So many services I never use that continue to run, even after I kill them...

How can I keep them from running - some are for apps I don't want but can't remove (much of the SPRINT bloatware).

I've looked around the forums a bit and there doesn't seem to be a straight forward way to do this?
    11-27-2011 01:39 AM
    root and remove the bloat. As for apps that you want to keep but don't use often, just use titanium backup to back them up and uninstall. When you need it again restore.

Sent from your mom's phone.
    scaryhumor likes this.
    11-27-2011 01:43 AM
    I've read a little about rooting. I guess I need to read some more now.

Coming from WebOS - I did quite a bit of modifying of my device. I get the feeling that rooting is a different thing entirely?

When I root - am I basically going back to pure Android? (will I lose SWYPE)?

What will I like and not like about rooting?

Also - I'll be able to tether if I root - correct?

Thanks much
    11-27-2011 07:19 PM
    Rooting is basically giving you the option to install different roms for a different look and feel to suit your needs (or for fun), possible better batt life, and able to remove the bloatware.

If you root and stay stock, it will be the same as what you have now but with flashing of new rom capabilities and will not lose swype. But if you flash a different rom, it all depends on what the chef cooked into it. You'll have to read on what the rom has. Some might have swype, some not, some might be pure android, some might be touchwiz 3 but with a twist.

Rooting gives you options different to normal users and able to customize at will. Rooting (unless you root and stay stock) can have negative side affects like the dreaded Los (loss of service) that's pretty nasty.

I know on other phones rooting can give you access to free tethering, I'm not sure about the E4GT so I won't comment on this.

All in all, rooting can give you options otherwise not accessible to staying stock. Rooting can also cause problems. So take heed, read, understand, and do what YOU feel is in your best interests. Good luck!
    11-28-2011 04:16 AM
    I've read a little about rooting. I guess I need to read some more now.

Coming from WebOS - I did quite a bit of modifying of my device. I get the feeling that rooting is a different thing entirely?

When I root - am I basically going back to pure Android? (will I lose SWYPE)?

What will I like and not like about rooting?

Also - I'll be able to tether if I root - correct?

Thanks much
    Rooting just means that it allows you to have more control over your device (i.e. overclocking, running root apps that run at the low levels of android, and being able to flash different types of ROMs). The things you will like is free tethering, ad blocks, backing up of your apps and data, controlling your CPU for performance or battery life, and the list goes on. You are able to tether your phone without root, it would just cost money. However, with root, you can tether for free.
    11-28-2011 04:30 AM
    If you root, you will only lose what you choose to lose (sorry for the rhyme) through whatever method that you choose to uninstall or get rid of programs. Many choose to rid themselves of the "bloat", many ROMs do it for you. I like the customization that I get from rooting, so it's pretty much a no-brainer for me and my device. To each his own though...
    11-29-2011 11:52 AM
    root and remove the bloat...

Sent from your mom's phone.
    LOL
    11-30-2011 10:44 AM
    I've read quite a bit on the new-root method (http://forums.androidcentral.com/epi...ated-root.html). This seems pretty straightforward and I'll try it shortly.

Once I have successfully rooted using this method - how do I?:
    - remove bloatware?
    - get free tethering?
    - flash roms?

I've also been reading how to flash my device - but with this new rooting method I'm a little (a lot?) confused. Once I root this way - what do I need to do to flash a rom??

If I do decide to flash a ROM - is there one available that has no LOS, free tethering and removes bloatware? I don't know that I need Touchwiz (or do I) - I"m doing nicely with some other launchers (go launcher EX) and keyboards(SwiftKy x), messaging (gmail, GoSMS), browser (Dolphin).
    11-30-2011 03:54 PM
    I haven't yet rooted my phone b/c I'm told you void your contract w your provider if you root; they will then not support the phone if you have any problems with it after rooting.

Once rooted you would prolly have to hard reboot your phone to get it back to it's pre-root stage before you can take it in to be worked on.

would love to hear more about this from peeps who have rooted!
    11-30-2011 05:47 PM
    You definitely want to restore your phone to its factory settings before bringing it to a sprint store for any kind of service. Some people say sprint doesn't care, but better safe than sorry. I would buy a jig off amazon to reset the counter that counts how many times a custom rom has been flashed. Before taking the plunge I would read up on how to do ityand undo it fully as you can really mess up your device by not following instructions.

Coming from and evo I rooted that and had many custom roms and was especially happy with my experience and the same goes for now on my epic 4g touch.

Sent from my beast of a phone... Galaxy S2
    12-01-2011 09:20 AM
    I rooted with the automated method you posted the link to and kept the stock ROM so I could install the wireless tether app. The method works great and it's super easy. You can go back to stock with the same method as well but another member is correct that you will lose all the apps you installed if you have to do that.
    12-05-2011 04:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD