Too late to buy Sprint's Epic 4G Touch?

drk65

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree. The simple, cheap, yet very effective TPU case adds just the right amount of girth and anti-slippage in my opinion. Not to mention the matte black looks great. My only beef with the case is the volume button cover, but it's minor, and there are ways around it if I really wanted to do it.

I agree on the addition of the TPU case for better size and security.

The easiest fix I've found and successfully used for the TPU Volume Rocker issue is quite simple... Just remove the case, cut 2 or 3 small pieces of duct tape that will fit on the inside of the volume "buttons" on the TPU case, apply the tape on the inside of the case in the volume indentation area, and put the phone back in the case. The volume control should be easily accessible now with the case on. However, when I first started with 3 pieces of tape, the volume control became too easy to change. So, I changed to 2 layers of tape, and that provided me with the perfect compromise between easy access and not accidentally changing the volume.

Give it a try... It's far easier than the alternative of cutting out the rubber buttons, which also may compromise the tightness and integrity of the entire TPU case. Let me know if it works out for you.

studentdoctor

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
So I went to the store today to get my upgrade and they wanted a 2-year agreement and the phone would be $199.99. Online however, they allowed a 1-year contract but the phone would be $259. So I opted to order online with the 1-year agreement and the phone will be shipped shortly. Looking forward!!!

Last edited:

studentdoctor

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Where did you guys get your TPU cases? I already know I don't like how thin it is and how it feels like it's going to slip out of my hands.

NVM - I see them on Amazon now

ravenas

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Enjoy your new phone Docjay. I picked up mine the beginning of the month and adore it. I know there are all these releases of new phones but most don't have the same specs as the SGSII. No expandable memory (a big deal if you like carrying a small library of video to watch on the road), no user replaceable battery (also a big deal if you want to use your phone without worry) and screen quality on the iffy side.

I picked up my case on eBay but Amazon sells them now. Also you may want to pick up an extra battery just in case.

Don't give a second thought to the iPhone. I have plenty of iOS products and none really compare to the flexibility of Android. And the tiny 3.5" screen of the iPhone will drive you crazy whenever you try to read a web page.

sledgie#AC

Oct 29, 2010
Visit site
So I went to the store today to get my upgrade and they wanted a 2-year agreement and the phone would be $199.99. Online however, they allowed a 1-year contract but the phone would be $259. So I opted to order online with the 1-year agreement and the phone will be shipped shortly. Looking forward!!!

docjay where did you get the 1 yr contract from? businness acct? personal individual or famiily? sero or esrp? or did you get it from a non-sprint service provider?
thanks

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Congrats on your new SGS2ET4G docjay! You'll be very happy for a very long time once you get it config to your liking.

I'm 50/50 on the case. I really like the thinness, but on the other hand, I like that a case would likely shoulder some/most of the impact in case (pun intended) of a drop.

I'm in the get-a-screen-protector camp. Love the Steinheil. Cannot tell it's even there.

Agree with ravenas - the ET is one of the best phones out there right now, certainly on Sprint. I'm not even really interested in overclocking yet. The bigscreen alone reminds me every day that I made the right choice.

dollface

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site

Best Buy is offering this phone online and in the store for $199.00 with a free Samsung Blu-Ray player. I'm taking my receipt back to the Best Buy where I bought it 3 weeks ago and they're giving me a $90 credit for the player.

studentdoctor

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Thanks a lot guys! I must admit that I went from BB to an Evo 4G earlier this year went back to BB within days. Battery life was miserable on that phone and I did not have patience to adjust to the Evo. That will not be the case with this phone - gonna tough it out.

ravenas - Thanks for the reassurance. I'm a Google person (personal/business emails, calenders, docs, voice, chat, search, apps, etc.) so this helps too. I will probably get an iPhone for my wife when once she's eligible but the E4GT seems like the perfect fit for me. Given my business' dependence on email and that I'm on the road a lot, I hate to worry about battery life but don't want to carry a spare battery. I wish Samsung made the power pack for the E4GT and not just the AT&T - but hopefully it's in the making. Genuine Samsung Galaxy S2 i9100 Extended Battery Power Pack Case - Otherwise I'll get a case that work with a charging dock - or an extended battery.

sledgie - I got the 1-year contract through Sprint's website. It is a business acct.

TheMacs - Thanks. I'll be patient because it'll be quite an adjustment from my dinosaur BB Bold.

TheMacs

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
You're welcome. I came from a Palm Pre+... so I had just as steep a learning curve. (Will be learning androidspeak for quite some time. :) ) There are still things I miss about the Pre (really the OS), but there is no way I could go back.

studentdoctor

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
I got the phone yesterday morning and have been on it nonstop! It is unreal. There is no comparison with the blackberry. I do go though battery quickly and always have extended batteries on my phones so I'm going to look for a good one. The phone is too thin anyway. Maybe it'll be easier to type with a better grip too :)

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I got the phone yesterday morning and have been on it nonstop! It is unreal. There is no comparison with the blackberry. I do go though battery quickly and always have extended batteries on my phones so I'm going to look for a good one. The phone is too thin anyway. Maybe it'll be easier to type with a better grip too :)

I've found the biggest enemy of battery life on this phone is screen brightness if you're on it a lot. Try to keep your brightness as low as you can, or use auto brightness if you don't mind the bouncing back and forth sometimes in certain lighting conditions.

Gator352

Banned
Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
If you buy now Best Buy will give you a blue ray player. Good luck:)
I do like my Epic 4G Touch even though there are some issues. I have not had the LOS issues that some have reported (I have had the circle with the line but only for just a few seconds). I just have not really been able to roam 3g. Not sure if it is the type of towers around here or if it is related to the poor antenna, etc.?? Anyway keeping mine,

Just got mine at BB and the blue ray player is being shipped. The guy that sold it to me screwed the whole thing up. What should have been a 30 minute (or less) turn around, took almost 2 hours. What a dork. But he made sure I got my blue ray....I got the receipt showing it and if it doesn't come within specified time it states (shipped before 12/24/11) I will be back into the store raising picket signs.

Yeah, the 3G problem isn't the phone when roaming. Sprint let towers that were leased from VZW expire.

I'm keeping it BUT, I love my moPho as well.....debating which phone to give to my son. He's 12 and not real easy on things.

joshrocker

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
any one here have any experience with buying from amazon mobile ?

I bought my phone from them and it was painless. Got the phone in 2 days and I haven't had any issues. The only thing to keep in mind (and this goes with any Internet purchase really) is it will be a little more time consuming to return the phone if you decide you don't like it. I'd buy a phone from them again (I already do a lot of shopping with them anyway) in a heart beat.

Reactions: saleen2002

Tripsyk

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
I work for Best Buy Mobile, and yes, we are giving away a free blu-ray player with Epic 4G touch purchases right now. It's pretty legit.

studentdoctor

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Well I thought I'd gamble and take a chance with this LOS issue and unfortunately I think I just experienced it. Went 4 hours without receiving any emails/calls/text and figured something isn't right. Checked the phone and it had wireless on. So I turned wireless off and 4G on and 10 emails came through. Terrible! It had bars and not the circle with a line through it.

Now when I have 4G or Wireless on, I cannot access websites. It says the web page is not available. I've tried restarting the phone without luck. Any ideas why this happens? It happened before the LOS as well.

By the way, do 4G or wireless have to be on to get on the internet? Or can I keep them both off and access the internet?

Thanks!
PS - I've read that flashing/rooting? with Kalkulin's rom solves the LOS issue and makes the phone a lot better. But a non-tech guy like myself probably shouldn't be messing with that. And i don't even know if my issue qualifies as LOS.

dguidry12

Banned
Jun 4, 2010
Visit site
Well I thought I'd gamble and take a chance with this LOS issue and unfortunately I think I just experienced it. Went 4 hours without receiving any emails/calls/text and figured something isn't right. Checked the phone and it had wireless on. So I turned wireless off and 4G on and 10 emails came through. Terrible! It had bars and not the circle with a line through it.

Now when I have 4G or Wireless on, I cannot access websites. It says the web page is not available. I've tried restarting the phone without luck. Any ideas why this happens? It happened before the LOS as well.

By the way, do 4G or wireless have to be on to get on the internet? Or can I keep them both off and access the internet?

Thanks!
PS - I've read that flashing/rooting? with Kalkulin's rom solves the LOS issue and makes the phone a lot better. But a non-tech guy like myself probably shouldn't be messing with that. And i don't even know if my issue qualifies as LOS.

Hey..What is that old saying?? A hard head makes a very soft back side.. LMBO..Next time you will listen to a phone user that has no loyalty to a product and tells the truth. Anyways..why are you turning wireless off? There is no need to do that really and its best to keep 4g off if you have a good 3g signal because of battery drain.

studentdoctor

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
Hey..What is that old saying?? A hard head makes a very soft back side.. LMBO..Next time you will listen to a phone user that has no loyalty to a product and tells the truth. Anyways..why are you turning wireless off? There is no need to do that really and its best to keep 4g off if you have a good 3g signal because of battery drain.

I like to play statistics as it usually works out. Most people don't seem to be having any problems with the phone - and there are always some ways to correct them. Believe it or not, I have no regrets (yet) about getting this phone. It's truly remarkable. Anyway, I turn wireless off to conserve battery. I don't know if I have good 3G signal - I've never seen it say 3G on the top of the screen. I either have bars without a name by it - and when I turn on 4G, it'll say 4G. Am I on 3G when there is no indication of what it's using?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bnutz