My wife dropped her Epic 4G Touch in the water. I let it dry out and everything came back up. The only thing is the touch screen does not work most of the time. We have the protection plan but was wondering if we take it to Sprint is there any way that they can tell if it has been dropped in water. I know on the iPhone there is a small indicator on the bottom of the phone that turns red when it gets wet. Just wondering because if they do have a way to tell water damage, they might not fix it and have to pay for a replacement phone via our insurance plan which would be $100 bucks! Thanks.
    11-09-2011 04:57 PM
    Chances are you'll have to pay the $100 anyway because they won't just swap it out (usually)
    But,if you look on top of your battery (right next to the metal strips on it) that's the water damage strip. Try putting it in right for 3-4 days, or even buy a new battery.
    11-09-2011 06:46 PM
    Chances are you'll have to pay the $100 anyway because they won't just swap it out (usually)
    But,if you look on top of your battery (right next to the metal strips on it) that's the water damage strip. Try putting it in right for 3-4 days, or even buy a new battery.
    he meant put it in *rice* for a couple of days. that trick does work but turning on your phone without getting it completely dried may have messed up some internals. I would give this a shot and let it completely dry out before exchanging it and paying $100.

Good luck
    11-09-2011 06:56 PM
    Further clarifying, open the phone up, lay it on rice in a ziplock and leave it alone for a couple days. I've done this to a couple phones (not mine yet thankfully), and it's worked. The rice acts as a desiccant and absorbs moisure in the ziplock. Keeping it in a warmer (but not hot) location helps speed up the process a bit.

Totally agree with repinphilly - give it a shot - at worst, it does no harm.
    11-10-2011 09:09 AM
    Any repair center will open your phone and see residue from when the water dried. So if you want to see if they will replace it you would want to take it apart first and remove the residue with a tooth brush and rubbing alcohol. Also just remove any moisture indicators that you find.
    11-10-2011 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD