How to legally use in the car?

Lord_MiL

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
This is my first android phone, so I don't know if this is typical or not, but I can't seem to find any good way to use my phone legally while driving. Where I live, you are only allowed to use a headset and with all 3 dumb phones I've had over the last ~6 years, I've had no problem using a regular bluetooth headset to make and receive calls, text, etc. while driving. Heck, my middle of the line GPS from 2008 even has a little button that straps to the steering wheel and lets you operate everything entirely with voice commands!

However, the E4GT doesn't respond to the headset's button being pressed if the screen is locked and a bit of searching shows this to be a common complaint. I've found that Voice Talk prevents the phone from locking, so I've tried launching that when I get in the car. However, the headset button closes that app. If I then press it again, it will relaunch Voice Talk, which is good. The problem is, then when I'm done with my call, text, etc. Voice Talk exits and eventually the screen locks again and I'm back to square one. There's also the obvious issue of the quick power drain of having the screen on all the time even if having Voice Talk constantly open worked.

Does anyone have any advice? This is really a major bummer given this is such a basic feature that has been around for many years.

xikle

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if it will help or not, but try going into voice talk > settings > voice talk setting and check the launch on bluetooth. It should auto launch voice talk so you can use your headset, and you should be able to set it to auto listen when connected to bluetooth so all you should have to say is "hi galaxy" to wake it.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

Lord_MiL

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, guys. Unfortunately, I don't think either of those is going to work for me. On my motorola headset, at least, holding the button performs a redial, so that's no use. As for having it launch automatically when bluetooth is connected, that makes the setup a little more convenient, but Voice Talk still closes after the first call, text, etc. leaving me without a way to make a call, etc. after the first one. Basically, I can use my headset to answer calls, but making calls or sending texts is limited to one per car drive - not totally useless, but close for long car trips.

Is nobody else using their E4GT while driving? Or are you all just relying on tapping the phone itself?

Murphy5111

Nov 19, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the responses, guys. Unfortunately, I don't think either of those is going to work for me. On my motorola headset, at least, holding the button performs a redial, so that's no use. As for having it launch automatically when bluetooth is connected, that makes the setup a little more convenient, but Voice Talk still closes after the first call, text, etc. leaving me without a way to make a call, etc. after the first one. Basically, I can use my headset to answer calls, but making calls or sending texts is limited to one per car drive - not totally useless, but close for long car trips.

Is nobody else using their E4GT while driving? Or are you all just relying on tapping the phone itself?

I wish I was using it while driving. My car has Bluetooth but I can't for the life of me figure out how. If I try a voice command it connects but doesn't do anything and says goodbye. I have to actually dial the number from the phone for it to work. Its very confusing. But at least I can talk through the car if I dial.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae