An interesting article about privacy and Android

JayWill

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
Yup. I'm glad this is finally starting to get some media attention. There was a Forbes article today on this that had some good thoughts about how much detail about Carrier IQ is in the contracts we signed. I'm sure the contract talks about sending data about our phones for diagnostic and service related issues, but definitely not about logging every keystroke or the content of our SMS messages. Innocent or not, users need to know about it. All of it seems really shady to me. I'd imagine if many people on Sprint (and other carriers) knew exactly what Carrier IQ does, they would never have bought a phone or signed a service contract with them. So far, Verizon is the only carrier who has come out and said Carrier IQ is not installed on any of its mobile devices.

I know Carrier IQ is not on my phone and I plan to keep it that way, innocent and anonymous or not. It's the principal of it for me now. Explain it to me up front and give me a chance to make an educated decision to opt out. If not, I'm going to opt out by force. Unfortunately, your average mobile phone owner doesn't have that choice as if you ask them what root is they'll tell you it's something that grows in the dirt.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2fedes