Losing service

bigboy96

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
A few days ago I just rooted my samsung 4g galaxy s11 by sprint Android Version 2.3.4 kernel version 2.6.35.7 . I keep losing service and I just notice that when sending texts that only 1/2 or there has been a few people saying that they didnt get anything that I have sent . I was wondering if anyone else has had any problems with this

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI, there is a rooting sub-forum above that would probably be more appropriate for your recent rooting related posts and questions. Anyhoo ...

LOS (loss of service) is a known issue with this phone (by both Samsung and Sprint), that affects both stock and rooted owners. However, custom kernels that are compiled from the source code Samsung provided appears to increase the chance of LOS. It's not rooting that does it, but rather using a custom complied kernel. A potential solution is to use the stock kernel that was pulled directly from an un-rooted phone (i.e. not based on Samsung's released source code).

What you listed is not exactly your kernel version. I happen to know from you past posts that you used the LoStKernel to root, but others reading this would probably have no idea what you're talking about. I can't tell exactly what LoStKernel you're running, but I'm using the latest experimental kernel which is 1.0.0.8 (shows as 2.6.35.8-LoStKernelExp+ on the phone). It's been running great for me and I consider it to be the best version of the kernel so far.

I would suggest you download 1.0.0.8 from here chris41g.devphone.org Download the ZIP file, move it to your phone and flash it with CWM. Watch qbking's videos on using CWM if you're not familiar with it.

If your problems continue, you're probably one of the unlucky ones that lives in a LOS prone area. In that case, you can go back to the stock kernel by flashing this [KERNEL][ODIN] Stock Pulled Repacked with CWM5 using Odin. You will keep root after flashing this so you'll end up with Root + Stock Kernel + Custom Recovery.

cosmoworks

May 20, 2011
Visit site
bigboy96, does your kernel say "2.6.35.7-gf37432d-dirty"? That's the kernel I'm on and I've had LoS twice since rooting earlier this week. Prior to rooting, I never had LoS, ever.

Thinking of switching to the LoStKernel, that JayWill72 recommended.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Just an FYI, there is a rooting sub-forum above that would probably be more appropriate for your recent rooting related posts and questions. Anyhoo ...

LOS (loss of service) is a known issue with this phone (by both Samsung and Sprint), that affects both stock and rooted owners. However, custom kernels that are compiled from the source code Samsung provided appears to increase the chance of LOS. It's not rooting that does it, but rather using a custom complied kernel. A potential solution is to use the stock kernel that was pulled directly from an un-rooted phone (i.e. not based on Samsung's released source code).

What you listed is not exactly your kernel version. I happen to know from you past posts that you used the LoStKernel to root, but others reading this would probably have no idea what you're talking about. I can't tell exactly what LoStKernel you're running, but I'm using the latest experimental kernel which is 1.0.0.8 (shows as 2.6.35.8-LoStKernelExp+ on the phone). It's been running great for me and I consider it to be the best version of the kernel so far.

I would suggest you download 1.0.0.8 from here chris41g.devphone.org Download the ZIP file, move it to your phone and flash it with CWM. Watch qbking's videos on using CWM if you're not familiar with it.

If your problems continue, you're probably one of the unlucky ones that lives in a LOS prone area. In that case, you can go back to the stock kernel by flashing this [KERNEL][ODIN] Stock Pulled Repacked with CWM5 using Odin. You will keep root after flashing this so you'll end up with Root + Stock Kernel + Custom Recovery.

Jay, there are several links in that post....the first link is what we want, StockCWM5.tar.md5? --- I am thinking of going back to this if I have more LoS/ghost LoS... So far today, no problems except no data roam. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

bettyn100

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I tried the kernal that came with calkulkins rom and had LOS then switched to the stock kernal and still had LOS. I'm now using the rogue kernal and have been doing great ever since!

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Jay, there are several links in that post....the first link is what we want, StockCWM5.tar.md5? --- I am thinking of going back to this if I have more LoS/ghost LoS... So far today, no problems except no data roam. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yes my dear. Or better yet, download the ZIP and flash it in CWM.

Reactions: ihbsbA

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
:-D thank you... I'm better at Odin than CWM... (? Don't know how to flash using CWM............)

Sent wirelessly with Tapatalk.

Was your EVO that you had rooted? If so, you flash the same way in CWM like you did when you had your EVO. The good thing about flashing like that is you do not need to be by a computer......

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Was your EVO that you had rooted? If so, you flash the same way in CWM like you did when you had your EVO. The good thing about flashing like that is you do not need to be by a computer......

Yes my Evo was rooted, I vaguely remember doing it - I did it once and never updated that phone again. lol

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
:-D thank you... I'm better at Odin than CWM... (? Don't know how to flash using CWM............)

Sent wirelessly with Tapatalk.

CWM is really a better tool to use to flash your phone once you have it. It's quite easy to use, and the chance of doing something wrong and screwing up your phone is far less than using Odin.

Odin also has a small downside, that could come into play if you ever have to take your phone to Sprint for service. Every time you flash something in Odin, it's recorded on a counter. You can see the counter when you boot the phone in download mode. It's unlikely Sprint would notice it, but they would probably notice the yellow triangle on the splash screen when you boot the phone.

There's a solution to this however. You can buy a USB jig from EBAY that will clear your flash counter and clear the yellow triangle for about 2 bucks. Here's the link

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...g&_itemId=150693951120&_trksid=p2047675.m4099

Qbking also has a video on using the dongle.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site

I just flashed to this 5 minutes ago, got on the phone on a phone call and the phone totally turned itself all the way off during the call. ARGH! WTH!?!

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
Just rebooted and got on the phone again, talked for 30 minutes and now the screen won't turn on! It also got VERY warm.......

I'm so mad I could spit..... what did I do???

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Just rebooted and got on the phone again, talked for 30 minutes and now the screen won't turn on! It also got VERY warm.......

I'm so mad I could spit..... what did I do???

I don't know. What steps did you take exactly? Also, look in your App drawer. Do you still see Superuser?

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
I don't know. What steps did you take exactly? Also, look in your App drawer. Do you still see Superuser?

I just flashed back to LoStkernel...... before, yes, Superuser was still there - because Light Flow comes on and it said "Light flow has been granted super user permission"

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
My steps were:

Power off.
Load Odin - Loaded the tar file you posted.....
Put phone in Odin mode.
Plug in USB.
Flash.
Done.

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
May have been a bad download. It happens sometimes. Make sure everything is back to normal on LoStKernel before you try again.

ALSO!!!!!!!!

If you're not going to use CWM for flashing, please at least use it to make a backup before you flash anything.

• 1. Power off your phone
    2. Once fully powered off, hold down volume up and the power button at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the CWM screen (you'll see the Samsung Galaxy SII logo flash twice)
    3. Use the volume up and down buttons to navigate to backup, press the home button to select (the power button is back by the way).
    4. Let it go through the entire backup process

This way you'll have an image of your existing system that you can restore if something like the above happens. You ALWAYS want a backup of your working system before you go making changes.

Reactions: ihbsbA

ihbsbA

May 16, 2010
Visit site
May have been a bad download. It happens sometimes. Make sure everything is back to normal on LoStKernel before you try again.

ALSO!!!!!!!!

If you're not going to use CWM for flashing, please at least use it to make a backup before you flash anything.

• 1. Power off your phone
    2. Once fully powered off, hold down volume up and the power button at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the CWM screen (you'll see the Samsung Galaxy SII logo flash twice)
    3. Use the volume up and down buttons to navigate to backup, press the home button to select (the power button is back by the way).
    4. Let it go through the entire backup process

This way you'll have an image of your existing system that you can restore if something like the above happens. You ALWAYS want a backup of your working system before you go making changes.

Never done that before............ :eek: ......great googly moogly.....