents. I'm a huge fan of this phone, its light, thin, beautiful screen and a good camera, fast and doesn't lag.

The Nexus is going to add qHD (which I'm sure is great, but I'm not a fan of at all which I'd be more than happy to share why if you wanted) along with a couple other bumps, modifications. Fairly similar device with no official launch date.

Personally, in your shoes, it would depend on 4g coverage. If its great, I would get the Samsung GS2. If not I would probably wait until the LTE implementation, and jump on one of the first phones offering LTE for Sprint. Its going to be a lot faster than 3g, and have great coverage once it is rolled out.

s14tat

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site

1t0m.jpg

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I vote trolling.

The sad part is, I'm very sure that he's not. Not intentionally anyways.

OP, it's a tough if not impossible question to answer really. It's such a personal thing. But in an attempt to put myself in your shoes, I would probably wait until Sprint released a phone I want that is equipped for LTE. This phone is awesome, but there will be awesome phones released next year too. Maybe it'll be the Nexus, maybe it'll be the GSIII, or maybe it'll be something from HTC (maybe Moto too but it's more of a niche brand on Sprint). In addition, next year's releases are practically guaranteed to have a HD resolution screen. My point is, by December, I think it would be worth waiting another 4-6 months for an LTE phone with higher screen resolution.

The OG Epic is still a good phone, and while it would probably be tough, I think there's a good chance you'd be happier if you waited.

MannyZ28

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
The Galaxy Nexus doesn't have qhd resolution (540 x 960) it has 720p resolution (720 x 1280). Anyways, if you land up waiting for a phone of which we're not even sure if it will come to Sprint (chances are it will though), it won't be much further down the road until you will see the first quad core phones being introduced at CES next January.

This is a very personal decision, is your current Epic too slow? Are you tired of the keyboard? Do you have apps that don't run great on the Epic? Do you just want a bigger screen with same resolution as your current Epic? Are you tired of Touchwhiz 3 and want some Touchwhiz 4 action instead?

I personally went from an Evo 3d to the ET4G because the 3d didn't seem to be a huge step over the 4G, it just looked too familiar, the overall UI was still kinda jerky, I didn't like the carousel thing that prevented live wallpapers to run properly, and because my particular unit (the second one) gave me all kinds of strange problems. The Evo 3d played the games the 4G couldn't handle, and that was about it. So I went to the ET4G and couldn't be happier, it's an awesome phone, but it also brought a ton of changes to the scenery with a totally different UI and finally having none of the lag I experienced with the Evos. So when you go from the Epic to the Epic Touch, you might feel the same way as I did going from the Evo 4G to the 3d. Combing that with all the exciting news about new phones coming out next year, and you might regret your decision. As far as the Galaxy Nexus, yeah, it's fast, but not much faster in than any of the other current phones out there. It does have that 720p screen and the fastest update support being that it's a Nexus, but again, it's "just" a dual core phone.

Just a few things to think about...

grimduk

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Currently, I have an upgrade available on the first of December this year and have the Epic 4G. Would you wait for the Galaxy Nexus (it's bound to come to Sprint sooner or later, hopefully sooner), or just jump onto the E4GT?

Well first off its just an upgrade on sprint and not the end of your contract I would get what ever is out cause you will lose that option after December 31 they are changing the upgrade police at sprint so add that to your decision making

Sent from my Nocturnal 3D using Tapatalk

dtblair24

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
I feel like by the time Sprint gets the Nexus, there will be other phones with even better specs. Similar to how the Nexus S 4G was released pretty late for Sprint. But I gave up on the waiting for something better game. Always better stuff in the pipeline, so I buy, and sell and wheel and deal my way to keep up. I understand people are not that obsessed though.

Slingbox

Apr 13, 2010
Visit site
Nexus more then likely wont hit till mid 2012....maybe later due to LTE build out usable enough to sell it as LTE device.
That's a long wait I couldn't deal which is why I took on GS2.
Am I happy with my decision? Yes.
It's the best smart phone currently available suet's me well great investment no need to upgrade anytime soon....I'm thinking mid 2013.
Network will be LTE strong in that time frame many LTE devices to choose from....
hehe Nexus 3 maybe :)

wpbfjr

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
If you notice, Sprint is no longer pushing the 4G capabilities....latest phones are just 3G.

in my experience, sprint realized the absurdity of having tech support tell the customer to "go outside, that is where the 4g service is".

huh? zero 4g service from the 20th floor roof of the apt building that is in the middle of 4g coverage?

fail and goodbye to sprint!

wait til phone dies and get next great thing....

wpbfjr on the road

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Okay let me be more specific of what I want in my phone (I realize now I was pretty vague haha). 4G is not a main concern as I live in a small town (Pop. of 32,000) and will be highly unlikely for me to get 4G here. I don't really care for the SoC (TI OMAP 4460 in Galaxy Nexus) because it has come to the point where SoCs are only marginally better between each other and I don't think quad-core will make a very big difference at the moment. I also would really enjoy having that high def 4.65" screen (bigger the screen, the better). Storage won't really be a problem since I usually use tunein for music and netflix for movies. I also would like my phone to have a lot of support and ROMs which will keep my interest in it (since there will be no more 1-year contracts anymore). Also, I'm starting to get tired of my epic :p after seeing all these spec-tacular (pun intended) come out. There have been a bunch of beastly android devices that came out this year. Also, I'm tired of using a 2800mah battery to make sure my Epic goes through the day and it bugs out but I can't blame the phone for that (running CM 7.1 Beta). Overall, I would just want a phone that will capture my interest for the next two years without me being swayed by them haha. I've heard of reports of Sprint getting the Galaxy Nexus around December-January from a couple of sites (there were also some poster leaks of the Sprint Galaxy Nexus). Well, there's my clarification.

Officerpolabear

Jan 16, 2011
Visit site
Oh shoot, I thought that Sprint said that Gold Premier members were able to save that 1-year upgrade until Dec. 2012 but it's actually Dec. 2011. I will probably have to get it at the end of September, just in case the Galaxy Nexus comes out within the 30-day window. Does anyone know if Best Buy still use 30-day windows or did they shrink it down to 14 days? Also, I live in Oregon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy