I have a Nexus S, and while I love it, I think that it was almost a mistake to buy it instead of just buying the Epic 4G Touch. My main reason for buying the Nexus was because I was a webOS guy for a long time, and I have had my share of software "burns" and figured the Nexus would probably be supported a little longer than the Epic. (I mean the original Epic took a year to get updated to Gingerbread...) Anyway, is there a good chance of support for life of the device on the E4GT? I'm still well within my 14 days to return this phone. I'm just not sure whether hardware is more important to me (Epic) or if software backing is more important (Nexus). I am not afraid to root and flash roms if that's what it takes for support of the E4GT, but I am unsure of how much backing it really has in the Dev world.

Any kind advice?
    11-29-2011 02:46 AM
    Just my 2 cents is that the Nexus probably won't even get the ICS update because Samsung is widely known for not supporting their products. The Epic touch update to ICS may happen in about 8 months considering Samsungs track record. Or the may abandon the Sprint Epic Touch version ICS and just update the others just as the never updated the Fascinate or the Captivate.
    11-29-2011 02:52 AM
    I'm fairly sure I read that the Nexus S was confirmed by Google to be getting ICS "soon." As I understand it Nexus phones get updates through Google, not through the manufacturer or carrier like most other phones.
    11-29-2011 03:36 AM
    I think things have changed from the days where a Samsung can get away with failing to update a device like the Epic to the next Android version. Today, I think companies MUST upgrade to be competitive. Think about it--HTC has already announced that pretty much all of their 2011 devices will be upgraded early in 2012. Can Samsung actually get away with either not upgrading the SGSII line at all, or waiting until the second half of 2012?

I don't think they can, and I think they know it. People will pick the manufacturer with the best upgrade record, because I think more and more are aware of such things. My bet is we'll have ICS on the Epic Touch in Q1 2012, maybe Q2 at the outside.
    11-29-2011 01:41 PM
    It will be upgraded soon. But Nexus s is going to have it I'd say within few weeks. It is a Google phone! and also I had the Nexus s 4g it was great but I really wanted something with Dual core so I went with the Epic I do wish this was pure Google so It would be updated ASAP.
    11-30-2011 01:23 AM
    I would take the Nexus S back and get the Epic Touch. It's just a better phone. I know that everyone is caught up in ICS, but think.if it like this, you may have to keep that phone for a while. Wouldn't you want a phone that has the most up to date hardware? The hardware in the Epic Touch wil last for a while. The Nexus S hardware is already old news.

Sent from my HTC Rezound
    12-03-2011 01:42 AM
    The E4GT has alot of dev support and if you are not afraid of flashing roms then you can keep the phone update yourself. The E4GT development forums can be found here Samsung Epic 4G Touch - xda-developers
    12-03-2011 02:26 AM
    I don't know, I think I'm in the opposite boat. I haven't seen or heard of one update for the ET yet and I'm starting to get worried. I kinda wish I had just gone for the Nexus and had guaranteed updates.
    12-03-2011 10:19 AM